Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Transporting Crab on Road Trip

Default Transporting Crab on Road Trip

I was wondering: What would be the best way to transport crab on a long (30 hour) road trip? Would it be sufficient to cook the crab and then just transport it on constant ice? If so, should the crab be put in some sort of plastic bag? Kept whole? Broken in halves? What about dry ice? Better or worse?

thanks,
    RW

Crab should be kept alive until cooked; then frozen. It depends on the crab you are catching on how you clean and cook them as well. But; I would recommend cooking them and then transporting them. Thats what I do from Kodiak.

These would be Dungies. In WA, I usually crack them, cook them, and keep them in the fridge or on ice until I eat them. But I've never left them cooked for longer than a day, so I was just curious if the 30 hours would be too long.

RW

dungies will stay alive for several days if you keep the moist & cool. most of the shippers place damp towels under/over them. might be worth checking out & trying.

I have kept them alive as long as 24 hours by using a portable aerator designed for use with live bait like they use in the lower 48.
    24 hours was the max I would try to keep them alive and usually it is only 2 hours or so. I usually put them in a tote of water with the Aerator going then when I get home from Homer I cook them right away.Whatever we don't eat fresh we shuck and freze the meat for use later on for crab cakes or my favorite crab stuffed mushrooms.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Quote Originally Posted by excav8tr View Post
    dungies will stay alive for several days if you keep the moist & cool. most of the shippers place damp towels under/over them. might be worth checking out & trying.
    Quote Originally Posted by kasilofchrisn View Post
    I have kept them alive as long as 24 hours by using a portable aerator designed for use with live bait like they use in the lower 48.
    24 hours was the max I would try to keep them alive and usually it is only 2 hours or so. I usually put them in a tote of water with the Aerator going then when I get home from Homer I cook them right away.Whatever we don't eat fresh we shuck and freze the meat for use later on for crab cakes or my favorite crab stuffed mushrooms.
    An aerator would be optimal to be sure, I've had good success in wrapping dungies in wet newspaper and keeping the paper wet throughout transit. Once wrapped, place em in a wetlock (waxed cardboard fish box) and every few hours check to make sure the newspaper is still wet. If you wrap each crab snugly (add a rubber band to keep the paper in place), and then place them on their backs...From my experience this keeps them dormant and alive for 24-36 hours if monitored and moistened as necessary...
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

I cut in half, clean, cook and have kept on ice for a couple of days with no problem. Tanners. 30 hours on plenty of ice will be just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by whatablast View Post
    I cut in half, clean, cook and have kept on ice for a couple of days with no problem. Tanners. 30 hours on plenty of ice will be just fine.
    I the same. I talked to a Biologist out of Homer. He suggested cooking within a few hours of killing and cleaning them. I cook them within the hour of catching them right there in the camp ground or boat parking lot. I have kept what I couldn't eat on ice for several days, in a plastic bag and kept it out of any melting ice water. I have found that Tanners taste watery if you freeze the legs whole. Last year, I shucked all the meat and vacumm sealed the meat. Meat still taste fresh after several months in the freezer.

if your going to freeze, place some milk in the bag with the shucked meat, will help get rid of that "freezer" taste

Charterboat Operator

Quote Originally Posted by chico99645 View Post
    I the same. I talked to a Biologist out of Homer. He suggested cooking within a few hours of killing and cleaning them. I cook them within the hour of catching them right there in the camp ground or boat parking lot. I have kept what I couldn't eat on ice for several days, in a plastic bag and kept it out of any melting ice water. I have found that Tanners taste watery if you freeze the legs whole. Last year, I shucked all the meat and vacumm sealed the meat. Meat still taste fresh after several months in the freezer.
    double that, cook as soonas possible, then freeze, tastes as if it were just done. reheat on the grill right next to a couple moose, opps wrong country, elk steaks. does not get any better.

Stop it your starting to make me slobber down my shirt.

I'm not starting to slobber, I have been since reading this thread
    If a dipnetter dips a fish and there is no one around to see/hear it, Did he really dip?

What is the possession limit for Non-residents .... ? I know the daily bag now is 3 Crab for the non-res.

That would pertain to raw whole or clusters.

Once cooked I don't think it is considered under a possession limit. Once cooked they can be iced down or refrigerated for no more than 3 days. They can be cooked frozen whole or in clusters and last for awhile. But keeping them frozen on a ferry / road trip would be hard.

I haven't looked up the limit regs yet. I usually do that about a week before we head up there so we know for sure what we're dealing with. With that said, we won't have a whole lot of room in the coolers, so I can't imagine us even pushing the possession boundaries.

RW

Cook it.
    Shuck it.
    Vacuume process it.
    Defrost it.
    Nuke it in a wet cotton towel.
    Butter it.
    Slather it all over your face as you suck it down...

Rosenberg/Florida
    "Two decades researching and defining fishing opportunities in the Last Frontier!"

If freshly caught, I'd stick a layer of ice in a cooler, lay a damp (not soaking wet) towel on the ice with 1/2 the towel hanging out of the cooler, set the crabs down on the towel, fold the remaining portion of the towel over the crabs, and place a layer of ice over the top. Close the cooler. They will easily stay alive for 30 hours like that. Cook em then eat them.

If you are not going to eat them soon after their 30 hr trip then cook and freeze right after catching.

Holy crap! Unless you choose to squat and pee, boil those bad boys up, buy several pounds of unsalted butter, and eat it. Drink some beer and you will be able to eat more. You are not going to be able to capture the "fresh" flavor by freezing! Otherwise buy it in town.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by spoiled one View Post
    Holy crap! Unless you choose to squat and pee, boil those bad boys up, buy several pounds of unsalted butter, and eat it. Drink some beer and you will be able to eat more. You are not going to be able to capture the "fresh" flavor by freezing! Otherwise buy it in town.
    Thank God, I don't have gout, cuz I just about OD on crab during the evening while I'm spending time in Homer catching them. Crab, Butter and Coleslaw is all I want while I'm down there, and maybe some butter or little neck clams if I'm lucky enough to hit the tide. Nothing like "Fresh" shellfish. And also Thank God for Lipitor!!! ****, I just started drooling!

"Holy crap! Unless you choose to squat and pee, boil those bad boys up, buy several pounds of unsalted butter, and eat it. Drink some beer and you will be able to eat more. You are not going to be able to capture the "fresh" flavor by freezing! Otherwise buy it in town."

Reminds me of a certain 3 day shrimp-a-thon a few summers back! God that was awesome! Foks around these here parts are still talking about those PWS shrimp; legendary!

Quote Originally Posted by Big Jim View Post
    "

Reminds me of a certain 3 day shrimp-a-thon a few summers back! God that was awesome! Foks around these here parts are still talking about those PWS shrimp; legendary!
    Might have to repeat it, then!
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast