Thread: Anyone fish Middleton Island?

Default Anyone fish Middleton Island?

So, anyone want to share their knowledge about Middleton Island? It looks like about 50 miles from the south side of Montague. I have heard rumors about good halibut fishing out there. Is it at a specific time of year, or all summer? Is there any fishing pressue, maybe from the Valdez / Cordova area? Are there big rips to worry about getting out there and back? Is it worth the effort?
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

A couple charter outfits are regulars there...I too have seen pics and heard about the fishing out there. I would expect at least some good sized rollers even on a good day.

A link to some old photos and info. from the Island...

http://armandphotos.homestead.com/Middleton1.html

Heavy Hitter Fishing
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Heavy...54441957966186

Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro-Staff

Woe, would love to wet a line out there. My Son who plays with the chart plotter dreams of going out there one day.
    Man you got a bad case of early spring fever....me too!
    280 miles round trip from Whittier and about 60 miles out from the Hinchinbrook side of Montague, that would be and adventure indeed.

A picture from google earth:

2832507.jpg
    Jay
    07 C-Dory 25 Cruiser
    OurPlayground.

I have fished it once. I was on a charter out of Valdez. The fishing was OK. We fished the north side of fountian rock.The tide was pretty strong that day we were out there. Caught some incredible lingcod and some nice halbut (the biggest was about 100 lbs). We fished for two days and caught more fish at Wessel's reef than Middleton. The fellow we went with had his best day ever at Middleton with a catch of just about 1800lbs for six people.

sat next to a charter captain on flight from seattle to anchorage. He fished for crackerjack I seem to recall. He mentioned that was his favorite place to fish WHEN the weather allowed, which was only a few times a year. I would love to run out there, but would want to do along with another boat.
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

Yes we have fished Middleton Island and there have been some very good days out there...But....I have run all the way out there and found the area sewed up with longline gear, loaded with the largest and nastiest dogfish you have even seen and also have run all the way out there on a nice day to find that it was so nasty out there that the entire day was ruined becasue I had to slog my way back to somewhere else after a 6 hour boat ride. So I do not go out that way anymore. Just too far, too many vairables to go wrong and too rough for me to run trips to. I will still go, if a group, on an overnight requests fishing out there and the weather is perfect, but there is not really any need to take the risk

I wouldn't even think of it in private boat. Even the fast alumnium boats, you only have 3/16" between you and your death. IF you hit a log 20, 30 or more miles offshore you are going to be in serious trouble. My advice is hug the coast, be patient and you will find all the fish you could ever want. That is a good place of 50 - 80 foot longliners to fish.

As a teenager I deck-handed on a large salmon troller on a trip to both Wessels Reef and Middleton. That was back long before the troll fleet was excluded from the waters west of Cape Suckling. We hit a fairly decent patch of weather and really waded into the Kings and very large schools of capelin near the Reef after a lot of looking in some spots around Middleton.

I would echo AKCAPT and advise against the run out that far (unless a couple of boats with similar speed, range, and fuel capacity buddied-up for the trip out and back). Even with a perfect forecast for the expedition - conditions out on the Gulf can change rapidly and the beating you can get trying to get back to the beach can be pretty brutal. As always, "to each their own" but I spend my time learning ALL about the nooks and crannies of the outside Montague shoreline rather than venture out that far from protection.