Thread: Need a little help with RL19

Default Need a little help with RL19

I just got some Alliant Reloder 19 for my 338 Win Mag. Problem is I want to load the new Barnes 185 gr TTSX Boattail and I can't find a recipe for this combo. Any help would be great. Thanks TT

Quote Originally Posted by tokyotank View Post
    I just got some Alliant Reloder 19 for my 338 Win Mag. Problem is I want to load the new Barnes 185 gr TTSX Boattail and I can't find a recipe for this combo. Any help would be great. Thanks TT
    You'll not do better than contacting Barnes directly.
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

I was actually going to go that route but I forgot to call them today.

Quick Load predicts RL 17 is a better choice

I can tell you that Hornady lists that powder pushing a 200grn spire point. Starting load is 65.9grns up to 76.3 grns maximum, in a Winchester case and primed by Winchester WLR's, Max. COL 3.340

I did get ahold of barnes tech dept yesterday and he said they had nothing for this power bullet comb. He also said to just find a recipe for the same weight bullet and start on the low end to find a combo that worked. Kinda vague answer. I'll figure some out plenty of others I canm use it for it won't go to waste. Thanks for all the replys though.

My go-to load in the 338 Mag is 75.0 grains of Reloder-19 with a 225 grain Hornady Interbond, but I have never loaded the 185 grain Barnes. Man, if you can't get specific data out of Barnes, I would say go with a powder for which you can...

Quote Originally Posted by Wildalaska View Post
    Quick Load predicts RL 17 is a better choice
    I agree!...........
    I can do the impossible right away. Be patient, miracles take me a bit longer.

I have not had the chance to work with RL-17 yet but RL-19 is an outstanding powder and in the 338 win mag it will get a 200 Accubond to 3000 without incident in most rifles of 24" or longer barrel - IMR 4350 is another very good choice for the 225 class 338 bullet

Quote Originally Posted by back country View Post
    I have not had the chance to work with RL-17 yet but RL-19 is an outstanding powder and in the 338 win mag it will get a 200 Accubond to 3000 without incident in most rifles of 24" or longer barrel - IMR 4350 is another very good choice for the 225 class 338 bullet
    Looking at QL figures, all things being equal, hitting 3000 fps with RL19 and a 200 gr AB gets you redlined or close thereto, with the tiniest variation in seating depth putting you over the top. RL17 doesnt redline you. be careful

I have been reading up on these powders as I plan on giving RL17 a shot in my 270WSM. I have seen a lot of report that RL19 is much more temp sensitive and may not be the best powder to AK due to that.

You might want to ask this question on other hand loading forums. How about the 210 Barnes X ? I have shot a bunch of RL 19 in the .338 with 250 grain bullets and 73 grains of RL 19 and loaded a bunch of 225 grain Triple Shocks with 75 grains of RL 19 for my son-in-law. I ain't trying to be a wise guy but I truly believe all this tipped, grooved and boat tailed bullet stuff is under appreciated by big game critters.

Quote Originally Posted by .338 mag. View Post
    You might want to ask this question on other hand loading forums. How about the 210 Barnes X ? I have shot a bunch of RL 19 in the .338 with 250 grain bullets and 73 grains of RL 19 and loaded a bunch of 225 grain Triple Shocks with 75 grains of RL 19 for my son-in-law. I ain't trying to be a wise guy but I truly believe all this tipped, grooved and boat tailed bullet stuff is under appreciated by big game critters.
    QL shows both of those loads as being overpressure