Thread: polaIRS Sportsman 6x6 questions

Default polaIRS Sportsman 6x6 questions

Hi all. Looking for an excuse to buy the new big boss. The thing is, I never thought I'd be looking at a polaris. But because of narrow trails (and $$) I don't want to try for an argo or mudd ox.The rangers are very popular (nice work water gremlin) but too wide for me. I really want the added traction of the 6x. Are the new ones really better than a 4x with a trailer for swamp and trails? I don't see myself buying tracks for a few years, and would just get an argo instead and change the areas I explore. Researching these things has been limited. It is hard to find much info at all for the newer big bosses, and even the polaris catalog has few pics or info on them. AOD has the most info and still not much. Anyone found a forum or vid with lots of feedback? Thanks, Ben

They are heavy... If your in the muskeg this could pose a problem. I woulld put my straight axle Grizzly up against it in a heart beat. I look at a polaris like I do a Harley. Great Looking machine but you are constantly performing maintenance and tinkering with it. I service my Yamaha once a year, change the oil after every extended hunting trip and have never had a problem. I haul a ton of goods with me to the field and I always make it back. I prefer a straight axle to the independent suspension because if you happen lose a differential in the front you can still get out under power. I would buy a new rhino before I bought a sportsman same payload capacity and less dry wieght. Thats just my opinion, now with that being said I have friends that swear by them and I have to admit that I cant go places in the winter that a sportman can go with the rear tracs installed. If I was gonna buy a new one I would definately get the tracks with it.

I on the other hand would disagree with Zeda, we have 2 newer 500 Sportsmans and a newer Grizzly. Now with that said we have rode and hunted all different kind of Alaskan train. For the past 8 years one of my dads hunting buddys has always hunted and rode with us. He has always had a Polaris Big Boss 6X6 and we have nick named that thing teflon can in 8 years I have seen it stuck once. I have seen him go through stuff the four wheelers get stuck in "every time". Now I know the rider has allot to do with it but I have been riding atv's for the past 24 years. Needless to say we now have one sportsman up for sale and have a 2010 800 Big Boss sitting in the garage. Good luck with what ever you decide.

Your right on Seeblaze I suspect everybody on the site will have different opinions and preferences. Depending on the experiences they have had. Mine have been all bad with Polaris as a brand not neccisarily the Big Boss itself and if somebody gave me a Bigboss I would definately use it with no hesitation.

Oh I forgot to mention when he did get stuck he had 4 moose quarters and rib cage, hell the whole moose except for the hide and guts. And a little pull with the other Polaris and it popped right out.

Thanks guys. These ARE heavy--over a thousand pounds which puts them over some restricted areas. I hear so much bad stuff about polaris maintenance that it bothers me. Mostly I want to be able to make it home. But I hear so much about the big boss getting thru tougher stuff that it seems to outweigh the maintenance. Maybe a good thing that there aren't many questions about them on the internet.

only way your going to know is to buy one & try it out, just because 100 people love 'em doesn't mean you will, that's why everyone has a diff. opinion on them & everyone rides differently too. if you don't like it sell it, there new enough somebody's always wanting one. saw one the other day with winches front & back for about 1000.00 of new....look around

Like anything else guys, preventive maintenance is key. We do this it lessens the odds we will have a failure on the trail. I prefer the sportsman(mine is a 1999), but I just bought an 09 grizz 700 for my wife(have yet to ride it). I really like it too, but we will see how it all washes out over time.
    I have a friend with a new Big Boss and he absolutely loves everythung about it except the fuel mileage, he says that sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by kenairmk View Post
    Like anything else guys, preventive maintenance is key. We do this it lessens the odds we will have a failure on the trail. I prefer the sportsman(mine is a 1999), but I just bought an 09 grizz 700 for my wife(have yet to ride it). I really like it too, but we will see how it all washes out over time.
    I have a friend with a new Big Boss and he absolutely loves everythung about it except the fuel mileage, he says that sucks.
    Oh yeah, this would be "for my wife" too Not really, of course but that's what i'd say. I really liked the Yam 700s.
    I see the new 800s get less than 10mpg.
    I had a foreman and didn't like the solid rear axle when in narrow trails with deep ruts due to high-centering. My brothers grizzlies could touch the bottom with little rocking and I would have to winch or get a tug.
    Would most say that the big boss has more traction/flotation than a 4x4 with same tire and driver?

My same friend says the 6x goes much better in the muck if the bed is loaded. We have ridden together with his 6x empty and my wheeler empty, no real advantage on his part. That being said, would I like to have a new 6-wheeler...you bet. JMO, six tires will always float better than 4.

I imagine you have searched this forum and have found my thoughts on the big boss. BUt if you havnt here is a summary

I have the 2010 big boss. Love the machine. Its a gas guzzler with a small fuel tank is my only complaint. BUt when you think about it, gas is a small cost of the hunting trip. My idea of a ways in is 40 miles. That means one way, i will burn a tank of gas. SO for the most part a full gas tank along with two 5 gallon cans full, will satisfy a good bit of range.

Yes they are heavy, but just like an argo, the weight is distributed over a longer wheelbase so you actually put less ground pressure down. I dont see where they go over any weight limits? they are still lighter than an argo.

I get stuck in the big boss once in awhile. Its usually a really bad spot when it happens. the great thing is that it doesnt take much to get it going again. Ive wrapped my winchline around little shrubs and just needed a "bump" or my buddies 350 big bear. Not sure why that is, but getting the 6x out requires no great effort. The rhino I had, you were there for awhile everytime getting that thing out.

I have had one thing fail on the 6X though. There is a linkage that controls the automatic decent thing a ma jig in the front diff. That broke. Machine worked just fine all hunting season as long as you didnt put it in ADC. I might of broke it riding around on the tussocks with that button engaged all the time.

If i were to redesign the 6x, Id throw in a more fuel efficient motor, bigger gas tank, power steering and drop about half of the electronics and gizmos.

Thanks again. Good feedback. Best info is still on this forum. Searched under "polaris" for the most info.

Hello, I bought a 98 Big Boss this summer and only got a chance to take it out twice. Hell ya I love it. Bad gas milage,heavy,also being a polaris to boot, I love it. I also have a 97 Xplorer 400, 95 Big bear, 06 200 Can-Am Sport (junk), And 02 Honda Rancher. I love the Big Boss even though it gave me a work out handling the terrain, but something everyone left out was the ride. Ride one across rough terrain and you will be sold. Mine gets about 7-8 mpg with a 4.5 gal tank.

I had an older Polaris 6by and the biggest problem was the chain drive, make sure that isn't the case. They are hell to change and they stretch from time to time. Also be careful crossing gravel creeks. Sometimes a piece of gravel can get caught in the chain guard and it can snap your chain. One thing for sure, they are fast.
    JOHN

I have a 500 6x6 with over 4000 miles and a 2010 800 6x6 with over 1000. I will never go back to a 4x4. the 6x6s ride better, haul more and go places 4x4s can't. Bad points: as pointed out on the 500; maintaining the chains is critical. Adjustment and lube often, I carry the tools including a very large channel lock, extra links and wrenches for field adjustment if needed. I have never had a rock break a chain crossing rivers and we do a lot of it. The 800 is very thirsty when used in low range. I pull a double axle trailer with 65 gallons of gas & gear on our longer trips which may cover a week and 300+ miles and I figure 5 mpg for the 800 and 9-10 for the 500. The only area that a 4x4 is better is crossing really fast, deep water; the rear of 6x6s tend to want to go downstream.

I don't know about the rest of you, but I removed the plastic chain guard. All it ever did was pack up with mud and grass anyway, and as has been noted, it could wedge a rock in there. Makes lubing easier too. Love my 500 6x6.