Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 23

Thread: ATV to the Yentna

  1. #1

    Question ATV to the Yentna

    I know people ride there ATVs to the mouth of the Yentna to watch the Iditarod and I'm looking for info from people who have done it, such as where is the best place to start Deshka, big lake etc.
    I know trail conditions are the biggest concerns and they change daily but just looking for the general info, I appreciate any help.
    19' Lowe Roughneck
    90/65 Honda 4 stroke
    Outboard Jet

  2. #2

    Default

    The easiest is to start at Deshka Landing so that you avoid the rough swamps. It's 16+/- miles to the confluence. Always a fun party!

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    3,293

    Default

    The Scary Tree parties have been getting smaller and smaller the past few years. The Willow Lake restart has been moved to later in the day to make it easy for the starting line spectators but it makes it tough for river spectators who have Monday jobs to stay around to see the teams pass by. You don't need to get to Scary Tree to have fun or to find company. Just below the mouth of the Deshka is a happening place, too. That would be an easy wheeler ride from the Deshka Landing area.

  4. #4

    Default

    Thanks guys I appreciate the info I hadn't thought of only going to the Deshka because I wasn't sure where the teams dropped down to the Su.
    19' Lowe Roughneck
    90/65 Honda 4 stroke
    Outboard Jet

  5. #5
    Member Trail Boss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Willow AK.
    Posts
    605

    Lightbulb Not far down!

    They get on the Su from Corral Hill Trail out of Willow about 3 miles down from Deshka Landing!
    Trail Boss
    Willow Trail Committe
    ALASKA'S Winter Park Cabins
    To boldly make trail where no man has gone before!!!

  6. #6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Trail Boss View Post
    They get on the Su from Corral Hill Trail out of Willow about 3 miles down from Deshka Landing!
    On normal years, Corral Hill Trail gets enough traffic on it, you should be able to ride a wheeler on it with no problems. If you park at the Crystal Lake Parking Lot and run that trail west, it will take you right to the trail. Usually hard packed and solid, perfect for a wheeler.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

  7. #7
    Member Trail Boss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Willow AK.
    Posts
    605

    Exclamation Just a note to the wise!

    Remember you should have current snow machine tags on all machines running this trail and there will be a least 6 State Troopers running the area for the Iditatrod!
    And that parking area is filled up by Friday night!
    Trail Boss
    Willow Trail Committe
    ALASKA'S Winter Park Cabins
    To boldly make trail where no man has gone before!!!

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Trail Boss View Post
    Remember you should have current snow machine tags on all machines running this trail and there will be a least 6 State Troopers running the area for the Iditatrod!
    And that parking area is filled up by Friday night!
    With a little luck, maybe they will be looking for Properly Licensed and Tagged Dogs too. LOL
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

  9. #9

    Default

    Another route to the Yentna is the Pt McKenzie gas line. Take the gas line trail to Flat Horn Lake, cross the east side of the lake and merge on to the Historic Iditarod Trail, follow it out to the Su and the Yentna will be just upriver. It is a longer route and only has a couple spots where snow accumulates otherwise it's hard pack or windblown the whole way.

  10. #10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Trail Boss View Post
    Remember you should have current snow machine tags on all machines running this trail and there will be a least 6 State Troopers running the area for the Iditatrod!
    And that parking area is filled up by Friday night!
    Bill, please explain why an ATV is required to have a sticker. I don't recall the Statute saying ATVs were required to have stickers when on snogo trails. Are the dog sleds registered?

  11. #11
    Member Trail Boss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Willow AK.
    Posts
    605

    Talking If everbody does their part!

    All Motorize rigs are required by law to have tags when riding winter trails.
    It's only fair if you use it help pay for it. It just wiil make it better for all!
    And we are trying to get tags for the dog sleds but DOT will not do it. No motor or serial number!
    Trail Boss
    Willow Trail Committe
    ALASKA'S Winter Park Cabins
    To boldly make trail where no man has gone before!!!

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Wasilla AK
    Posts
    161

    Default

    HEHEHE
    A serial number on the dogs but

  13. #13
    Member alaskabliss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    1,419

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by snowbear View Post
    Another route to the Yentna is the Pt McKenzie gas line. Take the gas line trail to Flat Horn Lake, cross the east side of the lake and merge on to the Historic Iditarod Trail, follow it out to the Su and the Yentna will be just upriver. It is a longer route and only has a couple spots where snow accumulates otherwise it's hard pack or windblown the whole way.
    Just remember that if you take this trail their is a weight limit. Troopers are busting rangers and other side x side's on this trail for the last couple years. 1000# is the limit from what I have been told

  14. #14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by alaskabliss View Post
    Just remember that if you take this trail their is a weight limit. Troopers are busting rangers and other side x side's on this trail for the last couple years. 1000# is the limit from what I have been told
    That would surprise me. Not to say it isn't happening. Lots of folks haul freight & fuel using the gasline trail. My Viking weighs darn near that much! Normally the weight limit is 1500# per the Generally Allowed Uses. I wonder if the 1000# is something to do with the Susitna Flats Game Refuge policies?

  15. #15
    Member akriverunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    wasilla
    Posts
    506

    Default

    yeah no ATV's over 1000 lbs but they can use heavy equipment and build an ice road........???

  16. #16

    Default

    We ended up going from Deshka Landing to the mouth of the Deshka to watch the Iditarod, it was a great trip without any problems, used 2WD other than bumped it into 4 coming back up the boat landing just incase, we were loaded heavy with wood and picnic gear also, if any of you are considering riding wheelers down the Su make sure the trails is packed and just go, it's a great ride, you have got to take advantage of this weather.
    19' Lowe Roughneck
    90/65 Honda 4 stroke
    Outboard Jet

  17. #17

    Default

    I just took the BigWheel out to Shell Lake from Deshka. It was an easy ride. Get out there now while the weather is absolutely perfect.

  18. #18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.BigWheel View Post
    I just took the BigWheel out to Shell Lake from Deshka. It was an easy ride. Get out there now while the weather is absolutely perfect.
    you know we don't believe anything you say unles you post a video, so let's see it.
    19' Lowe Roughneck
    90/65 Honda 4 stroke
    Outboard Jet

  19. #19
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    16

    Default

    Anyone know where to find the regs for this weight restriction? I am really puzzled why someone can pull 6 barrels of fuel twice a day for a lodge with no problem, which is around 2000# on a sled that probably weighs in at 150#. Is there something in writing that explains this, like the exceptions for wider tracks, ski wideners, or things that lessen and distribute the load. If anybody has a link or something that is more than hearsay, that would be helpful. Perhaps a link that has the info on ATV's needing registration stickers as well.
    Thanks!

  20. #20

    Default

    Lowe and Slow,

    That was an eight hour day in the saddle that didn't result in much video, due to it being a solo ride. I took a picture at the Skwentna roadhouse sign and next to a six-wheeled piece of heavy equipment stuck in the trail out by Shell Lake. Other than that, it was a day that doesn't warrant a video. Especially since I was really trying to make it out to Finger Lake.

    The Yentna was pretty hammered and whooped out, but the trails beyond Skwentna were amazing.

    Better get out there before the next weather system hits and makes it sleds-only again.

    Regards,

    Mr. BigWheel

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •