Thread: Winter shark fishing?

Charterboat Operator kodiakcombo's Avatar

Default Winter shark fishing?

About 5 minutes into trolling a herring at one of my hot spots I landed a fair king, later I saw fish on the bottom and dropped the rig and landed a cod, I moved off the edge and hooked another king, this one was giving me a better fight so I imeidately got concerned about sharks, as soon as I let slack in the line as I was moving the rigger out of the way it came unbuttoned!!! After cursing and stomping around the deck I sent another herring down and no sooner than I got to the captains chair I looked back and rod was strait up in the air, kelp? then the rod moved and I killed the engine and grabbed the rod and felt a heavy fish(world record king? is this it? I thought), then it tugged, tugged and up came my flasher with the telltale curly cued leader, like a shark had it. I;m riggin for shark on my next trip out.

check out the leader and the teeth marks on my flasher!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Providing trips for multilpe species for over 20 yrs
    www.kodiakcombos.com

Interesting...I was under the impression that Salmon Sharks migrate to California and Baja for the winter. At least that's what the NatGeo special on them said....

Wonder what it was?

Quote Originally Posted by coho slayer View Post
    Interesting...I was under the impression that Salmon Sharks migrate to California and Baja for the winter. At least that's what the NatGeo special on them said....

Wonder what it was?
    I'll definately post pictures!
    www.kodiakcombos.com

Charterboat Operator

Salmon Shark fishing in Kachemak Bay is awesome right now. I winter king fish out of Homer and you'll start busting off king salmon to salmon sharks mid-December and then its time to break out the cable rigs. Shark fishing will be good into February. My buddy just photoed and released two yesterday. Last January we killed a female close to 500lbs and made the Homer News and released two smaller males. Shark fishing while salmon fishing is great because you can troll your pink salmon "shark bait" off your middle rigger up high while trolling your side rigs deeper for king salmon. Multi-tasking!!!! You can catch trout through the ice one day, and have a 500 pounder jumping out of the water and screaming drag the next day. Good way to shake cabin fever. Have fun and we'll see you out there.

Any chance your buddy would like to have those photos published? I'm doing an article on sharks now and could use some good shots. Pay is lousy, but could go towards beer! Let me know here, or email at ancguy49@yahoo.com Thanks.

Charterboat Operator

I don't see why not. I'll see what I can do.

Capt Nemo when you run that pink out how deep are you putting it down.

Charterboat Operator

25 to 35 feet down if im pullin for kings around 50 and 60! seems to keep it out of the mix. when you get hooked up you will still want to get your other stuff out of the water just in case your backing down on em! lots of fun gets every body helping on deck!

Charterboat Operator

If im pullin just for sharks I will run a chum bag with a home made blend in it on the center rigger behind a 12 pound ball at 35feet and run the out side riggers 40 and 50 with the salmon shark rigs. you will see them come in and bump the bag sometimes! at this point all crank the bag up and it dose not take long for them to tune in on the pink! Hope that helps, Have fun! be carefull!

Quote Originally Posted by Capt Nemo View Post
    Salmon Shark fishing in Kachemak Bay is awesome right now. .
    Wow! ok, no need for me to find out what is eating my rigs, thanks Capt Nemo.
    www.kodiakcombos.com

If winter shark fishing is so great, how come no one does winter shark charters? I'd do it in a SECOND!
    Hike faster. I hear banjo music.

i've never hit a shark around juno in the winter fishing, but during the summer i have had them bite 11" hot spots in half...