Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Goat and Sheep hunting

Default Goat and Sheep hunting

I was looking over the regs yesterday and noticed a Unit were you can hunt goat (with a registration permit) and sheep. If you know where I am talking about and have any info on the accessibly of it, could you PM me so I can look into doing it. I am looking at next Sept. If it is something you can get to fairly easily. Any info would be great. Thanks and good hunting!
    Hunt until you don't like it any more

"if you can get to it fairly easily."

that sentence right there outa give you and idea on how this is going to go and how the hunting would be in the area your talking about.
    i'll say this, if there is good sheep AND goat hunting in the same place at the same time...it won't be easy to get to. If it is easy to get to, the hutning for both sheep AND goat will be next to crappy.
    I've guided goats and bears in the area you found in the regs. It ain't easy to hunt, easier to get there than it is to hunt it. sheep and goats are often on the ridges, hills and areas together.
    The key is not to bite off more than you can chew, theres a guide working out there and i'm sure you'll see him and his clients. if your hardcore, it's a doable trip.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

I hunted an area like this a while back and while there we many sheep in the area, there were no goats at all. Keep in mind that some of these units are very large and while there might be hunts open for two species in the same place, it doesn't mean they will be in the same place.

jcorwin and oakman....in the area (I believe) jcorwin is looking into.....

I have watched a dall sheep ram (sub legal) and a mountain goat billy only six feet apart and feeding on the same bushy thing...within the area jcorwin is looking at (I think)...

The ram was a year or two shy of being legal for my nonresident client-hunter, and he did not have a registration permit for the billy.

I believe transportation services/support will be the largest problem accassing the area. Really, really.

dennis

There are a couple of spots where a registration goat and HT sheep hunt overlap. Only one of the two is likely to produce a ram and none of the local air taxis are likely to provide access to that location.

I love the cloak and dagger speak in this thread. Sheep hunters(in particular) aren't likely to divulge much information about a spot that is "easy to access". If they do, ride a unicorn in and get more specific directions from the leprechaun waiting by the fountain of youth.

I believe you're better off focusing your efforts on one or the other, rather than trying to harvest both on one trip. It's a major accomplishment(at least unguided) just to bring one home at a time. But if you do, please post the story and pictures. You'd win the brass set award for sure.

Lots of folks reading this forum from the lower 48 sure wished they were faced with such tough decisions. Kinda makes these darn winters worth it.

I have heard of a place, from a friend, where after Sep 1st, you can get a sheep and goat, but my friend also has talked to a guy that has sheep hunted in this spot, and although it looks like an easy place to get to on the maps, it is actually really hard to get to and most people choose to hunt somewhere else. It would be quite an accomplishment to get both in one hunt though, I'm sure it has been done, but I haven't heard anyone on here telling about it.
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

In jest I say...
    Call the biologist!

Heeheehee

Taylor

I am aware of multiple areas that hold both legal sheep and goats in different GMU - some are registration areas and some are not. I would recommend that one organize their hunt toward the harvest of one or the other, always being ready to harvest a secondary objective should time and the situation permit ... but not to plan on it. Just a recommendation based on prior experience ... and mistakes.
    Good luck.
    "Actions speak louder than words - 'nough said"

Thanks to everyone for adding your opinions. I can understand why everyone would think I would be naive to think I am going to harvest or hunt both species. I kinda left it open and said I want to hunt both. I was just saying if I put in for the registration permit for goat, and hunted sheep, where is a good place to start. So my bad, it's more sheep and goat if possible. I was looking into unit 11. Sounds like it is not an easy area to get to. I will look into it more. Thanks again everyone.
    Hunt until you don't like it any more

Bear in mind that when hunting the Wrangell's - within the Preserve - you're talking about carrying a camp a long way from an airstrip to get to a legal sheep. Then obviously, if you get a ram, you'll need to carry everything back. When combining a mature billy goat with that sheep hunting endeavor - in the Wrangell/St. Elias Preserve - it's probably going to be humanly impossible for anyone short of Johnnie Weismueller or Superman to do it all in less than a week, which means that meat spoilage is then something to consider and be concerned about. I'd be very cautious about trying to do both and to be successful, while also complying with the salvage law.

Quote Originally Posted by Chisana View Post
    There are a couple of spots where a registration goat and HT sheep hunt overlap. Only one of the two is likely to produce a ram and none of the local air taxis are likely to provide access to that location.
    Care to elaborate on why air taxis would refuse to provide that access...

Yeah, I'm kind of curious about that, too. Of all the air taxi operators I know across the state, none would ever refuse a legally earned dollar when it's time to make hay while the sun shines. I'm curious to know why a couple transporters would refuse service to an area, unless it was a location that is either federally or statutorily off limits to commercial service providers.

Quote Originally Posted by Maverick940 View Post
    make hay while the sun shines.
    Don't bite the hand that feeds you.

First of all i do not support the policy that exist in that area.
    Butt....But...Maverick, your statement "Of all the air taxi operators I know across the state, none would ever refuse a legally earned dollar when it's time to make hay while the sun shines". Then clearly you don't know the air transporters on both sides of the Wrangle Mountains. The situation being discussed just might be on the south side. It might involve the largest outfitter and air service transporter with a fine sheep area that is exceptionally hard to access. And even if it can be accessed some of the strips are very dangerous and have claimed lives in the past. And this major outfitter is considered one of the absolute greatest pilots alive (not the nicest, but a great flyer), may have some financial control over his neighbors, the other air services because he provides them with business through most of the year. Business 101, how to succeed...keep out the competition.
    And in support of him....There is only so many flyably hours during the hunting season. He can be a successful, sustainable business without drop-off hunters. Therefore, you and I can not convince him to take us anywhere he would prefer us to not be at.
    Again, I do not support the practice, but thats life. If you or I are really upset at the practice, all we need to do is learn to fly, invest in a few thousand hours of flight time, buy a 90K SuperCub, and GO!
    This "lock-out" situation is common and has been discussed on the forum before. Nothing new or unusual here. Frustration for you and I....YES. But common practice some areas like the Wrangles and the AK Peninsula.

I know who you're talking about. I spent quite a while at his place and I've been all through that country, on foot and on horseback.

The Ellis brothers to the North, and Paul Claus to the south. They pretty much have the "RUN" of the Wrangell's. And a guided client pays 10x what a drop-off does. Easy math.

And might I add that Kirk Ellis on the northside is a fine, fair, and wonderful person. kirk simply no longer has time for drop-offs.
    And its more like 12 or 14 X. And again, there are only so many hours in a day. CLient-customers deserve the guide-outfitters time and services (that they paid for).
    And don't forget the man in black, Overly toward the east side...also to busy with guide operations for drop-offs.

I totally agree with the fact that a guide-transporter isn't going to drop unguided hunters on his guided clients. However, there's several permitted transporters who service the Wrangell/St. Elias Park/Preserve. I've had the fortunate opportunity to get to know and work for the Ellis family and the Claus family. As a registered guide myself and one who has two Part 135 transporter employees, I certainly realize that guide/transporters don't dump on their guided clients. Nevertheless, the transporter and guide industries on federal lands aren't mutually exclusive, even though each entity is on specific concession per that specific entity's service. For instance, a legally permitted transport/guide who is in the Nelchina Basin also conducts services on the north and south side of the range and, two transporters in McCarthy also service both sides of the range, as well as other transporters who reside from Northway/Tok, clean down to Palmer/Wasilla. Not too many years ago, there's was even a transporter who was based in Talkeetna and who was servicing that area, too.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast