Thread: Just ran out....

Default Just ran out....

The chitina opening cant come soon enough Because I just used my last yummy filet on the grill and it was delicious...So I guess Im gonna have to wait till june unless anyone knows of a different place i can get some salmon sooner?
    There's a fine line between fishing....

and standing on the shore like an idiot! ALLEN BRADLEY-TANGLE LAKES ADVOCATE/FANBOY

Quote Originally Posted by Albradley View Post
    The chitina opening cant come soon enough Because I just used my last yummy filet on the grill and it was delicious...So I guess Im gonna have to wait till june unless anyone knows of a different place i can get some salmon sooner?
    $3.99/lb at Freddy's...
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    $3.99/lb at Freddy's...
    Im sorry I should have said I wanted to go catch more salmon...I refuse to buy meat I catch on my own

and standing on the shore like an idiot! ALLEN BRADLEY-TANGLE LAKES ADVOCATE/FANBOY

I'm about to jump in your boat, so make some room please! My freezer was close to over-flow capacity with fish at the end of the season. It's funny though, how having five kids and frequent guests can deplete the stock with alarming speed. I have decided to be happy about this though, since it means I get to fish all I want next season. ;-)

The other 299,300,000 people can have it.

Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom, than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist.

**Peeks in the freezer and grins**

“Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaHippie View Post
    **Peeks in the freezer and grins**

Aww thats not right....Now I know i need to catch a lot of fish the summer...Im getting my king before they close the fishery them again

I know your feeling i just cooked the last of the halibut last week and mabye a months worth of salmon left.
    Do I give my friends advice? Jesus, no. They wouldn't take advice from me. Nobody should take advice from me. I haven't got a clue about anything..

It's prolly cheaper just to get it at freddies....at least with my success level :0)

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    $3.99/lb at Freddy's...
    Im sorry I should have said I wanted to go catch more salmon...I refuse to buy meat I catch on my own
    Oh thats brilliant Al, why did you ask then? Why don't you suit up in the neoprenes and strap the dipnets on the motorhome and go catch some then
    The rest of us will purchase perfectly good sockeyes for 3.99 a lb. until the middle of June when the season opens. 3.99 is cheaper than the grounds price on the Copper BTW (processed)

Quote Originally Posted by fullbush View Post
    Oh thats brilliant Al, why did you ask then? Why don't you suit up in the neoprenes and strap the dipnets on the motorhome and go catch some then
    The rest of us will purchase perfectly good sockeyes for 3.99 a lb. until the middle of June when the season opens. 3.99 is cheaper than the grounds price on the Copper BTW (processed)
    I am sorry I havent explained this clearly but I was looking for someone to tell me where I can catch some salmon this time of the year whether it be in the salt or otherwise i do not care.Money nor time is an issue for me...Plus i would rather work for my food than just go to freddy's It means more to me.

You can catch kings out of Homer all year long. There are a number of charters that fish all winter and have pretty fair success rates doing so.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    You can catch kings out of Homer all year long. There are a number of charters that fish all winter and have pretty fair success rates doing so.
    Thank you Brian for this information.I still do not see why everyone thinks I should go waste money at freddy's when i could just go catch them.

Thank you Brian for this information.I still do not see why everyone thinks I should go waste money at freddy's when i could just go catch them.
    Waste money Al? Why don't you do the math? Its offensive to me that you consider buying Alaskan products for a great bargain "a waste of money". Our country is hanging on by a thread economically because we import products and export jobs. If you really feel that sockeye fillets, that are cheaper than burger, are a waste of money, keep it to yourself.
    Last edited by Brian M; 01-26-2011 at 12:08. Reason: negative comment removed

Oh, come on, fullbush. I'm a commercial fisherman just like you, but there is no way I would buy my salmon from the store. It's not a waste of money for most folks, and yes it is much preferable to farm-raised beef, chicken, pork, or fish, but I still wouldn't do it. The reason why is because the experience is a very important part of wild food for many, myself included. When I want fish, I would far rather catch it myself than buy it. Food isn't just nutrition for those who fish and hunt - it is part of their culture, and at the risk of overstating this, part of their very being. I eat wild food for the health benefits, but also for the other benefits intrinsic to harvesting it myself.

If I was out and really wanted some fillet I would probably buy some at Fred's. I have only bought salmon while living in Denver or a restaurant or two (if it was wild and not farmed).

But - price up the fuel and charter from fbnks to homer:

1100 miles RT @ 20mpg = 55gals * 3.30/gal = $181 Fuel and about 12 to 14 hours time

Charter 2 days = $550.00
    2 Dinner @ mcdees = $25
    sub sammies = $20
    2 Hotel = $180
    1 case beer = $30

Total: $986.00

Let's figure that you get 1 king a day and they are good ones - say 25 pounds each * %60 yield = 30 pounds of fillet

30*3.99 = $119.7 worth of fillet (red price shown above)

Money and time saved by shopping commercially caught reds vs. fresh caught king is about $866.00 and 4 days time!

Cost of catching 2 good kings = priceless

and..
    tongue slightly in cheek:

Cost of killing 2 good kings that the trollers won't by-catch next year = TOTALLY PRICELESS.

Quote Originally Posted by Bullelkklr View Post
    If I was out and really wanted some fillet I would probably buy some at Fred's. I have only bought salmon while living in Denver or a restaurant or two (if it was wild and not farmed).

But - price up the fuel and charter from fbnks to homer:

1100 miles RT @ 20mpg = 55gals * 3.30/gal = $181 Fuel and about 12 to 14 hours time

Charter 2 days = $550.00
    2 Dinner @ mcdees = $25
    sub sammies = $20
    2 Hotel = $180
    1 case beer = $30

Total: $986.00

Let's figure that you get 1 king a day and they are good ones - say 25 pounds each * %60 yield = 30 pounds of fillet

30*3.99 = $119.7 worth of fillet (red price shown above)

Money and time saved by shopping commercially caught reds vs. fresh caught king is about $866.00 and 4 days time!

Cost of catching 2 good kings = priceless

and..
    tongue slightly in cheek:

Cost of killing 2 good kings that the trollers won't by-catch next year = TOTALLY PRICELESS.
    I do want kings but like i said before I prefer to catch them.To fullbush I am not trying to insult you I do not believe it is a waste of money for other people to buy salmon filets I just dont do it so i am sorry if i insulted you.

Quote Originally Posted by fullbush View Post
    Waste money Al? Why don't you do the math? Its offensive to me that you consider buying Alaskan products for a great bargain "a waste of money". Our country is hanging on by a thread economically because we import products and export jobs. If you really feel that sockeye fillets, that are cheaper than burger, are a waste of money, keep it to yourself.
    Umm I wont buy something just because Its an Alaskan product.I am not trying to insult you or anyone else.And yes the filets at freddy's are cheaper than all other meats but I am looking for a way to go out and catch some now so a friend and I are gonna be going on a winter king charter out of homer soon.Once again FullBush I have always respected you I was not trying to be offensive I was just stating How I felt About me buying salmon not other people.