Thread: bacon on top of meatloaf

Default bacon on top of meatloaf

I donít add any fat to my ground venison, and my meatloaf tends to be crumbly because of how lean it is. I think I might have solved the problem. I made meatloaf today and layered the top with four strips of bacon before baking it. It holds together well and the bacon grease adds great flavor to the meatloaf. It turned out good enough that I thought I would share it here. Forget duct tape; Bacon can fix anything.
    If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction.
    Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

i mix afew eggs in myself!
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

A few years ago, a Co-worker recommended I mix my moose with 10% bacon. I got some end peices and cheap bacon and mixed it 10% Its awesome. I will only grind my burger that way from then on.

As far as bacon fixing anything, you are correct if your a bacon lover. A couple months ago, I decided to cook a moose roast and tried something different involving bacon that was to die for.

I cooked up a half pound of bacon. Then I took a moose roast, tenderized it by stabbing with a large fork and then seared it in bacon grease about 2 minutes on all sides. I put 1/4 cup worchester sauce, 2 packs of lipton onion soup, 2 packs of brown gravy, 1/2 cup of wine into a crockpot. I then put the roast in the crockpot, sprinkled some montreal steak seasoning on top along with some garlic salt and sliced up a sweet onion and placed it on top and poured the rest of the bacon grease on top of the roast. Put the crockpot on high for an hour or so then placed it on low for about 8 hours. When I tried to pick it up with a fork, it completely fell apart and was amazing. I believe the bacon grease assist break down the meat. My wife told me, thats the way she prefers me to cook our roast from now on.

I mix an egg or two and throw bacon on top. Best of both worlds!!
    If a dipnetter dips a fish and there is no one around to see/hear it, Did he really dip?

I make my meatloaf out of homemade sweat Italian bear sausage, roll it out flat and lay about 1/4 pound of cheddar cheese chunks on it than roll it up, wrap it with bacon. And your in heaven!
    Everything is better with bacon! Ak reel cafe in Soldotna puts bacon on top of maple donut bars. Best invertion ever. Ive tried talking him into injecting them with scrambled egg to make the perfect breakfast. I've got a recipe for bacon breakfast cookies if there are any true bacon devoties here.
    Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,
    Teach a man to fish and he'll also learn to drink, lie, and avoid the honey do list.

Quote Originally Posted by Ak Bird Brain View Post
    I make my meatloaf out of homemade sweat Italian bear sausage, roll it out flat and lay about 1/4 pound of cheddar cheese chunks on it than roll it up, wrap it with bacon. And your in heaven!
    Everything is better with bacon! Ak reel cafe in Soldotna puts bacon on top of maple donut bars. Best invertion ever. Ive tried talking him into injecting them with scrambled egg to make the perfect breakfast. I've got a recipe for bacon breakfast cookies if there are any true bacon devoties here.

What would be good is the donut bar with scramled eggs, bacon, cheese, onions. WOW!
    JOHN

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by chico99645 View Post
    A few years ago, a Co-worker recommended I mix my moose with 10% bacon. I got some end peices and cheap bacon and mixed it 10% Its awesome. I will only grind my burger that way from then on.

As far as bacon fixing anything, you are correct if your a bacon lover. A couple months ago, I decided to cook a moose roast and tried something different involving bacon that was to die for.

I cooked up a half pound of bacon. Then I took a moose roast, tenderized it by stabbing with a large fork and then seared it in bacon grease about 2 minutes on all sides. I put 1/4 cup worchester sauce, 2 packs of lipton onion soup, 2 packs of brown gravy, 1/2 cup of wine into a crockpot. I then put the roast in the crockpot, sprinkled some montreal steak seasoning on top along with some garlic salt and sliced up a sweet onion and placed it on top and poured the rest of the bacon grease on top of the roast. Put the crockpot on high for an hour or so then placed it on low for about 8 hours. When I tried to pick it up with a fork, it completely fell apart and was amazing. I believe the bacon grease assist break down the meat. My wife told me, thats the way she prefers me to cook our roast from now on.
    you can save some of those liquids and just pour in a good dark beer... olive oil works to sear them in also.. its the 8 hours on low that makes them tender..
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    you can save some of those liquids and just pour in a good dark beer... olive oil works to sear them in also.. its the 8 hours on low that makes them tender..
    I know I shouldn't say this, but I'm not a fan of cooking with Beer. I really prefer wine. Its my genetics/heritage I guess. I've cooked them in the crock pot slowly before and I have never had one as tender as this. Besides, I really love Bacon. Its a Food Group by its self.