Thread: Juneau trolling for kings

Default Juneau trolling for kings

I'm planning on doing some trolling in Auke bay for kings first week of August. Prolly going to take one entire day of my trip and dedicate to Auke bay trolling. I was thinking that I'd probably troll a quickfish. It's the only bait I've caught kings on trolling albeit that was in Fairbanks and we were back trolling. I've heard that some troll with herring. Any thoughts? My experience trolling is east coast for wahoo / mahi / marlin and we troll using ballyhoo. I'm curious bout the rig up for herring-is it similar? Thoughts anyone?
    Thanks in advance-I hate to always be asking the questions-I'm just in receive mode b/c I don't know much about catching salmon.

Troll herring. The kings will be slowing down but there are still some to be had. Try searching the forum for herring set-ups or something similar. I remember there being a decent thread that had links and videos of how to rig up a herring for trolling. You want that sucker to roll. Also my personal favorite is a cut plug. They are easy to cut and rig to get a nice spin.
    I'd agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong.

AK Boater-I've read a lot of your posts. You sound like you know what you're doing. I'll do the research and figure it out. Like I wrote-I hate to always be the one asking for advice. If you ever had the misfortune to be fishing on the east coast-I could hook you up with all kinds of advice. But I'm affraid my best advice is... "go to Alaska!" I've caught marlin, wahoo, mahi, makeral, tuna, and thousands of stripers, etc... but nothing compares to Alaska salmon fishing... I bought my tickets for the plane flight last week and I don't think I've thought of a single thing else since. Even dreamed about it last night... lol... I've got it bad!!! Man I love Alaska!

Another one bites the dust!
    What part of the east coast? I live on Kauai but spent last July 4th on LBI and caught piles of fish & clams! East coast, although quite different than what I'm used to, is pretty cool.

Anyway, we trolled out of Seward for silvers using the same setups we used to backtroll kings on the Kenai river; jet diver w/plugs or plug cut herring; didn't have downriggers on our small boat and trolling sinkers didn't get the offering down deep enough so we fished thru the tackle box and rigged up exactly like we would've on the river; worked great! 14 silvers with one going about 18 lbs. The plug cut herring out-fished the lure; at most tackle shops they have a thing to buy that helps you get the right cut angle on the herring, just stick the whole herring in it and the plastic walls of the "box" have a groove/slice where you run your knife into, giving you the correct cut/angle.
    We did try a some without using the jig and it did okay but like AKboater said you want it to roll.

I think you'd have better luck with silvers at that time of year, but it's up to you...

My experience in Auke bay is that the lure/bait of choice can vary a lot. Some years we get 70% - 80% of our fish on bait, other years hoochies get by far the most bites. I would try both. We have caught most of our larger fish (20# and bigger) on bait. Expect to have to work your way through a bunch of silvers that time of year.

There are many ways to rig a herring. The single hook rig using a cable baiter or crowbar is close to what you probably use for ballyhoo. In fact, you should give cable baiters a try with ballyhoo; they are an easy way to rig a ballyhoo for short biters.

BIg_E

Dr. No/Vaaler=I'd prefer to catch silver. I've caught king and pink but never silver or chum. This trip-I've got my mind on both. Based on what you've both written, I could expect to catch some silver in Auke Bay. Any starter tips are appreciated.
    Big Jim-I'm from North Carolina and used to fish mostly near the "Big Rock" area. I don't go offshore anymore.
    Enough about that-I was looking at a few different silver baits. Was thinking the coho killer baits might work. Your thoughts?

If your reason for focusing on Auke Bay is not wanting to go far, I'd also try the backside of Douglas for silvers. No kings over there, and you'd probably run into some pinks, but possibly more silvers...

Dr. No. I'm going to troll for some Chum at Amalga-any chance there'd be any Silver there? My intuition says no. And when you say backside of Douglas are you saying down near Filipino Beach or near Fish Creek. Or are you saying further south? If memory serves me right, there's a ramp near Filipino Beach-I'm guessing I need to go south from there. Am I on the right track?
    "...it's called fishing... it's not called catching..."

Quote Originally Posted by krustydklawn View Post
    Filipino Beach or near Fish Creek.
    Also affectionately know as Manilla Bay.

I'd be going out around Outer Point. Manilla bay is a False Outer Point. The Taku river run doesn't mill around False Outer too much and it gets real silty that time of year.

If you're at Amalga and the weather is nice, it's only 4-5 miles over to North Pass and Handtrollers. THE BEST spot for cohos at that time.

Default Email Me

krusty - Drop me an email through this site. I have some Juneau-area suggestions for your visit. Depending on your plans (and mine) there may be room on my rig for you for a couple of days so you get hands-on pointers for trolling for our local chum, coho, feeder Kings - whatever you think you want to collect (and what is available during the time you are visiting). I suspect I could get you pointed in the right direction for your skiff-fishing expeditions.

Quote Originally Posted by L. G. View Post
    Also affectionately know as Manilla Bay.

I'd be going out around Outer Point. Manilla bay is a False Outer Point. The Taku river run doesn't mill around False Outer too much and it gets real silty that time of year.

If you're at Amalga and the weather is nice, it's only 4-5 miles over to North Pass and Handtrollers. THE BEST spot for cohos at that time.
    This is what I was referring to -- Past Outer pt and beyond. L.G. is giving you some solid advice there. I'd skip trolling for chums at Amalga, I would suspect they won't be very bright by that point.

Yaw Rock! Man I love this site. JKD-I was reading some of your older posts regarding the chum-sounds like you know what you're doing. I've been looking for the right hot-spot flasher. You mentioned haze on one thread. I found the pink and the purple haze on the internet. I was planning to buy both at the 8'' size. Could not find the blued mustad #5 hooks, but found some Gamakatsu at the same size. Gamakatsu has never let me down-had a king break a new Eagle Claw treble hook in half a few years ago-ever since then-Gamakatsu is my pref. Not sure if any chum 'ill be chrome by then, but I just want to catch one. I'm looking at getting one of the state cabins at Handtroller. Booking for the days I want will open tomorrow.
    "...it's called fishing... it's not called catching..."