Thread: Keeping meat good while hunting on the Hall Road

Default Keeping meat good while hunting on the Hall Road

As I post before Im going on the hall road hunting from Aug 10-20 plan on hunting out of my SJX and camping at the lauch I know the weather can be warm during that time how do you all keep your meat from going bad. Chris

We stopped at a construction site and loaded up ten 8' logs in the back of the truck before leaving town. We used a few of these to make a meat hanging pole, then draped a tarp over the hanging meat bags. It got a bit warm, but if you keep the meat dry with good air circulation, the temperatures shouldn't be so warm that it'll go bad. If things get really warm, though, you might just have to head home sooner than planned. The nice thing about the log strategy that we used is that we could burn bits of it as firewood as we went along and we were able to donate some wood to those that came after.

Thanks Brain

The rivers are super cold up there and so are the evenings. Take along a bunch of contractor garbage sacks and cool your meat in the river. Hang it at night.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

shade, ventilation around all game bags, and be creative.

2x4s taken up in a pickup bed or ontop of your rig will allow you to construct a nifty pole-type hanger for game bags, and they lay flat inside your boat. I usually see 5-6 ea 2X4s taken along and use two crossed at each end with a high and low center pole, lashed together and guyed out with parachute cord or rope for stability.

Here's one way we've seen hunters succeed with meat care using oars, but the same concept can be used with 2X4s:

tent fly meat cache cover.jpg

I have heard rumors of a frozen underground lake north of Atigun pass providing chunks of ice to keep meat cool. Can anyone verify?

Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    The rivers are super cold up there and so are the evenings. Take along a bunch of contractor garbage sacks and cool your meat in the river. Hang it at night.
    The nights are questionable Doug, mainly depending on time of year of course, but the water is pretty cold all of the time. The garbage bags work well, just do it for an hour or two at a time. You'd be surprised how quickly caribou chills. If water gets in it or a spot gets damp, dry it quickly. We've done this many times with bou and moose. We typically just laid the game bags over a willow brush pile for circulation with a tarp over it and had no issues. Bring extra game bags to swap out with and go wash the bloody ones in the river. If its warm, they too will dry. TAG bags work great.

The underground frozen lake, haven't heard of that one. But after working up on the slope for a few yrs now, I know that the permafrost is very shallow. This would allow a guy to dig down about a foot and maybe chip out some frozen chunks of dirt. Put the dirt in garbage bags and lay the meat on that as well after soaking. Ya never know...

Quote Originally Posted by swampdonkey View Post
    The nights are questionable Doug, mainly depending on time of year of course, but the water is pretty cold all of the time. The garbage bags work well, just do it for an hour or two at a time. You'd be surprised how quickly caribou chills. If water gets in it or a spot gets damp, dry it quickly. We've done this many times with bou and moose. We typically just laid the game bags over a willow brush pile for circulation with a tarp over it and had no issues. Bring extra game bags to swap out with and go wash the bloody ones in the river. If its warm, they too will dry. TAG bags work great.

The underground frozen lake, haven't heard of that one. But after working up on the slope for a few yrs now, I know that the permafrost is very shallow. This would allow a guy to dig down about a foot and maybe chip out some frozen chunks of dirt. Put the dirt in garbage bags and lay the meat on that as well after soaking. Ya never know...
    I agree. The nights can actually be pretty warm IMO. If you are close enough to Deadhorse, one option is to have it shipped down to Anchorage or Fairbanks. That's what my buddy and I did last August. We were there early August and it was really hot. We were having a heck of a time keeping the meat fresh. We finally headed for Deadhorse which was only a 15 mile drive from where we were at, and I think it was only about 50 cents a pound to ship. If you bone out the meat and and package it in a cooler with some ice, it shouldn't cost you too much. Just a suggestion. Like others said, if you got a nice breeze and it ain't too warm, I'm sure it would be fine. But be prepared if you get warm weather.

Quote Originally Posted by Bushwhack Jack View Post
    I agree. The nights can actually be pretty warm IMO. If you are close enough to Deadhorse, one option is to have it shipped down to Anchorage or Fairbanks. That's what my buddy and I did last August. We were there early August and it was really hot. We were having a heck of a time keeping the meat fresh. We finally headed for Deadhorse which was only a 15 mile drive from where we were at, and I think it was only about 50 cents a pound to ship. If you bone out the meat and and package it in a cooler with some ice, it shouldn't cost you too much. Just a suggestion. Like others said, if you got a nice breeze and it ain't too warm, I'm sure it would be fine. But be prepared if you get warm weather.
    Thanks I never new that was a option Chris

Default What we did...

We built/brought a 2x4 set up and hung it from that. It worked well. When I killed my bou on 7 Aug, it was 67 degrees. That night, it hit 33 degrees. I still have the up rights from this hunt. If you want them, you can have them, just come and get them. I'm not sure where you are, I'm in Eagle River, if you're interested, let me know. Happy hunting, that was a very memorable hunt for me.

Hanging meat Aug 2007.jpg