Thread: What to do with grizzly bear hides???

Default What to do with grizzly bear hides???

I'm thinking of a moose hunt. I'll try to keep the bears away by getting a grizzly bear tag (my brother lives in Alaska so I pass the second degree of kindred...). But, I don't know what to do with the bear if I do get one. I like european mounts and a grizzly bear skull would be an incredible mount. So I would definitely make a mount from the skull.

But what should I do with the hide?? It seems illegal to sell or barter it. I don't have space for a mount or rug. I also don't want to pay $800 to $3,000 for a mount or rug.

Any suggestions??

Have it tanned, then lay it wherever you need/want it. Over the bed, back of the couch, in front of the fireplace, floor of the tent, etc. Make a jacket, make a hat, maybe a furry thong.
    Just some ideas.

Ryan J has some great ideas for the use of a bear hide and tanning is normally in the $200-$300 range for a bear hide from what I recall. I also believe one can give a bear hide away for free if it doesn't interest you.

If you get one and still have this question after you have skinned it, keep it cool and when you return and get it sealed. Ask them if you can give it away...beleive you can...PM me.. I will take it.

This cannot be the decision of the century here...lol...to easy

Thanks
    President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

First, you need a Bear.

Then skin it, flesh it, strech it, dry it and use it as a rug in you tent, over Willows, and it will last about 4 years with year round use.
    Had 7 in use one time, between two tents, great rugs in a tent for an Arctic winter., and comphy sleeping mats in Summer too

100% biodegradeable , just hack off the claws, before tossing, clean em up and put 'em on necklaces to give away at Xmas.
    Cut off the legs and cut in half for matts to sit on in the tent or on the sled. sometimes you can sew a fancy border around the body, the wife made one with Black Bear-Polar Bear alternating Black and White 4 inches , all around the body of the Brown. Was pretty cool....
    The big ones make a great bed for two on those long Winter camp outs.........stay in bed alll day

Old timers here used Bear skins as doors for their stormsheds....any marauding Bear would stop to fight the skin hanging as a door and give the folks inside time to get their Hunt on.
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

You are legal to harvest a bear as a non res when hunting with your Ak. res. brother. You are legal to take the hide home with you, including to your home in another state. Once you are in that state and your hide is there also, you are free to do what is legal in that state. If it is legal to sell griz hides in Wi., you are legal to do so.
    Ak. laws do not follow your hide to another state.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Give it to me and I'll use it in my classroom. Think of the kids! As for me and my bears, every one I'll ever get will just get tanned and hung from a hook. If I get a particularly spectacular brown bear I might get one rugged, but otherwise they'll just get tanned and hung. I love the look of multiple hides hanging next to each other.

You can ship it to me and I will take care of the tanning and keep it here at my house for you if you ever come by to visit it. I'm sure we can work out the detail$$$$. Hint, hint, wink, wink, nod, nod.

If you decide to take it back outside with you I think you need a permit for transporting. check with fish and game or get on ask a trooper thread. I don't think its a big deal, just paper work