Thread: Unimak brown bear hunt video

Default Unimak brown bear hunt video

Pretty cool hunting footage of a pretty big bear on Unimak Island

Anyone know what outfitter this hunter hunted with?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4oJKDWl1Plk

Quote Originally Posted by svehunter View Post
    Pretty cool hunting footage of a pretty big bear on Unimak Island

Anyone know what outfitter this hunter hunted with?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4oJKDWl1Plk
    Interesting video thank you for posting.
    Not a good idea to split up the when approaching a downed bear the way the two hunter did in the video. Poking with a rifle to confirm "death" might not be the best way to go.
    Joe

Quote Originally Posted by wantj43 View Post
    Interesting video thank you for posting.
    Not a good idea to split up the when approaching a downed bear the way the two hunter did in the video. Poking with a rifle to confirm "death" might not be the best way to go.
    Joe
    Especially from the business end.

It says the hunter is Rusty Hall of Utah, the editor of Trophy Hunter Magazine. I know he hunted with Rod Schuh of R&R Guide Service in Cold Bay on Unimak a few years back. Big bear.

Yes thats right I talked with Rod at RR and he said it was one of his hunters a few years back

Everything about that bear said "big & tough". If I ever get to hunt one of those things, that's how I would want it to be. Up close & personal.

I wonder what caliber the shooter was using? They sure whacked when they hit. I bet a guy's 338 seems pretty small at 30 yards from one of those bowsers...

I noticed when it was walking with it's head down from the front the chest was pretty much covered and the only shot was to either side between the neck & shoulder...

When you shoot a brown bear, are you guys required to bring the meat in too? I can just see a guide opening up the lunch bag and saying (for the benefit of his client), dammit, brown bear sandwiches again?...

No requirement to harvest the meat of a brown bear a majority of the time, I think there is a subsistance requirement in a GMU or two, to either harvest the meat, or the hide and skull. The hide and skull must be taken otherwise.

Thanks 338. Does the edibility of that meat deopend on what the bear was eating or time of year?

The only bear I've taken was a Spring black in Canada, and that thing had to be the worst smelling animal I have ever been near. That includes a bull elk I shot during the rut, and my older lab Josie when she has the farts. I didn't want to waste edible meat, so I choked back a dry heave and asked the guide if we shouldn't at least take the back straps. I thought the guy was going to have a heart attack, he laughed so hard.

Every time I walk by that rug hanging in the stairwell, that smell comes back to me and I just cringe...

My buddy used to swear to me that Spring Black Bear was "Alaska's best kept secret." He said it tasted like a moist roast in the crock pot. I figure I'll have to try one of these years

That was a big bear, that hunt would be a ton of fun.

I have never had the chance to sample brown bear meat, never killed one either. I know people who have eaten and enjoy brown bear meat and know people that say it is inedible. I certainly would give it a go. Black bear meat I have eaten and have killed one, all the meat I have eaten from black bear has been enjoyable, and I do notice a characteristic flavor of their current diet. Oddly enough even a "fish bear" that I tried I liked, it had a fish characteristic to the flavor but was neither unpleasant or overbearing.

I like the hit him again,looks like a clean hit on the left rear paw
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

That was a bow shot to dream of!

Taylor

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    I like the hit him again,looks like a clean hit on the left rear paw
    That was my favorite part!

Great video and one close encounter, Marc you are right that would have been perfect for an archer or pistol hunter.