Thread: downrigger use

Default downrigger use

Am thinking of getting a couple of downriggers and noticed that some of the scotty images have multiple rods on one down rigger. Is it possible to run 2 rods off a single down rigger?

thansk!

dan

I've never done it, but you can "stack" multiple rods per downrigger. Look at some of the charter companies that fish in the Great Lakes, they really stack the rods up.
    Boatless

You better have someone that knows how to get all the gear in quickly. It can be done but really complicates gear fouling if a competent person isn't around to pull the extra gear. It seems that Kings know where to go to break off.

I've ran multiple rods on one downrigger. This was done with the use of some clips. It was effective, but if you had two take downs or a spunky fish, things got clustered.
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

I run two downriggers with two lines on each downriggers all the time. I generally space them 10 ft apart (vertically) and it works fine. You just run clips on the downrigger, and you have to watch the retreive so you don't knock the clip up when raising it. Do you have a question about doing this? It is pretty straightforward, and I think it is even explained in the Scotty downrigger manual.
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

I've done the stack. Can't stand it. Some guys love it.

Just was thinking of getting a down rigger or two for the summer. Just some manual ones. The boat I purchased came with cannon mounts on it.

They seem like spendy little buggers. Are downwinders easier than divers? It appears to me in theory it might be easier to troll with down riggers instead of divers, but only just started. Divers last summer but had some issues with tangles and such. Are down diggers easier. Telescoping booms berrer or do fixed work fine?

Thanks! Dan

Default I Prefer Not To Stack In Most Cases

When we are "prospecting" I will stack a couple of lines per downrigger to place more gear in the water and cover more of the water column, but when we find some fish I usually just run one line per rigger. It may cut down on production a tad, but the frustration of untangling gear or keeping two fish away from each other has cured me of full-time stacking.

Default Stacking lines

Here's a thread I started last year about stacking lines. I tried it for a very short time last summer, but like JKD I got "cured" pretty quickly and now run just one rod off each of two downriggers I have on the boat.

I did upgrade to electric Cannons earlier this fall and love them. The difference between downriggers and divers is that you can be much more precise with your depth using downriggers.

I've got a couple of Cannon Quick Release stacking clips available (they will work on any downrigger cable) if you want to PM me!

;-{)

I always had trouble with blowback too, when running 2 11" flashers with a 10lb lead. I fish an 11" flash 95% of the time when trolling, and catch 98% of my fish on flash/hoochies.

I've found that when I hand troll, I'll catch more fish when I have 2 or 3 spreads down per side, as opposed to having 4 or 5. I've smoked other hand trollers fishing the same drag who put an insane amount of gear down. A lot of that has to do with that I can get my gear up and down quicker with less spreads, and as a result, my gear spends more time fishing.

I'll add that when I'm sportfishing with 3 guys in my boat, we'll run 2 rods down. I'll keep a mooching rod baited up in the front of the boat, with the herring/hooks in a small container of brine to keep it fresh. When we grab a fish on the rigger, 2 of us will pull gear and fight fish, and the 3rd will hop to the front and drop the cut plug. I've caught a ton of extra fish doing that, since the fish are usually around the same bait ball. (sometimes I'll back the boat down while fighting the fish to get back over the bait) And, it's fun! We always fight over who is going to grab the rod in the front. One of my buddies won't want a downrigger fish, but just waits to drop the mooching rig.

Charterboat Operator

I have been stacking for years, and though there is always the occasional tangle, it is usually due to setting issues.
    As 270 stated, running 11" flashers can be disasterous, if you are running on both sets. I usually run the lower one short and either naked or perhaps a 4-6" flasher, with the larger up on top. depending on what depth we are trolling will go as close as 5 feet in the spread.
    I do agree that it IS easieronly running 1 line per rigger, if you only have 2 it is not a hard thing to do to stack them and get more lines inthe water. A lot of times when the fish are shallow it is more productive to only run 1 per line.
    When they are stacked, similar to 270's extra mooching line, pop the extra line off, before retieval, and let it sit or twitch it while another is fighting the one that hooked up. pretty amazing the multiples that come with it.

Default Free Trolling

Thought I'd add my 2 bits to the discussion. I usually troll with my Scotty downriggers. This last summer, however, I took a friend from Chicago out fishing. He has his own boat, and fishes for salmon on the Great Lakes. Anyway, he claimed downriggers were far too much work for trolling; he bought some dipsy divers, a few shiny lures, (no flashers) dropped them behind the boat and we were hauling in fighting silvers out of Seward, and, later, reds out of PWS. I was frankly amazed at how effective that simple combination was.

Rest of the summer, I left the down riggers at home and simply tossed over the divers and lures.

I bought two downriggers and all the gadgets for stacking etc. a couple years ago. Tried them out a few times with the idea in mind that it would be nice to set 2 rods on 1 downrigger at 20' and 40' and the other two at 30'and 50' while searching. Long story short they have been sitting in the shed for a while now.

Prior to that we used divers all the time. They are less accurate imo but function. I just hated dragging in the diver every time you reel in, fish or not.

Back to jigging, its easy and effective

If your interested in a couple of downriggers shoot me a PM.

I've done it alot at my guests request. On a calm day when the fish aren't real active its not a big deal. When you add active fish or rough sea's its just not efficeint. You spend half your time dicking around with gear when you should be fishing. The snaps on the line desingned to trip the electric eventually start to fail and ten your grinding cable threw snaps on top of everything else thats going on. Tons of people love it though. just not for me

I do it almost all the time because (sadly) I am almost never fishing in a place that has a lot of fish or has big fish. GIve it a try; your total investment will be about $30 for some clips. DO NOT use the stacker clips from Cannon. Get the Scotty ones that clip to the downrigger wire and are 48" from clip to clip, whether you stack or not. As others have said this lets you keep the balls in the water. The 48" line keeps you from having to lean way out to get to the clip, and also lets your line move enough so you can tell when you pick up a shaker or rockfish.

BIg_E