Thread: Roe sacks? Easier to use, but are they more efective?

Default Roe sacks? Easier to use, but are they more efective?

Normally, I prefer to just place a small chunk of cured roe through the egg loop and use it until it disintigrates, but now I'm starting to wonder about the pro's to wrapping the roe in a mesh bag and tying it to the hook. Has anybody used this tactic and do you think it works good enough to use repeatedly? It may not look as natural, but salmon are more scent based, so it might be as effective...

I like using the mesh bags when I fish eggs in a place with lots of dollies or other small fish that will devour your eggs within 30 seconds of them hitting the water. The sculpins have a large enough mouth that they can get hooked on large hooks and you spend all day fighting them for your bait.
    I'd agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong.

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Yeah, I do it all the time. As far as it "looking natural", a big glob of eggs isn't natural anyways, so don't get to hung up on what it looks like.

I use panty hose made in to little sacks. Was told it the smell of the roe that made it effective.
    Always worked well for me. Thanks Del
    Owner of Kenai Keeper www.kenaikeeper.com

Panty Hose!

How well I remember paying out $5.00 just to have a streamside woman cut into what she was wearing. You bet I used them, and they nailed the two giant silvers I had observed that were holding under a bridge. That's why I approached her in the first place and that was 21 years ago and I still remember it...

Rosenberg/Florida
    "Two decades researching and defining fishing opportunities in the Last Frontier!"

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by Bernard R. Rosenberg View Post
    Panty Hose!

How well I remember paying out $5.00 just to have a streamside woman cut into what she was wearing. You bet I used them, and they nailed the two giant silvers I had observed that were holding under a bridge. That's why I approached her in the first place and that was 21 years ago and I still remember it...

Rosenberg/Florida
    Normally, the girls are wearing chest/hip waders. Sure would be interesting to know why she would put on panty hose to go fishing...

here in the lower 48 (michigan) i think the chunks in the skein is more productive, but is harder to find tight skeins here... loose eggs are easier to find (by the time they get to the rivers here, they are squirting eggs) so with loose eggs we tie spawn bags. they DO produce well, are easier to carry, and tend to last a little longer on the hook.. but i like using chunks.

Roe sacks also get hung up on fish teeth and can help turn a marginal strike into a winner.