Thread: Automatic jigging equipment question. Ever used them?

Default Automatic jigging equipment question. Ever used them?

I have been getting set up for Lake trout this year for the first time and I came across automatic jigging equipment and it looks interesting. I am traveling off the beaten path and will be fishing alone on a new lake. I will spend half of the day traveling and getting set up so my time on the lake will be limited until the days start to get longer. I think that the flashers would be a great tool for getting to know new areas but I just canít justify one this year. I am trying to maximize my coverage on the lake with one fisherman. From what I have read, setting conventional tip-ups for LT is probably a waste of time. I thought that if I could set up several jigging set ups be it the bucket type or the tip-up type, I could learn the lake better and faster. I found a bucket jig at SW for $50 and that seems nice to me cause you can use a regular fishing pole which is the one thing I do not like about tip-ups. Much more fun to fight the fish on a rod than just a line but that's just me. Then I came across a tip-up with an automatic jig and that is interesting too. I should also say that actually hooking the fish is not my primary interest in this case. If I can just learn the fish patterns, then I will move to where the action seems to be best. The ones I looked at may not be very convincing cause they repeat the same jigging motion rather than a sporadic motion which I have found to be more affective. I would think any movement would be better than nothing. I could get several of the Jig-up tip-up type auto jigs for the same cost as one of the SW bucket jigs (the jigging unit is attached to a bucket or some other object). I think I would be leaning towards buying several of the tip-up style jigs so I could get better coverage on the lake for less cost. The reviews are bad on these things as far as longevity but after the motor dies it is just a normal tip-up. The Finicky's fish factory seems to be the best but for the cost of 2 I would just get the flasher for a little more.
    I expect that batteries will be a pain but hopefully I can learn what I need to know before they go dead.
    If you have an opinion about these type of auto jigs, please share your thoughts. Like them? What kind and why?

Thanks

I was given a battery powered jig up as a gift and found it to be pretty much a joke. Couldn't get it to give much action, would always freeze, the drive mechanism was just poor. More electric gizmos that don't work in a real world setting. If you generaly have some wind, the wind style tip ups work better, better design, much less hassle, and give good action.

Thanks for the tip! Sounds about like most of the other reviews that I found on the cheap Jig-up style. Most of them recommended the wind style as the most trouble free hands off jig on the market. Sometimes simpler is better
    Thanks for the comment.

Avoid the jig-up for sure they are junk.when they break,and they will, you are better off throwing them away than to try and use them as a conventional tip-up.
    I do like the wind tip-ups and they work well once you figure out how to fine tune them. They do have problems on cold days though.
    I think a flasher is a great investment and will reap good rewards when trying to figure out a new lake. If your budget does not allow for a new one you could always look for a used one on EBAY or Craigslist. I don't often go icefishing anymore without my Vexilar.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

My experience is the same with the automatic jigger. Buddy of mine bought ne, and it worked fine...........for two or three minutes, max. Another guy I know had one and took it back after two trips of frustration and no fish. Finally, wouldn't you know it, someone gave me one for a gift! I didn't even try it out. Just watching it work, set up between two chairs, it gave up the ghost.

I will send you one, free, if you want to try it out.

Ted

Never tried the auto jiggers. Just don't think they would be a suitable tool for lake trout. I agree with Kasilofchrisn that a Vexilar or other brand of a flasher is the best piece of equipment for ice fishing that I have ever purchased. Also, check the ADFG website under the heading of "sport fisheries" and then the "lake maps" for the area you are going to as they have the bathymetric maps of many lakes which help in going to a new lake. Also, call the area biologist and ask if they can send you a bathymetric map of the lake you are interested in if it is not available on the ADFG website. Knowing the contours of the depths of a lake before you go is a big plus in identifying structure that might hold fish. Good luck in your pursuits.

Built one a few years back. Worked great...except I couldn't devise a method to set the hook. I was setting it up on Big Lake where there is no bait allowed. I suppose it might work better with bait. Eventually we just put big spoons on it near our holes without hooks for attraction purposes. Never was sure how much it helped.

Kasilofchrisn and Yukon Ted, Thanks for the comments. YT, thanks for the offer but probably not worth the shipping Sounds like a general theme with the Jig-ups. Guess you get what you pay for I figured if they lasted one day I could get what I needed out of them for $15. Sounds like those won't even last the day though so that option is out. Thanks for the suggestion. I have been looking for used flashers today and that could be my best option. The one thing that influenced my thoughts on just getting more lines in the water is because when it comes to lake trout, the truth is, everything I have learned as been read or watched on DVD so I am not very confident in my ability to judge an area based on depths and such. Probably has something to do with not understanding the flasher too.
    On the other hand, if you drill a hole and see fish, FISH THERE I think your right though, that is probably the best tool I could use.
    Gutleap, Thanks for the feedback. I agree, getting the bathymetric maps is the first step when trying a new lake. The only problem is, there isn't one for the lake I am going to fish. I spoke with the area biologist and he searched for a couple days and said he did not have one on file so I am essentially going in blind.
    Kardinal, after looking at everything on the market, I had the same thoughts as you. Make my own. Thanks for your feedback!

If you thing about it....if there is a hill rolling into the lake its gonna get deeper faster than level land.. just cause the lakes there the hill dont stop..I have one of those e-z jiggers and it works ok in my hardside but does go threw the batteries i can imagine how fast it would go through them with no heat..My 2 cents Good luck to ya Faith take a camera and lets see some pics of the fish WE helped you catch...lol

You got it! I actually already thought about posting pictures if I end up catching something worth taking a picture of. That would be fun for those following all my fishing for information threads. The only problem is, I'm afraid of the criticism if I donít hold my mouth open just right Actually, that thread from gutleap was very helpful and I learned what the game biologists have to say on the subject so I guess it worked out well in the end. Gutleap has thicker skin than I do
    I plan to have an honorable mention section in that future post for all those that helped If you want on the short list, you better cough it up lol Thanks for the PM and thanks for all the pointers.

Quote Originally Posted by Yukoner Ted View Post
    My experience is the same with the automatic jigger. Buddy of mine bought ne, and it worked fine...........for two or three minutes, max. Another guy I know had one and took it back after two trips of frustration and no fish. Finally, wouldn't you know it, someone gave me one for a gift! I didn't even try it out. Just watching it work, set up between two chairs, it gave up the ghost.

I will send you one, free, if you want to try it out.

Ted
    Yup, thats what happened to me also. Except I was dumb enough to buy the piece of junk!
    "If your not the lead dog.... the view never changes"