Thread: 50 patch and ball for moose

Default 50 patch and ball for moose

I have an old tc that I love to shoot. Will the old patch and ball in the 50 work for moose? 54 would be my choice but I allready have a nice 50.

Thanks

Monthunter

I'm with you on preferring the 54, but with careful shooting and a reasonably stiff load, the 50 has been doing it with round balls for years. I know several hunters that do it, but they're good hunters with great stalking skills and are willing to pass up marginal shots. Even with a 54 I don't think I'd risk a marginal shot, but it would extend the range a bit.

I'm more of a fan of 58's and 62's myself, but I wouldn't hesitate to take a moose with a 50 cal RB out to 50 yards or so with a good clean shot into the lungs.

yep right in lungs dead moose.
    Do I give my friends advice? Jesus, no. They wouldn't take advice from me. Nobody should take advice from me. I haven't got a clue about anything..

that is what i was thinking as well. As a very responsible bow hunter I know that shot placement is paramount. I have passes on many deer/elk becuse the shot just was not right. Every animal I have harvested with a bow was a double loung shot and a few even had the heart in there as well. I am glad that the old 50 will work but will keep an eye out for one of them big boys for sale.

MontHunter

Yeah, any double-lung shot you made with a bow will kill a moose with a 50 cal ball. I've got several 50's, but never used them for anything but deer. Using 80 grains of 3f Goex or Pyrodex P, I also never recovered a ball from deer.

I have a 50 cal. TC Hawken and it shoots PRBs at a with acceptable accuracy, however not nearly as good as my Johnathan Browning Mountain Rifle in 54 cal which is twisted for PRBs.
    I've put a Swagged round ball through a 300 lb hog at 80 yards with my 50 cal TC, using 90 grns of Pyro P. However as the balls get softer they tend to flatten and some have been recovered at angling shots on simular size animals. This is about the limit at which I feel comfortable shooting my TC due to it's dual twist @1-48". My 54 has a 1-66" twist and shoots PRBs well and shoots Bullets poorly; out to 125 yards, and I have taken whitetails at that range with PRBs.
    Moose aren't bullet proof and a well placed heart-lung shot is fatal. I wouldn't be afraid to use a 50 cal PRB on a moose out to 80 yds with either of my rifles. I would use a swaged ball though and keep my shots limited to a distance at which I could successfuly put all my balls into a 9" paper plate.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

My 2 cents:

I do my hunting down here in Idaho. Mostly deer and elk. I've shot 10 elk with blackpowder and a bunch of deer. My first rifle was a very accurate 50 cal. round ball shooter. I shot one nice buck with it. But, when I decided to hunt elk with a muzzeloader, I decided to switch to a 54 because I heard a lot of stories about hit and lost animals with the 50. My 50 round balls wieghed 185 grains. The 54 bullets weighed 455 gr. My thoughts were 1. a 455 gr bullet traveling the same speed is going to have much great knock down energy and 2. leave a bigger hole. Most of the elk I have killed were hit in the lungs and immediately dropped with a 54. I might have had the same results with a 50, but animals on the ground make you a believer. If I had the opportunity to go after moose, I would have a good reason to consider a 58 or a 62. You know what they say about the most toys.

Quote Originally Posted by idakfisher View Post
    You know what they say about the most toys.
    And how! That's why I keep picking up more of the blooming things. Factory guns are one thing, but now I'm collecting pieces for customs. Sheesh.

One thing to be clear on, no matter which caliber and ball/bullet any of us choose. They all have their limits, and the biggest part of hunting is staying within the limits. Can't do it? Don't hunt with it. A 50 RB wouldn't be my first choice for moose because of the severe limits I see on its use. But if it's all I had or if I had sentimental reasons for using it, then so be it. I'd just get closer and shoot more carefully. And be prepared to blow lots of stalks and pass up lots of shots.

You might find that your old TC will shoot the short (they come in 2 lengths) 50 caliber REAL bullets by Lee.These bullets will increase your projectile weight by about 50% to I believe 270 grns. Since you didn't give a TC model I'm not sure what the twist is. If it's 1-48 you can shoot Thompsons projectiles for your hunt; UNLESS it's PRB restricted .
    OR just explain to the CFO that you're really gonna need another rifle.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !