Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who has the best Prices on Bulk 5.56 in the Anchorage area?

Default Who has the best Prices on Bulk 5.56 in the Anchorage area?

The title says it all. I use to shoot "black rifles" back in the 1980 and I'm playing with them again. Just wondering if there a place I don't know of (like Jumbo Ammo Cache in the 1980's) when I can save a few bucks on a case of 5.56.

Places you guys go?

Might still be the case (pun not intended?) that bulk still isn't available enough to be all that cheap, sure is this case down here...

Northern Security has a boat load.

What I'm looking for is who has the best prices...

Quote Originally Posted by David Teague View Post
    What I'm looking for is who has the best prices...
    Well what do you want to pay........I have maybe five or six thousand rounds, How much you want......?

Depends what you want... New Federal XM193? Junk Russki stuff? Willing to take brass case cosmetic seconds in pallet quantities (75,000 rounds)? We pride ourselves in having the "best" prices out there but Im not going to sell you steel cased ammo so if thats what you want, try ammo can.

I think we have XM193 at .401 per round right now in lots of 500. As AGL says....how much ya want? The more ya buy, the cheaper it is.

Fair question you two.

I'm looking for just a thousand rds case (or so). For those of you who have class III autos and shoot them weekly or travel the US as a 3 gun shooter the idea of a thousand rounds as "bulk" might be laughable, but to a guy who only gets a few Sat or Sun to shoot each year a 1000 rds should tide me over for a few months.

@Wildalaska If I was the sort of guy who could buy a 75,000 round pallet for a summer of pleasure shooting you'd already know me on a first name basis.

Shooting is ONE of my many expensive hobbies and within this hobby I shoot matchlocks, flintlocks, percussion, self consuming paper cartridge, black powder cartridge, early smokeless and have started shooting semi auto Mil Spec rifles again after a 20ish yer break.

When I shot SLR last time, I was IN the gun business and could score 1000 rds of 5.56 for $85 and 7.62x 51 was a bit higher. Those days are gone like the 25 cents a gallon gas I was putting in my Ford Mustang in 1974.

While I might live in the past with my custom muzzleloaders I do understand that ball ammo is not as cheap as it once was, nor will be again.

If I could score the Russian junk for half the price of XM193 I'd buy that for punching paper but when it's only a few bucks less I'd go for
    the real deal and step up to the XM193 and use that or the TAP rounds for home defense.

Cheers,

David

When I'm looking I typically call around. Be ready, as some are a bit of a PITA and won't tell you over the phone. Three Bears in the valley had PMC for around $330/1000 but I think it's gone. They have some Wolf but I don't remember the price. Bulk ammo prices suck up here supposedly cuz of shipping but probably more so due to lack of competition from mail order like outside. Let us know what you find.

Quote Originally Posted by ruustah View Post
    When I'm looking I typically call around. Be ready, as some are a bit of a PITA and won't tell you over the phone. Three Bears in the valley had PMC for around $330/1000 but I think it's gone. They have some Wolf but I don't remember the price. Bulk ammo prices suck up here supposedly cuz of shipping but probably more so due to lack of competition from mail order like outside. Let us know what you find.
    In all fairness to the local shops. Yes, there are major shipping costs and hurdles they have to go though to get us that case lot. They have to use their own money to buy it, ship it, store it, pay inventory tax on it, pay tax on the profit off of it so they do have to make a profit on it or they are just better off closing shop and investing their money elsewhere (like the stock market, gold , silver et al) and not have to put up with customers at all. :O

Since we don't live in the lower 48 we can't get those screaming deals delivered to our door.

I don't mind folks making profit off of me as that's what they have to do to stay in business, but I will try to find a fair market price.

In the past there were home based ammo shops that could sell lower because of the lower overhead. I was just wondering if anybody is still that that niche market (like Jumbos was in the 1980's).

Cheers,

David

When our Las vegas facility is open our ammo prices will be even cheaper (since I will be buying 1M vs100K rounds) but regardless, I just checked XM193 is $400 cash, 405 credit per K but not as cheap as the lower 48

Now for your economics lesson. Natchez Shooters Supply, who can afford to buy and store millions of rounds (we can buy, but no room to store and a tiny, captive market up here) sells it $339 per K. Shipping to your door in the lower 48 is $21. So a 1000 rounds of ammo costs ya $369 per thousand down there or $21 less.

Now of course, that $21 difference is:

Additional shipping cost.
    Quantity Breaks.

1M rounds is cheaper than 100K. I cant store more than 100K. Further, because Natchez is moving ammo all over the country they are turning 100K of ammo in two weeks, takes me two months.

In view of that, ammo is reasonable

I just bought 1000 rounds of PMC new brass 55 grain solids for $295 at Three Bears in Kenai. They should be getting more in soon and the guy told me if I buy several cases, he might go down to 275 or a little lower.

Thank you so much for the lesson. I'll run right in and buy some over your overrated XM193 now.

Keep an eye on Trustworthy too as we bought cases of XM193 for $300 about a year ago.

Thank you so much for the lesson. I'll run right in and buy some over your overrated XM193 now.
    Your welcome. Glad I could educate ya. Feel free to stop by and pick some up, as it shoots just fine for the happy customers who have knocked my 50,000 round pile down to about 5,000 rounds. As long as they are happy, so am I.

Hey Wildalaska, how much recoil reduction do your muzzlebreaks provide on hot loads out of a 300 RUM? Just asking for an estimate.

Quote Originally Posted by MaximumPenetration View Post
    Hey Wildalaska, how much recoil reduction do your muzzlebreaks provide on hot loads out of a 300 RUM? Just asking for an estimate.
    While hard to quantify scientifically, what i have been told is it drops from sadistically brutal to nastily tolerable

60%

Thanks everybody for the input.

I scored a case of zinc plated "Junk Russki stuff" for 53 % of the cost of the XM193 that holds about 2 inches out both of my ARs at 100 yrds and seems to be very constant with the way both rifles make a small neat pile of zinc plated shell casings.

As somebody who only needs a mag of TAP rounds for home defense and can only shoot 100 yds at the range near my house , this ammo will do.

If I ever start shooting leg matches, I'll get me some XM193 to keep up with the big boys and build up a NM AR-15.

Cheers,

David

There's something to be said for the "Junk Russki stuff" at times. Where'd you find it?

Quote Originally Posted by ruustah View Post
    There's something to be said for the "Junk Russki stuff" at times. Where'd you find it?
    Hidden in plain sight at Sportsman's Warehouse. You have to ask them to bring a case out of the back. They have it in 500 rd cases. You get 5% off for a buying a case. 500 rds is only $118.

I'd rather do business with locals, but for such a savings on a consumable item I had to follow the wallet. The nice thing about the big box store is they will take a CC and not bill you the extra 3%. In my case 118 airline miles.

Cheers,

David

As long as the price is not TOO out of line, I am willing to pay a little more for bulk ammo. I look to use the brass many more time which makes my reloads a little cheaper. Minus the cost of brass I am reloading 55FMJ's for about .23 a round.
    I guess that you get waht you are willing to pay for.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast