Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Unit 16 Predator control for black bear

Default Unit 16 Predator control for black bear

I have a question for the predator control area of unit 16. I want to try to help out in controlling black bear in unit 16. I am thinking spot and stalk or calling them in. My question is regarding how to access the area. As far as I can tell one must have a boat to get in to that area. Am I correct in that assumption? If not what way is acessable to there? Have any of you all tried that area before?

Thanks

Monthunter

Boat is the primary means of access to Unit 16. While I am primarily a spot and stalk hunter, most of Unit 16 is very heavily forested, so spotting a bear is a tall order. The exception to that is hunting the riverbanks. The two times that I have seen bears along the banks are at dusk and just after the hooligan run in late May/early June. I just barely missed getting a shot off at a black bear eating dead hooligan along the Yetna in early June two springs ago - another 15 seconds and I would have had him. Anyhow, spot and stalk is possible from the river, but otherwise it's a tough place to do so. The majority of bear hunting in 16 is over bait stations.

16B is my area and I think it was summer of 2009 the state went in and took about 87 bears out. Then Feb, 2010 the biologists went in and said it looked like a healthy bunch of moose sprang back. Of course now there is a limit of 3 black bears. I think
    JOHN

Quote Originally Posted by alaska4ever View Post
    16B is my area and I think it was summer of 2009 the state went in and took about 87 bears out. Then Feb, 2010 the biologists went in and said it looked like a healthy bunch of moose sprang back. Of course now there is a limit of 3 black bears. I think
    wow that is a lot of bears. Well this year it is open for preditor control again and the use of foot snare is ok as well. looks intresting just getting to that area looks to be the biggest problem for me.

My friends did Predator Control in the Alexander Lake area in May 2009. They killed 6 bears in a week and saw plenty more. You will need to boat up the Yentna or have someone fly you in.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

[QUOTE=pike_palace;875085]My friends did Predator Control in the Alexander Lake area in May 2009. They killed 6 bears in a week and saw plenty more. You will need to boat up the Yentna or have someone fly you in.[/QUOTE

I am about 5 miles directly North of Alexander Lake.
    JOHN

I do unti 16 for baiting we took 6 bears year 2010. This year it is open for predator control. They have yet to say yes or no on the snare program. I'm all for it. I can say if you looking into the program understand the rules Lots of them. Im not going to do the program one I will not be able to be there every day 12 hour to check snare. Then the dealing with a brown if you snare one. Is the main reason why I'm passing on the program. I did find a link from fish and game telling the number on bears taken in differant units in alaska 2009. I couldn't find one for 2010 sorry guys.
    http://www.wc.adfg.state.ak.us/pubs/.../blb09perf.pdf
    Do I give my friends advice? Jesus, no. They wouldn't take advice from me. Nobody should take advice from me. I haven't got a clue about anything..

well if you find a good way to get there I have 2 hounds that would love to tree some over there and yes I have the permit for using hounds in that area.

If you can do your hunting in the fall go up to the east side of Beluga Mt. and hit the berry patches. My neighbors kids slaughter them every fall. There a lot of places you can get a cub with big tires into.
    Chuck

I'm thinking about flying over that way this spring with a buddy for a spot-and-stalk black and brown bear hunt. Is the vegetation too much near Alexander Lake or should I look elsewhere? Have no intentions on baiting over there.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    I'm thinking about flying over that way this spring with a buddy for a spot-and-stalk black and brown bear hunt. Is the vegetation too much near Alexander Lake or should I look elsewhere? Have no intentions on baiting over there.
    It's going to be really thick and where it's not thick it will be swampy and nasty. Not a good area for spot and stalk.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Quote Originally Posted by pike_palace View Post
    It's going to be really thick and where it's not thick it will be swampy and nasty. Not a good area for spot and stalk.
    The majority of 16B like this, or no?

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    The majority of 16B like this, or no?
    I've hunted other areas of 16B and it's just like this. It's the ideal area to bait. But for spot and stalk I wouldn't make 16B my first choice.

+1; there isn't allot of middle ground in 16B.
    "He should have been packing a more powerful gun...you have to be a very good shot or very lucky to stop a brown bear with a .357 Magnum." - Rick Sinnott, Alaska Department of Fish and Game biologist after a double attack by a grizzly.

I hunt 16B every year. Son and I took 5 blackies in a week and there were plenty more still coming in. Doing the predator control. You'll do good if you can keep the browns off the bait. Year before last had a brown camp on one bait station all summer. Wouldn't bait it for 2 weeks and in just hours of baiting he'd be back on it. Joe Hunt 015.jpg Stuff 100.jpg

I have been further west in 16B and the only ways to spot and stalk are along river, lakes, or the ocean. That place is thick!

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Boat is the primary means of access to Unit 16. While I am primarily a spot and stalk hunter, most of Unit 16 is very heavily forested, so spotting a bear is a tall order. The exception to that is hunting the riverbanks. The two times that I have seen bears along the banks are at dusk and just after the hooligan run in late May/early June. I just barely missed getting a shot off at a black bear eating dead hooligan along the Yetna in early June two springs ago - another 15 seconds and I would have had him. Anyhow, spot and stalk is possible from the river, but otherwise it's a tough place to do so. The majority of bear hunting in 16 is over bait stations.
    Hey Brian,

New guy here....Is it possible to have a successful hunt in this unit without a boat or plane? Looking at maps, seems like the river is a big obstacle. I'm hunting out of Eagle River so 16 would be perfect?

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Murray View Post
    Hey Brian,

New guy here....Is it possible to have a successful hunt in this unit without a boat or plane? Looking at maps, seems like the river is a big obstacle. I'm hunting out of Eagle River so 16 would be perfect?

it really depends on how hard you hunt and where exactly you go....it is about 99% inaccessible by foot....

You wanna get a good chance at black bears? glass the slopes above treeline along the seward highway between bird creek and 20 mile river, or down towards moose pass or the Hope road..lots of bears and a good spot and stalk success rate. You may hafta climb a little to get to em, but its the easiest and most affordable black bear hunt youll find here, pretty common day hunt...If you have patience and good "bear sense", you can find some big blackies in those places....

Release Lake Trout

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Murray View Post
    Hey Brian,

Eagle River is not in unit 16. It's in 14.

pike - I think his point was that he lives close(ish) to unit 16, so it's a relatively convenient hunt on paper.

Andrew - I live in Eagle River as well, and from my perspective it is far easier to do a black bear hunt (if on foot) in either Unit 7 from the Seward Highway or up Eagle River valley itself. There is a registration hunt up Eagle River and there are plenty of bears to be had.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast