Thread: winter 40 mile tips

Default winter 40 mile tips

hi guys i decided to scrap the 20a moose hunt and am going for the zone 1 bou is there any good entry pont for this area i have never hunted the right side of the road the only thing i can think of is to hang a right from 12mile summit but im not sure i think you have to get 10 miles off the steese to be leagle.

I would go a 100 miles up the salcha, much more of an adventure!

Is anybody getting caribou in zone 1? I was up South of Birch Creek last weekend and didn't see a thing. Hey...at least fins-n-fur is giving us the "opportunity" to get some boo, even if they're not there.

that's what the fall hunt was too.

10 miles is just a guess in some places - it's not like the 5 mile corridor on the dalton. You have to read the EO carefully and look at the hunt map - I was pretty sure you had to get across birch or crooked before you were in an open area - that means distance from the road changes everywhere along it.

Have fun - be safe - watch the weather - take a GPS but back it up with a compass and know which way to go - watch the weather! It can be incredibly miserable up on those summits in a whiteout miles and miles from the road or trail. (there is a reason they have an emergency shelter at the highway at eagle summit - no such thing in the backcountry!)

thanks guys well it looks like its still gona be cold this weekend so might have to push it back a week i was looking at the idea of going in from chsr using the yukon quest trail but from what i have found you have to take off from twin bears and its a pretty good clip from there to get in the area, i should just wait and take my new bow and boat up the dalton but its getting pretty stuffy hanging out in the house with this crap weather.

I hear only a small amount of bou have been taken apprx 50, I hear its better to go in off CHSR but good luck, best tip is to go hunt in Fred Meyer hahhahahahaha

yea i was looking at going from chsr but im not sure how to get on the yukon quest trail near the hot spring.

People keep telling me they have tried to go in on CHSR side and were running into overflow and issues finding the right "trail" in. I haven't tried it. Checked out the Steese in the open zone south of Birch/Crooked Creeks and didn't see a single caribou. Depressing. Seems they are making it more and more difficult and expensive for hunters to get caribou and food for the family these days.

Anyone planning on going out this week or weekend for this hunt? Anyone have success that went already? Would be great to get out and connect.

Quote Originally Posted by Skrat View Post
    Seems they are making it more and more difficult and expensive for hunters to get caribou and food for the family these days.
    Not at all, actually. F&G just doesn't want the mass road-side killings and one day season, that's all.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    Not at all, actually. F&G just doesn't want the mass road-side killings and one day season, that's all.
    I guess not all objectives are compatible.