Thread: Bear Hunting: How much rain is too much rain?

Default Bear Hunting: How much rain is too much rain?

My last trip to SE provided abnormally nice weather, and the bears were out in force (other than on the hottest day). Typically, though, the weather is much wetter in late May / early June.

With this in mind, I'm guessing the bears are still active in the rain. Is there a point where they will hole up in cover to avoid the rain? Or do they even care?

RW

They dont care.

Well I'm gonna respectfully disagree. I got holed up on Kuiu once and it rained a total of 9" in three days and the whole place flooded. The bears didn't come out on the stream and I didn't find em cruising the beaches either. When the weather cleared and the water levels dropped the bears came out in force. So I'm guessing if it's a really, really heavy rain storm bears lay low.

I have to agree with Bighorse. I am not hunting SE, but I spend 40+ days a season out on Prince William Sound. Bears are a lot like humans. They don't seem to mind a steady sprinkle, but inches of rain per day and you might as well just hunker down yourself. Most of the bears will be doing the same. When you get an evening low tide in conjunction with blue skies the bears will start popping out on the beaches like popcorn.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

The bears are still there you just have to hunt in thicker stuff,more protected areas
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Based on my experiences, I do believe that bears are less active during those "hurricane rainstorms" that can happen. But during those terrible weather events I'm less active also, so perhaps the bears are out and I'm not. But during thre common light rainfall so common tro Alaska, especially southeast Alaska, I believe the bears are active. And although the bears are still active, they are harder to see due to the lighting conditions and due to wet optics during dark and wet days.

Regardless of normal wet weather and bear activity, I suggest that you hunt every minute of every possible day. It only takes one bear and one shot opportunity to make hunt very great. So unless the rain is blowing at hurricane velosity, hunt like the predator that you want to be. Most hunters only have a few weeks per year to hunt, so plan on investing every moment hunting. You can be warm and dry next week when you are back in the office.

Buttttttt....I do seem to view more bears on a sunny morning following heavy rain.........

dennis

Heavy rains and wind does slow down Bear movement in spring and in fall ... on POW island.

In spring, just out of den, it takes em a bit to get used to things.

I grew up preferring to hunt in bad weather i.e. extreme cold, rain, snow, ice, etc. I think that many hunters do not care to hunt then and in the L48 there is less competition afield when the weather is bad. My success rates were the same, possibly better, in the poorer conditions and not competing with other hunters is a definite plus. Hunting in AK is less crowded in many places, but I've kept the same practices and hunt when I can regardless of the weather--so long as it is safe (relatively speaking). I've no scientific proof, but IMO the animals live outdoors all the time, so getting wet must be "normal" for them. I've tried to let it become "normal" for me.

I much prefer hunting in the heavy rain than in high wind. For numerous reasons I've found hunting in winds that are in excess of 25 mph to be difficult and a largely fruitless proposition. Not to say I do not hunt in the wind, but I much prefer heavy rain.
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.