Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cost of gas?

Default Cost of gas?

I am starting to plan cost estimates of a trip to alaska to hunt and was thinking of making the drove from the lower 48 (utah) to fairbanks to help save money from airfare and equipment rental and also the cost of shipping meat and trophies back.

My question is for those of you that have made the trip north and back in the last few years approximately how much did you spend on gas? How many total miles did you drive and your estimated miles per gallon of gas?

thanks for any info

We are planning a trip to the lower '48' this spring, 6500 miles and fuel cost is going to be about $3300.00. We will be driving a 38' Class a motor home and are planning on $4.15 per (avg) gallon for diesel. I know that sounds like a lot of money but considering the fact they we will be making stays in several different places, it is worth the price.
    Depending on the weapons that you will bring and if you have the time I would drive.

Would it be too out of line to.estimate 4.00 a gallon for regular unleaded gas. I
    Will only be traveling about 6000 miles by my estimate and fortunately get better milage than a motor home.

This fall I drove from Palmer AK. to Grande Cache Alberta and back the average price per gallon for unleaded gas was 4.17

Do not forget that fuel in Canada is by the liter not gallon. I would think that $4.00 a gallon would be in the ball park.

If you have decent range on a tank of fuel, you should be able to do pretty well. Make sure to top off at the big towns along the way even if you don't need it quite yet so you don't get stuck filling up at a midway point where prices can be almost double.

It's hard to know for sure whether driving would be a money saver, especially when you figure in the cost of your time. Flying, you are there right away, driving, you are adding on about 4 days each way, give or take.

Another aspect to make sure you have figured out is how to tansport the meat if you are driving. You will want some way to keep it frozen. I know some people pull a small cargo trailer with a freezer wired to a battery system and inverter for charging. Seems to work well but takes a few $$$ to set up.

Gas has been inching higher (everywhere). Canada is always higher priced than it is in AK. If your plans are for this year, gas may well hit $4/gal (here) by fall. If you're planning for next year or later, God knows what the price will be. I think $4/gal is a lowball estimate, myself.
    Considering you could fly R/T for $600 (or less) & you're going to spend at least $2400 on gas, + meals, + lodging & I can't imagine you can drive cheaper than flying.
    Have you seen this?
    http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...379+Peterbuilt

You would probably need to schedule time to meet his truck, but I still think it would be cheaper in the long run.
    Gary

Been $4.20 here for two years
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

I had to pay a lot more for gas because I didn't stop and fill up in the larger towns in canada. if you buy airplane ticket far enough in advance and pay for extra checked bags (cheaper than shipping) is probably cheaper than driving.

I figured 4.00 a gallon knowing here close to home gas is still under 2.70 so I will be paying a lot less for some fill ups and probably more for others.

I figure that it may be more cost effective when you calculate the cost of flying for 2 people plus the cost of extra luggage there and assuming that your successful and shoot a moose or two between the two people the cost of shipping the meat back will add up quickly.

Has anyone been successful at keeping the meat cold enough for the 3 or 4 day drive with out freezing the meat? Either using ice in some way or any other method?

Hotels, food, fuel, time, wear and tear on the vehicle plus how are you going to carry frozen meat for about a week? Generally speaking by the time you get the meat out to a town it could be 7-10 days old and MUST be frozen before you can continue. Then it has to remain frozen till you finish the journey.
    If you want to sleep in your vehicle and eat sandwiches all the time you may save some money. I would be willing to bet gas will be $5 a gallon or more on the Alcan by the end of this summer. If you do drive, dont use your credit card or your CC company will hit you with fee's if you use the card in Canada.
    Tennessee

If you have the time and the extra money to drive I would do it. I haven't made that trip, but I know driving from NJ to Utah, I saw Country I only dreamed of. There are so many new things to see and flying you wouldn't see any of it.
    Driving back with meat we stopped for dry Ice twice with already frozen meat, by the time we got home it was still rock hard after 4 days.

Archie,
    I think the drive alone would make the trip a success just from all the wonders you would see!
    I paid about $5.80 in Ontario last Oct ( Imperial Gallon = about 5 Qts )
    As for meat depending on what you hunt I have considered the same kinda trip and planned on donating part of the meat to help reduce the need for more coolers and meat care - the trip is the experience and lets face it, if cost is the driving force in decision making you can never justify the real cost per pound for such a trip vs going out to a nice local steakhouse!
    I have transported meat frozen in coolers for several days - keep them out of the sun and iced down and you should be fine. If you can get the meat vacuum packed its a plus. We haul a small Honda generator and a small freezer along on bigger hunts - works great!
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

I think it would be an enjoyable drive. Is there somewhere in fairbanks that will be able to freeze the meat for us?

Bring a chest freezer and a generator. I've met lots of guys that do it that way and keep their stuff frozen all the way to the lower 48. Most tow a small enclosed trailer behind, but I've seen a couple in the back of trucks.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Do you guys realize how much meat you will end up with from one moose? And how much dry ice you would need and how many coolers? Am guessing maybe 5 or 6 of those huge 150 quart coolers (at least).

Don't get me wrong, the drive is beautiful. But you need to get a grasp as to the logistics. I've driven up here in everything from a motorcycle to a RV and while the drive itsself is easy it is slow going. With the amount of coolers required you need a pick up of sorts or an attached trailer.
    Tennessee

Hey, at least he's looking at getting the meat home. Many, many, non-resident hunters don't. I failed to discuss this with a friend of mine once who came up to hunt with me. I got 3/4 of a moose when he found out how much it was going to cost to ship it home.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Archie, Welcome to the Forums,

I did a trip last spring, and posted a pretty detailed Thread on the story, including lots of Gas Expenses and others as I went,
    has lots of pics also for entertainment.

Here it is, http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...oday?highlight=

I took a quick look back at that and some numbers were, (granted these are with a 33mpg car,)

Gas ranged from $3.52/gal in Anchorage, to tops of $5.40 for a few gallons in REMOTE Canada, the average Canadian cost was $4.20 ($1.05/ltr)
    It cost my Saab, $364 total from Portland to Kodiak ( right near 2600 miles)

If you are planning on driving a truck or something similar, the prices and mileage are fairly well documented for that portion of the drive anyway,

Hope it helps, You'll Enjoy that Trip Immensely, For Sure
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

I think the real determining factor is if you have the extra time. It would certainly make the logistics of the hunt much less complicated IMO if you drive. You dont have to worry about how all your gear/meat/trophys etc. are going to get back. You will need something like a large chest freezer to keep your meat cold for the long drive back. Plus if you are not on a schedule you dont have to kill yourself getting back. If you are not planning on processing your meat yourself once you return home you could have it packaged and frozen here while you sight-see then plug the freezer in each evening while you stop for the night on the return trip home. Better figure over $4 a gallon for fuel because it is close to that right now in AK.

power commuting twixt the valley and anchorage

I think I budgeted $700 (one way) for gas August 2009, cost nearly double that when it was said and done. Centerville, UT to Anchorage in a Subaru impreza with a 6x8 flatbed trailer. Don't plan on driving 65 mph much through Canadia or Alaska, especially at night. Parts of the drive are awesome, parts of it are really, really boring.

All I could think was, get back in the car, Paul - we still have a bazillion more miles to go.

Archie, be sure and get a few more posts in so ya can pm. I'm sure you've heard it before, caribou has a higher success rate and less meat to deal with.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast