Thread: Muzzle loader Fort Rich totals

Default Muzzle loader Fort Rich totals

In case you want to know I posted this in the archery forum also but i know some smoke pole guys do not hunt archery
    A total of 40 moose were taken this year:

8 muzzleloader (5 bulls and 1 cow during the fall season, 1 antlerless bull
    and one cow during the winter season).

4 fall archery (all bulls)

28 winter archery (2 bull calves, 2 antlerless bulls, 4 bulls still with
    antlers, 20 cows)
    PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!

The winter totals surprise me with the accounts I've heard of wolves moving in.

I haven't followed this at all. How many permits were hunted?

27 muzzle loader permits, 18 bull, 3 cow and 6 disabled veteran either sex permits,. 101 archery, 40 fall season bull archery, 35 winter archery either sex and an additional 26 disabled veteran winter either sex permits.

The anterless bull taken in the winter hunt for muzzleoader had already dropped his antlers, he looked to be about a 3 or 4 year old. .54 CVA traditional with a 385 grain Hornaday in front of 110 grains of pryrodex.

The wolves were running around the north end until the winter archers started taking a lot on animals, then they all moved down to the south part of the fort. I saw a lot of tracks early but not in the later part of the hunt. I did not see a wolf but I know others that did.

Thanks Bill! If my math is right that's 128 hunters for 40 moose. Pretty darned good hunt in my book!

I ran into a few hunters whose philosophy for the hunt was drive around until they see one then try for it. If you work on it, your chance of success increases but its not a push over hunt

That's my understanding, and thanks for confirming it. Just the fact that my thousand best friends won' t be out there at the same time is enough to make be apply.

I hunted in October and seen six moose total but was really restricted in the area I could hunt due to military operations the week I was there.
    I was able to hunt one day in December and seen one wolf and no moose.

Even though I did not score a moose, I was happy to have the chance. Other than driving to a place to hunt, I did not drive the roads hunting. Maybe thats why I did not score :-)