Thread: Mountain hunters light weight bone saw?

Default Mountain hunters light weight bone saw?

I'm just tired of hauling my Wyoming saw around and wondering what you sheep/goat hunters carry along for a light weight bone saw.I was thinking of takeing a copeing saw and fashion some handles and trying to cut through a old skull I have laying around.I would love to hear what all you hardcore weight shavers carry along to cut the horns from the skull.

Nothing.

I used to use a sawvivor on caribou hunts. First one I had lasted several years, next one was a pos that broke the first time out.

I don't know how light you're looking to go but I've used the Kershaw combo knife and have been very happy with it. Comes with sheath, knife blade and interchangeable bone saw, both of which have performed well for me.

Browning ultra lite folding saw,comes with wood and bone blade.Comes in 2 sizes ,I like the longer one for moose and elk. It is so light I carry it everywhere.

if you are simply looking for a saw to take the horn cap off why not try a looped-end plumber's saw ? fine cable with burrs on it with a plastic covered loop at either end to hold onto - I haven't needed a saw to bone an animal for years (including moose) but these are ultra lightweight, cheap and effective, even through hair

Remove lower jaw and all the extra material you can with a knife. The rest of it stays put till base camp/airplane. Not worth carrying a bone saw to me.
    I used to carry one but I feel its just extra weight now adays. Plus lightweight ones usually suck.

I also have the kershaw replaceable blade deal. It weighs next to nothing and the knife is decent. Its more work than a full sized saw though and after cutting through several skulls and ribs mine is dull. The skinner blade is awesome on bigger game the saw is not. I would buy another one in a second for backpacking. About 40$ at Wallys or 3 bears. Technically called the Kershaw Alaskan Blade Trader System.
    I come home with an honestly earned feeling that something good has taken place. It makes no difference whether I got anything, it has to do with how the day was spent. Fred Bear

Quote Originally Posted by AK-HUNT View Post

Remove lower jaw and all the extra material you can with a knife. The rest of it stays put till base camp/airplane. Not worth carrying a bone saw to me.
    I used to carry one but I feel its just extra weight now adays. Plus lightweight ones usually suck.
    Totally agree.

I have used the Browning ultra lite myself on everything. Its lite and I have had it for 11years now.
    Dan

no bone saw needed, agree with statements above....
    I ♥ Big Sheep

I don't cap them (like euro mounts) but I do take a 13 inch piece of metal band saw blade (about 1/2 inch wide) with me on most adventures. it is light and cuts really good. I took about 3 to 4 inches of the teeth on one end to a bench grinder to make the handle. Pretty light - bends some but rigid enough to cut wood or skull. Easy to pack and light.

Wetterling hunters axe

Sierra folding saw, about $10 at sportsmans or walmart. http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___22144

i USUALLY TAKE THE WIRE SURVIVAL SAWS (USUALLY 2). VERY, VERY LIGHT. ONE WILL LAST FOR FROM 1 TO 4 SKULL CAPS. TAKES A BIT OF EFFORT, BUT WILL GET THE JOB DONE AND WORTH THE WEIGHT SAVINGS.
    "Actions speak louder than words - 'nough said"

I haven't been carrying a saw. If you discard the lower jaw, tongue, eyes, and facial muscles from a sheep head, you're probably only carrying an extra 2-3 pounds compared to just the horns and skull cap. If I had a very light saw that worked well, I would use it, but most of the light saws I've seen don't seem very efficient. Also I'm at the point where unless I kill a really large ram, I'm selling the cape and doing a euro mount.

I use just a regular ABS pipe saw. You can buy them down at AIH. Cheap, lightweight, and blades are replaceable. The only problem is they don't come with a case. I just take a piece of cardboard, fold it over the blade, cut the cardboard to fit, and wrap it in duct tape.

Pipe saw works. Was with a buddy that had one on a sheep hunt last fall & in the end he made two cuts & only packed out the skull cap w/ horns. His was a cheap one & he ended up heating the blade up & it busted on the 1st cut. Second cut was a bit slower, but he saved weight. Hard to beat compared to a normal hand saw w/ a rigid blade. I was a skeptic until a witnessed it first hand.