Thread: Tried and True river otter sets? Anyone?

Default Tried and True river otter sets? Anyone?

Anybody have any tried and true methods for catching river otter along open streams or rivers? I need something that is effective, but prevents birds from getting in it. I've tried submerged 220's around their "toilet" areas and have had them dance all around them, but with ice overhang its hard to make a set a good set for more than a few hours since the ice is constantly moving. I did catch one in a cubby with a #2 foot hold, but I'm afraid of birds eating the otter before I get to it... Ive heard of using buckets and 220's similar to wolverine sets. The problem is I don't want the birds to eat my catch before I get to them, so something underwater would be better. Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

well i would check with lbtrapper... for a 16 yr old hes got otters DOWN PAT!... as for bird issues? well.. check them more often?
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Well depending on how much open water you have, the best way would be to fence up their travel routes and set some 330's. Here's a before pic..

After..

Another set for when they are travelling on top of the ice, especially in family groups is to set a 330 in a pocket along the edge of the bank. Remember, otter's are part of the weasel family and will investigate things that look unusual. Here's tracks from a family of otters..

Before..

After..

well said/done trailblaze..

akcrewdog go to my youtube page...just type in "double on otters" and my videos will pop up..
    one trick i use is they will get out of the water at the same spots to play.. take a nice chunch outta the bank and make fake slides with your foot and they will use that..just set a 330/#4 in the way.

another is to set footholds on there toilets..that almost a sure fire set..i have several videos on otter that should really help you.
    my youtube name in lbtrapper also

#4 double spring - pan set to second knuckle depth of index finger; cut out bank on each side so water will flow over pan; secure with chicken wire basket filled with rocks. Get another trapper to send scent glands from another area.
    I tried those 330s but had problems with the eagles eating the "catch".
    Joe
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails land otter.jpg  

wantj43.. thats a big problem here also..
    heres my trick to it tie alot of extra twine/wire to it so they have room to get in cramped areas like thick brush, undre rocks, back into the water ..etc. and it does work..in this video here i had the trap wired on to a tree high on the hill. and i had to get it out of the brushes...i just threw it on the beach for the video

here is the link.
    Last edited by Brian M; 01-20-2011 at 21:34. Reason: making video play inline

Jeez Joe, I didn't know they had otters in the stone age......Steve Potter

Quote Originally Posted by fnspotter View Post
    Jeez Joe, I didn't know they had otters in the stone age......Steve Potter
    Hey Steve! Great to hear from you! Up for a little coyote hunting next weekend? We're thinking about heading down towards Delta (if we can get the "lantern" to work!).
    Joe

Hi Mr Potter, also great to hear from you. Hopefully will see you at the fling this year. Hope your season is going good!

Thanks to everyone!!! I'm excited to give em a try.

Hey Steve, Great pictures as usual, doing good here. Joe, I should have known just to keep my big mouth shut. You know me, I couldn't pass it up. How you doing? As for the coyote hunt and lantern, I don't know what you're talking about!

Best of luck akcrewdog, hope you catch a bunch. By the way, trailblazer steve, please call me steve as well. Mr. Potter makes me sound as old as wantj43 actually is.