Thread: Beginner Fly Rod Suggestions

Default Beginner Fly Rod Suggestions

I am interested in getting into flyfishing and would like to get a beginner set-up. I want in mainly for Reds/Trout for the Kenai. What is a good set-up for around $200-$300 with a lifetime warranty. I was thinking a 8wt, but would that be to much for trout. All suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

An 8wt would not be to much at all for a newbie..... I still use my 8 for reds.....I also use a 7 for them too......As far as bows I use a 6 or a 7 depending on the conditions....I have alot of buddies that come up for the first time and I put them on my 8 for trout.... The 7wt is a good all around rod but for reds you have to have some experience to handle them on a lighter rod....Especially in the combat zones.....Plus your fighting the current of the river.....TFO rods are good and reasonable.....Echo is another option...I know Mike at Mossys is carring the echo line.....Reels well that is another matter...There are as many opinions on them as rods......I use solitudes but they are in th 300 ranges....I have a scientific angler I payed 50 bucks for 10 years ago...It probably has 1000 reds on it and it still goes like a champ....Im sure you will get plenty of ideas from the boys on here
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Ross makes a new combo kit. I bought my wife a 7/8 weight Ross reel and 4 piece rod combo for Christmas. We haven't tried it out yet, but everything I have ever owned from Ross has been solid. It was a very reasonable cost. I think I bought the entire combo kit at Sportsman's warehouse for about $150-$200. It came complete with flyline, backing, a compact case, and an instructional video.

How is the TFO combo? The Ross sounds good also. I really want something so I can extend my fishing season, especially late fall and possibly into winter. Thanks for the ideas, anything else I should look at.

Lamson Konic reel for $120 and Echo rod from mossy's.

I'd get a 7 wt. Look at Echos
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

The key words here are "lifetime warranty" The least expensive, quality rods on the market with an outstanding lifetime warranty is either a TFO or an Echo. A Lamson Water Works "Konic" runs about $149 and offers an indestructable finish and a water proof, smooth drag that will hold up to constant sockeye abuse. Our number 1 selling fly rod size is a 9wt, then 8wt, then 6wt, 7&10. Keep in mind that a 9wt is only rated to 17# test to guide you in your decision. Tight lines.

errrr.....ww griggs? they still making quality, cheap, fishable fly rods? For the price, hard to beat.

If not, then I recommend SAGE!!!!

Whatever you do... get something with a lifetime warranty.
    Pursue happiness with diligence.

Quote Originally Posted by Wyo2AK View Post
    Whatever you do... get something with a lifetime warranty.
    Except for anything that says "Fenwick" on it !

Otherwise I suggest an 8wt, maybe a 7wt, after you get some experience and really learn to flyfish, collect a 5wt and you are set .

I ended up getting the TFO combo in 8/9 wt. I will eventually upgrade the reel to a lamson konic , but for now the TFO will work. Thanks for all the suggestions. What else may I need to fish the Kenai for trout this time of year. Flesh flies and beads?

AS I recall Trustworthy Soldotna had an Okumo combo rod and reel for about $50 in 8 wt. If the issue is reds, spool it with mono. A true fly line will run you around $50, more like $100 if you want the interchangeable tips (fast sink thru floater). Trout are mostly bead feeders or flesh flies, and added weight is needed most times in the Russian and Kenai. But there are exceptions. For Mat Valley streams I use a true fly setup with a medium sink tip and flesh flies. For the Kenai and Quartz Creek and others I use a mono line with weights. If you want grayling go lighter with a floating line and leader and a #14 or #16 mosquito. This may work on the Kenai as well at certain times.
    Terry

Nothing wrong with a TFO! After all, do you think a fish is thinking about what kind of stick you carry? I don't think so. It's all about presentation, and to perfect the presentation takes practice! Nice Choice!

Fish On!
    You know your not catching any fish when you start talking about the weather...

http://www.alaskansalmonslayers.com/