Thread: CaseTrimmer

Default CaseTrimmer

i need to buy a case trimmer and was looking on midway for a manual trimmer and there is quite a few brands, price ranges, styles, etc. and was hoping that someone would recomend me one. i will be trimming pistol and rifle. i am not a bench rest shooter but i also don't really want a piece of junk. any suggestions will be welcome.
    thanks

I couldn't find the one I got on Midway site but here's the one I absolutely think is great,

http://www.sinclairintl.com/.aspx/pi...mer_with_Stand

It's a fair bit more spendy, but the Micrometer setting part is really nice to have,
    Wilson makes good stuff, maybe their more basic model for $48 would do fine also
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

I have the Hornady model for most of my trimming. It's low cost and very reliable. Adjustment is easy and repeatable to .001 or less without any special gimmicks.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...tNumber=315831

Setting trim length is easy. Just find a long case and set the cutter up with zero clearance. Then adjust a touch at a time until you get down to your length. Once there leave it alone and trim the rest. The unit stays in it's adjusted position and cuts with ease.

thanks for your help. these forums are a great sourse of info and the people are very helpfull.

I've been happy with my Lyman.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Forster.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    Forster.

Smitty of the North
    Listen to Smitty, he won't steer you wrong...
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

I have a lyman that works well. It uses a universal chuck that fits anything and is very fast installing and removing cases. I also use the cheap Lee trimmers for the cases they make trimmers for. I use them in a drill press and there is no adjustment just set the case under the cutter and pull down on the handle. The lee also work really well in my mini lathe, probably about as good as it gets. The only problem is the Lee is pre set for length of case. I think most of the trimmers work ok but some take more parts for each caliber/case than others and some are a lot more money than others.

The Forster are good - I have several of them including one I bought new and several I picked up used at gun shows. The Forster also has the internal and external neck turning feature which can be useful. Only curse of the Forster and others that use a collet is that the trim lenght isn't as precise as others that depend on the actual flat base of the cartridge instead of grasping the diameter of the base. However the collets do handle a number of different cartridges.

If you are shortening a large number of cases like making 7.7 Jap cases from .30-06 cases a trim die is the trick.
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

Quote Originally Posted by tvfinak View Post
    Only curse of the Forster and others that use a collet is that the trim lenght isn't as precise as others that depend on the actual flat base of the cartridge instead of grasping the diameter of the base. However the collets do handle a number of different cartridges.
    Can't argue that the collet will sometimes do this, but it's a good thing that a variation of .001 (though I think with good brass mine will hold a little closer tolerance than that) makes no quantifiable difference in ammo IME.
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

I have owned and used the Hornady, Forster and now redding. Of the three, the Redding is the most accurate, but the slowest. As I am built for comfort, not for speed, I think the Redding is the best.

Any whoever knows the song above and the artist, PM me and you get a prize.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildalaska View Post
    I have owned and used the Hornady, Forster and now redding. Of the three, the Redding is the most accurate, but the slowest. As I am built for comfort, not for speed, I think the Redding is the best.

Any whoever knows the song above and the artist, PM me and you get a prize.
    Your box is full..........and I ain't just howlin wolf.....................................
    I like my Hornady, it's got everything all the good girls need.
    "The older I get, the better I was."

Quote Originally Posted by travelers View Post
    Your box is full..........and I ain't just howlin wolf.....................................
    I like my Hornady, it's got everything all the good girls need.
    Nice. Nice. Nice. You come by if you are in town or call me, he who knows the Wolf gets quadruple cool points in Kens book.