Thread: Late August-Early September Fishing

Default Late August-Early September Fishing

I am enjoying this site as I am beginning to plan for my trip in last 10 days of August into first 10 days of September. I am interested in road accessible fishing for silvers, reds, possibly pinks. What are some areas I should target at this time of year. We will be staying with our daughters family in Anchortown, and daytripping from there. May get down to Kenai or up towards Talkeetna and do some camping. Where should we go?

There is decent Silver fishing in the Little Susitna River at that time of year if it is not blown out by rain. The Parks Highway streams (Sheep, Montana, Willow, Goose) can have good Silver and Chum Salmon fishing. There will probably be a few pinks around but it is not a pink year. You will be too late for Reds on the Kenai or the Matanuska Valley. Another option would be for you to have Mahays Riverboat service drop you off at Clear Creek on the Talkeetna River for a day of fishing.

Gramps, Silvers are all up and down the Kenai River aound that time. A great starting location would be the Russian River. Camping is available on-sight and the crowds are way down from the summer highs. Adjacent to the Russian River is also the Russian River ferry which also offers some great Silver fishing as this is where they stage prior to entering the Russian River.

How about Dolly Varden and Grayling fishing at this time? Thanks for the helpful replies.

Quote Originally Posted by gramps View Post
    How about Dolly Varden and Grayling fishing at this time? Thanks for the helpful replies.
    Dolly fishing is very good on the Kenai in September.

Echo others; reds will be too late, pinks not too numerous but the silvers should be around; helps to get the "local" daily take on the silver scene; check the forum regularly (i.e. daily) while in Alaska.
    Catching dolly's not a problem on the Kenai; we don't specifically target them but catch them incidentally when red fishing (they attack the "flies") Grayling I think you need to get into some mountain type lakes on the Peninsula (Crescent Lake for example) or rivers/streams farther up north.
    Have a great time; should be awesome with the trees changing!

It looks from your helpful replies that we will be targeting silvers, primarily. Any specific places you would suggest for silvers? Thanks!!

If you were fishing silvers in late August-early September, which rivers would you focus on? We're planning a few days on Kenai. Which rivers north of Anchorage? Thanks!

A number of the Parks highway streams have grayling in them also. Typical grayling flies work, beads work well to for grayling.
    Alaska: We're all here cuz we're not all "there"

Gramps
    the little Su is usually very good silver fishing that time of year... there is walk in access to some good holes, or you could go with a charter.. I think the fishing would be less crowded at the little Su than the other parks hwy rivers/creeks..../John