Thread: shooting lead cast paper punchers out a 10mm system

Default shooting lead cast paper punchers out a 10mm system

So I've been trying to do some searching and haven't come up with much, but long story short I'm finally getting back into handloading and the guy who makes my .45 bullets aslo makes .40s (cast lead). My question is can I run those full lead .40 cal rounds through a glock 20 10mm with a light loadout or will I turn my barrel into an unusable piece of metal tubing? And if I can, does anyone have a pet load for this setup they'd be willing to share?

Thanks guys!
    -Justin
    Do something brave today... then run like hell
    ~~~~~~~
    The ideas of tomorrow are fashioned by those who challenge the ideas of today.

Backing off pressure will help a bunch but bullet size compared to your bore is still important as well as proper bullet hardness. I would size them at least .401 but .402 might be better. If I was going to shoot them about 900fps I would start with air cooled wheel weights and only go harder if that didn't work well. As speed and pressure goes up so probably should bullet hardness. It might take some messing around but should work once you find what it likes. Just watch closely for leading until you get something that works.

awesome, thanks for the info. I didn't want to flash the barrel and have heard that the hexoidal barrel on the glocks don't like lead, but I'll just start a bit harder and slower and mess around from there.

Thanks again!
    ~~~~~~~

Harder is better is not always the case. Most leading is caused by the bullet not sealing the bore completely. Hot high pressure powder gases cut the lead off the outside edge of the bullet and deposit it on the barrel. Bullets are round and the hex barrels are not so the bullet has to mush out to fill the corners of the hex or start out bigger than the corners. Softer bullets mush out easier but they also flame cut easier. The idea is to get the bullet hard enough but not to hard and big enough but not to big. Once you find the right combo you may be able to push the cast just as fast as jacketed in your 10mm. I would start with air cooled wheel weights (about 12BHN) and about 900 fps and a bullet size of .401 or .402 Others have made the glocks work with lead using the stock barrel. If all else fails you can install a rifled barrel and easily shoot cast and jacketed.

oops, think I misunderstood that first part about hardness. Thanks for the clarification! I'm not new to reloading but have absolutely no experience with using full lead bullets.
    ~~~~~~~

I always thought lead and a polygonal bore was a not a good combination. Do you a replacement rifled barrel?

I've also heard that but haven't seen any data to back it up, and I look at glock saying it being similar to mongoose putting a sticker on their mountain bikes that says "do not ride off road." Guess I'll find out soon enough, though I suspect I am far from the first to try this.
    ~~~~~~~

Poly barrles can be made to shoot cast bullets but it may be more difficult than a rifled barrel. If you don't watch for leading as you work up a load you can get excess pressure from a barrel that gets smaller as the lead builds up. You usually only have to shoot a few to tell if leading is happening. !0 or 12 rounds should be enough to see if a load is going to work or not.

I shoot laser cast bullets out of my G20 but I have two Wolf barrels to use. Like everyone else I have heard/read not to shoot cast in factory glock barrels. Since I like to shoot the cast bullets I chose to get the after market barrels. I have not looked back since than.