Thread: Canoe Advice

Default Canoe Advice

Hey,

We are looking to buy a canoe for my Dadís 60th birthday. He has a cabin on a lake in Talkeetna where he will primarily be using it. Although it would be cool if it were light enough to throw on his truck and go explore other lakes, most likely no rivers. The family has an 80lb Old Town at the cabin already, so we want to get him one that is significantly lighter for him and my mom to camp out of and portage when necessary.

I am pretty clueless, for I have not been in the canoe market for quite some time. I'm not even sure of who sells canoes in AK. Does anyone have any suggestions? Dealers? Size? Brand? Price?

Thanks,
    Josh

I got a Wenohah Escapade (~16') in kevlar as a present for myself a few years back. I think it checks in at about 38 pounds. My back has thanked me every summer. I got it thru Beaver Sports in Fairbanks. If I recall, they get a shipment up from the L48 every spring. This one was blemished, but works great on lakes.

If cost is not an issue:

Souris River Canoes

so maybe something between 50 and 60 lbs
    does that sound like something they can portage ok?
    You know The kevlar canoes are wonderful and light and paddle like a dream.
    some of them weigh less than 40 lbs.
    for all around use though I prefer a Royalex canoe.
    I like the Old Town camper model for family fun.
    comes in 16 and 17 ft length and weighs under 60 lbs
    really tough and just nice boats
    Sportsmans was selling them a few years ago
    REI usually has them too.
    there are so many varieties to choose from ..
    and most of the major brand canoe companies make royalex canoes of similar design for good stability etc.
    Kevlar can cost between 1900 and 3500 average prices
    Royalex camper should cost at todays prices about 1300 to 1400

what a wonderful son to get dad a great gift like that
    When you come to a fork in the trail, take it!

Rentals for Canoes, Kayaks, Rafts, boats serving the Kenai canoe trail system and the Kenai river for over 15 years. www.alaskacanoetrips.com

Quote Originally Posted by Heg View Post
    Hey,

We are looking to buy a canoe for my Dadís 60th birthday. He has a cabin on a lake in Talkeetna where he will primarily be using it. Although it would be cool if it were light enough to throw on his truck and go explore other lakes, most likely no rivers. The family has an 80lb Old Town at the cabin already, so we want to get him one that is significantly lighter for him and my mom to camp out of and portage when necessary.

I am pretty clueless, for I have not been in the canoe market for quite some time. I'm not even sure of who sells canoes in AK. Does anyone have any suggestions? Dealers? Size? Brand? Price?

Thanks,
    Josh
    Hi,

Money no object I really like the Swift Kevlar with their Carbon/Kevlar trim.
    For durability go with Royalex like already mentioned.
    I've got a couple kevlar canoes (listed below) you could take a look at and or test paddle.

Bell North Bay Cruiser
    Blackhawk Starship
    Blackhawk Combi
    Swift Osprey
    Swift Dumoine
    Wenonah Rendevous

dave
    Anchorage