Thread: operating temperatures

Default operating temperatures

i have a polaris 600 cfi 136". I am wondering at what temp the idiot light comes on? What temperatures are considered too hot. Not interested in hearing the, "need to keep temps around 120 f for ultra peak super duper high performance, " i really don't care. I pull a sleigh most of the time on a rock hard snow froze lake. I have seen temps upto 200, mostly from 140-180f. I have 144 studs and recently added scratchers, but haven't really tested them yet.

From what I understand, scratchers only help to lubricate your track rail plastics if your on bare ice or hard packed trails and can't get any loose snow on top of (inside) the track. I think that 200 sounds a little high for the temp, but if you haven't had it blow up or break seals then I'd keep running it. If you google your exact sled and search for specifications, I am sure that you will find the information that you are looking for. My sled runs at about 125 - 140 depending on conditions, that is mountain riding... No sleigh or loads except for my fat *****.

Can't speak for the 600 but the hot light on my Polaris 900 comes on at 210.

Yep. Most of the "too hot" lights pop at around 210F... just like a car. 140 to 180 is just about perfect. I like all my vehicles to run right at 180F.

Scratchers do help on hardpack and ice. They lowered the temps on my old sled by 20 degrees in those conditions.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Try to mount them as far forward on your rails as possible, this allows the chips to get into the track on onto the radiators. If you go too fast, you can see the "V" patterns of chips starting to become pointy and outside the track = temps go back up.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

thank you for the replies. I mounted them using front idler wheel adapters so i could keep the wheels and keep them far forward, worked great, dropped 20f on average. I live 20 miles from the birthplace of polaris, and my test rider friends told me the same thing, 120 is for peak performance, not going to happen here on the lake, 140-180 is more realistic, and not going to hurt a thing. I'm gonna pretend i don't have a temp gauge, and only worry if that little light comes on. Everyone knows opinions are like --------, everyones got one- but yours are appreciated. I made my own before asking here. Just tired of some of the other sights where everyone is about, by the book high performance- thats why i enjoy this sight much more true to life stories and replies. thanks again.

ive been using scratchers on my rmk for 2 years and if your going a decent speed they will spray plenty of snow into your tunnel.... as long as they are mounted forward. they also dont really work on glare ice.

Glare ice+Paddle track= NoNo
    Bawled it up while running the yetna in early season. Scratchers are a good way of keeping your ext temp down. With my RMK I just try to go off the trail were its not groomed, helps keep it alot cooler when trail riding!
    -Its better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees.
    -Put some excitment between your legs, ride a polaris!
    -Local 907 Riders Union
    http://www.youtube.com/user/AKMackdaddy?feature=mhee