Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lighted Sight Argument

Question Lighted Sight Argument

If red-dot scopes are legal on firearms for the reasons stated in the Wildlife Trooper Forum, then lighted archery sights are also LEGAL as they also do not project light forward toward the game animal or target.

Right?

Troopers? Moderators?

I couldn't add a response on the Wildlife Trooper Forum as I don't think it's set up for responses.

Taylor

this is all i could find on the adfg web site
    NOT use electronic devices or light attached to the bow, arrow, or arrowhead with the exception of a non-illuminating camera.
    NOT use scopes or other devices attached to the bow or arrow for optical enhancement.

i am currently waiting for a call back from the wildlife troopers so i will ask them this too

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Taylor View Post
    If red-dot scopes are legal on firearms for the reasons stated in the Wildlife Trooper Forum, then lighted archery sights are also LEGAL as they also do not project light forward toward the game animal or target.

Right?

Troopers? Moderators?

I couldn't add a response on the Wildlife Trooper Forum as I don't think it's set up for responses.

Taylor
    Sounds like a good debate, and it makes sense to me, I tried shooting my bow in limited visibility before with the fiber optic light and I can see my pins fine but its hard to pick a spot on a distant target in the darker situations, I actually missed a griz because i couldnt pick a spot and looking back at the situation was no doubt shooting at the whole animal.

I never knew they were even possibly illegal. Seems most sights come with them. Hopefully we can clear this up.

Sent via Android

just got off the phone with the wildlife troopers he said that a blue light would be leagle in a non wepons restricted hunt but in an archery only area it would be illeagle because it would be an optical enhancement.

well he just called back and asked me to give him a brand name and model so i showed him the spothog light and he was going to go ask his super so i will know for sure when he calls back.

I have also bounced this off a wildlife trooper and got a different response. If it casts a light (which the spot-hogg light does..but it's very little) it is illegal just as it would on a rifle. If it is a red-dot sight like an Aimpoint or Eotech it would be fine...in a non weapons restricted hunt.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

My husband did a lot of research on this and found out it is absolutely illegal to have any lights on your site in this state. We were going to try to get Vendetta range finders installed on our bows, and couldn't because we found out those are illegal too. If you are worried about hunting in low light situations, try a spot hogg sight with the hogg wrap. It works great!

Whats the price

i would call the troopers on that when i talked to them he said a tritium sight like he has on his service arm would also be illeagle

Quote Originally Posted by skybust View Post
    Whats the price
    Sadly, it's just under $500.00 with, I believe, a 6 week wait.

Oops, just checked again. It's an 8 week wait.

WOW that spendy but most of there items are they do make good sights.

you can have as much light as you want on your sight but if you can't see through your peep then what good is a sight? if you can't see through your peep then how can you take an ethical shot. toxonics have nice sights with 3' of fiber optic wrapped on each pin. I can see my sight long after i can't see through my peep sight. Yes i know you can shoot to the side of your peep, but unless you practice that every day i would not advise doing it.

I think that's the site Ishi used.

I looked at that trijicon sight at the sportsmen's show last week. It is heavy and has to many adjustments. I wouldn't use that sight if they were giving them away.

It says you can not use any "electronic devices or lights..." So, does that mean you cannot use any electronic devices or electronic lights or does is mean that you cannot use anything that gives off light. Can you use a trijicon or glow in the dark sight? I was under the understanding that the only legal brightening pins were the fiber-optic sights.

O.K. I asked a wildlife trooper about this again and got the same answer again. The differentiating point is whether it is a weapons restricted hunt or not. You must ask this if you are asking a trooper. In a non-weapons restricted hunt it is legal to use an illuminated reticle or red-dot type sight on a rifle, bow, muzzleloader, even a (gasp) a crossbow. In fact, in a non-weapons restricted hunt you can even use a weapon mounted rangefinder.

Now, if you read the regs under the heading of "restricted weapons hunts regulations" you will find the parts that restrict the electronics on a bow. That only applies to bows used in weapons restricted hunts.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

yep thats the same thing officer bump told me he said the night sight's he had on his side arm would be against the law in a bow only area.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast