Thread: Mooring?

Default Mooring?

Looking for a little help,
    I've been looking for somewhere to keep a sailboat in the state, and it's 5-7 years at valdez, seward ,and whittier. is there anywhere in anchorage to keep a 50 ft boat either in or out of the water??

we're in fairbanks so no matter what i have a drive to get there, so distance isn't an issue, are there any out there???

David

One idea would be in Cordova. I think there is no waitlist there, and the fees are less. You can use the ferry from Whittier to get there, and can even take your car/truck with you.

After this, I would suggest Seward. Although there is a waitlist, they are pretty accomidating of transients, and they will usually put you in a slip of someone that has paid but does not currently have their boat in the water. The only downside to this is that when they are really busy in July, you might get put in transient and be rafted to, but the friends that I know in the last couple of years have not had this issue. I don't know for sure in the 50ft size, but I know a 30ft slip is running more like less than 2 years right now.

There are not any slips in Anchorage, and I am betting a 50' is too big to be trailering. Whittier is pretty rough on transients in the summertime with all the commercial fishing traffic, you may be rafted 3 deep or more.
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

Kodiak's another option, might be easier to get flights in and out vs. Cordova. I think with the decline in comm fishing berths will be available and not too outrageous.

Homer is the only other thought, but the marina looks pretty full.

Seems like there is a storage yard at the Port of Anchorage near the boat launch but I don't know any details.

Then again that may not help at all. Not so sure they have a lift to put you in the yard.

I would strongly recommend against doing anything with a sailboat at the Port of Anchorage. This is really an industrial port. There is a publicboat launch, but it is only useable when not near a low tide or you will be in the silty mud. As for in the water, there are some pretty big currents and sholes, which are fine if you are in a good size jet boat, but I don't think at all suited for a sailboat. Definately look to Seward, Whittier, Homer or Valdez for boat storage or slip space.
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

I guess to get the best answer, it would help to know what your plans are for the boat. Are you planning to use it on a somewhat regular basis? If so, you will want in-water storage because it can be tricky at time to get boats launched. Often, the slings won't go if there is too much wind which is not uncommon in some locations. If you aren't going to be there very often, you might want to favor dry storage so you don't have issues with having to check it often. Places like Whittier require a local contact in the winter to monitor snow loads and shovel if needed, so that adds some cost (only applies if it is stored in the water I believe).

A bit more information about your expected use would help refine the information people can provide.

Default Cordova or Valdez?

About the suggestion of Cordova and taking the ferry there, you can catch the Ferry at Valdez to Cordova, cuts the ferry time in half or better vs the ferry all the way from Whittier and a lot closer for you, I think.

There are various storage options in Valdez, from $1 a day outside about 2 1/2 miles from town to right in the harbor, not sure of the price, you can find Valdez Harbor online http://www.ci.valdez.ak.us/harbor/index.html or 907-835-4981 and ask them, and also they have a boat lift there to put you in and out of the water, but that can be $$$. Like Seward, they will accomodate you short term in the water if they have an unused slip but that goes away in the summer, and it's not a good place for transient, expecially when the seiner fleet is in.

Thanks for all the help, i hadn't thought of cordova and working that angle now, plan is to use the boat about 2 weeks every month, knocking around the coast, untill retirement that is then who knows , wherever the wind blows i hope!

you may be interested in Seldovia too. Just a quick flight from Homer or take one of the ferry's across.

Cap'n Ron makes some good points. You have to hire a watchman to keep it shoveled and and have good chaffing gear on your mooring lines.