Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Turnagain Pass Area

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Palmer
    Posts
    125

    Default Turnagain Pass Area

    Was looking at putting up a bait station between Turnagain Pass and the Hope turn off. Just wanted to know if there is a lot of people baiting in the area. Don't want to step on anyones toes.

  2. #2
    Member ksaye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    135

    Default

    I have noted that snow tends to linger for a longer period from Turnagain to the Hope cut-off. And a lot of people bait the Hope area.

  3. #3
    Member akrstabout's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    2,293

    Default

    Yes lots of people in both areas. Even as you go toward Summit lake. We bunny hunting this fall down by Summit lake and found trails that I can almost guarantee went to to bait stations for spring. Flagging tape up high in the brush, was put there on snow. Great looking area and I know of one guy for sure down there. Where there is one there will be more. When we started baiting turnagain, back in 97, we ran into people instantly. Currently have neighbors, but all seems well. Both baits kill bears. Just might not end up with good neighbors. In the spring you will see people all over down there, they are baiting. Hope is busy as well. I am looking forward to the Hope area this spring. Buddy giving me one of his well established sites. Neighbors at each power pole, buddies' other bait, then whoever up at the next pole. Will put out a trail cam and sit a lot of hours. Go for it, worst that will is you will get run out. Be respectul keep some distance and you will be fine. Sneak in. I knew we had a neighbor but never seem them, just weird sign. Sure enough met them all last year. Good guys. No problems. Even helped them look for a wounded bear. We chat at the parking lot, but head seperate ways and don't walk near each others baits.

    4 wheeler access from parking just past ingram creek on the right. Run out along the tidal flats. People do it, but if you run further you might be fine. Not sure how many run that with wheelers, seen some in the spring though, especially on the memorial day weekend.

  4. #4
    Member akrstabout's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    2,293

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ksaye View Post
    I have noted that snow tends to linger for a longer period from Turnagain to the Hope cut-off. And a lot of people bait the Hope area.
    Yep last year was a bad year. Lots of late snow. Stuck around till July 4th weekend in lots of turnagain. Not much bait eaten, but I killed my biggest bear ever. Just gotta hunt and hunt hard. Sitting all night worked for me, first time doing it and nailed a pig of a bear.

  5. #5
    Member ksaye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    135

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by akrstabout View Post
    4 wheeler access from parking just past ingram creek on the right. Run out along the tidal flats. People do it, but if you run further you might be fine. Not sure how many run that with wheelers, seen some in the spring though, especially on the memorial day weekend.
    I walked one time along the flats at Ingram looking for bears. Heard a lot of (target?) shooting up in the trees above me; but as worked north there were less people. Just be careful on the flats; I believe this is the area where a women drowned when her atv got stuck in the mud.

  6. #6
    Member akrstabout's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    2,293

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ksaye View Post
    I walked one time along the flats at Ingram looking for bears. Heard a lot of (target?) shooting up in the trees above me; but as worked north there were less people. Just be careful on the flats; I believe this is the area where a women drowned when her atv got stuck in the mud.
    I heard that, back in late 80's or early 90's. Seattle creek I believe. Aways down there. I can't remember the whole story now. Just an option. Heck a avalanche could cut loose at any time and wipe out bunch of baiters. Heard snowmachiners screaming around last year while baiting. I guess everyone should vacat the area and leave me and the bears alone!!! I wish the guy well.

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Palmer
    Posts
    125

    Default

    Thanks for the help. I will have to get out and find myself a spot.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •