Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Winter Fishing

Default Winter Fishing

Anyone been brave enough to get out there? Thinking about going sometime in the next few weeks.

I have also been thinking about going. Need to do a little more planning and make it happen.

The Kenai Lake Bridge is one of the best winter fly fishing areas as it remains open durig the winter. Look for the warm fronts to turn these lethargic fish on. There are quite a few large bows and dollies there feeding on the Silver spawn and if we get another front like last February with a stretch of 40 plus degree days it will be hot. Other options on the Kenai include the Princess Rapids and Sportsman's. Again, weather dependent for a consistent bite. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Kenai Cache Outfitters View Post
    The Kenai Lake Bridge is one of the best winter fly fishing areas as it remains open durig the winter. Look for the warm fronts to turn these lethargic fish on. There are quite a few large bows and dollies there feeding on the Silver spawn and if we get another front like last February with a stretch of 40 plus degree days it will be hot. Other options on the Kenai include the Princess Rapids and Sportsman's. Again, weather dependent for a consistent bite. Good luck!
    I was looking at the web cam at sportmans....It looked like the ice was starting to jam the river up a bit in this recent cold spell....If these mid 20 temps hole June and I will be heading down early this week to fish the bridge...My driftboat needs to get wet
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Ditto that, I might walk the river and see what I can find.

Quote Originally Posted by alaskachuck View Post
    I was looking at the web cam at sportmans....It looked like the ice was starting to jam the river up a bit in this recent cold spell....If these mid 20 temps hole June and I will be heading down early this week to fish the bridge...My driftboat needs to get wet

Whats the new web address for the ferry web cam? Anyone got it?

Quote Originally Posted by bowdy15 View Post
    Whats the new web address for the ferry web cam? Anyone got it?

http://www.dot.state.ak.us/iways/roa...Id=12&viewId=6

Knew you'd chime in, thanks. tried to find it earlier but couldn't get there.

Heading down tomorrow morning with some fellow members. Will report back tomorrow or Sunday.

Fish On!
    You know your not catching any fish when you start talking about the weather...

http://www.alaskansalmonslayers.com/

Just drove back from Soldotna today for work. Its open from the bridge down to about a hundred yards above the russian confluence, then its ice jam after ice jam. Pretty frozen up as far as I could see after that. Stopped in the take out and thats open but with ice ledges out for about 20 feet. Oh and it was 20 degrees crossing the bridge.

hoping these warm temps hold until next weekend!

Going down to the ole fishing hole on the Klawock River tomorrow. (POW)

Lots of feisty silvers, they were super aggressive and striking anything that moved in the water yesterday. Perhaps that is why we were only able to manage one Rainbow. It was nice to be able to wet a fly line yesterday, but I'm feeling it today. I'm definitely not in fishing shape, sore shoulder and forearm today...here is the bow that AkNook managed.

Fish On!

Quote Originally Posted by bigcox View Post
    Lots of feisty silvers, they were super aggressive and striking anything that moved in the water yesterday. Perhaps that is why we were only able to manage one Rainbow. It was nice to be able to wet a fly line yesterday, but I'm feeling it today. I'm definitely not in fishing shape, sore shoulder and forearm today...here is the bow that AkNook managed.

Fish On!

It was cold out there but manageable. It was pretty much a silver show as they hit ANYTHING we threw out there. Managed to land one sweet rainbow. It was fun and totally worth the sore shoulders. Just great to be able to cast a fly out again.

Great job you guys...June and I are heading down tuesday...gonna put the boat in and work the bridge......That is the one issue there though...Trying to get your crap down past the silvers to the bows...They are there

Quote Originally Posted by alaskachuck View Post
    Great job you guys...June and I are heading down tuesday...gonna put the boat in and work the bridge......That is the one issue there though...Trying to get your crap down past the silvers to the bows...They are there
    Right On! Those **** silvers were even smacking the small thunder creeks that 900Fusion had on, WTH! A dozen times I had to pre-maturely pull the fly out to keep the silvers off. It was nice feeling the tug, but not the fish I was looking for. The only bows we saw were right under the bridge, maybe a couple more weeks and they will flush out of the lake?

Fish On!

Nice fish Bigcox

Looks nipply. Nothing two thermos full of hot liquor drinks can't fix

The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

beautiful fish!!! I see pics like that and i excited for spring to get here!

That pic was posted today. Why wait till spring?
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

also they were smacking the **** out of my thingamabobber! oh and beads. DEVIL FISH! haha

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast