Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Juneau coho conspiracy revisited

  1. #1

    Default Juneau coho conspiracy revisited

    Ok-nobody probably remembers this-but I thought I caught a coho in Juneau last year for it to turn out to be a dolly-I know-idiot right... a couple of you on here helped me set the record straight.
    I'm going to Juneau 3 weeks later this year.... 29 July-7 Aug. Is there any posible Coho bight during that time frame and where?

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Juneau
    Posts
    1,098

    Default

    There would possibly be Cohos towards the end of your trip, but it will be saltwater fishing at places like DIPAC, Pt. Louisa, or False Outer Point.
    I'd agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong.

  3. #3

    Default

    Thanks man-I know where all of those places are located.

  4. #4

    Default

    AKBoater-couple more things... It seems like last year you told me that the dollies roll into Montana creek later in the year. Will the dollies be in Montana creek during the time I've mentioned? Also-I picked up some info that Chum will hit a quickfish. This sounds very counter intuitive-what say you? Only luck I've had with a quickfish was in Fairbanks for kings. Just doesn't sound like the right bait for chum.

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    1,283

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by krustydklawn View Post
    AKBoater-couple more things... It seems like last year you told me that the dollies roll into Montana creek later in the year. Will the dollies be in Montana creek during the time I've mentioned? Also-I picked up some info that Chum will hit a quickfish. This sounds very counter intuitive-what say you? Only luck I've had with a quickfish was in Fairbanks for kings. Just doesn't sound like the right bait for chum.

    Dollies will be in the streams during the times you posted...

    chartreuse flying C's can be good for chums in the salt as well.....find a deep area and reel in nice and slow...

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Juneau
    Posts
    1,098

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by krustydklawn View Post
    AKBoater-couple more things... It seems like last year you told me that the dollies roll into Montana creek later in the year. Will the dollies be in Montana creek during the time I've mentioned? Also-I picked up some info that Chum will hit a quickfish. This sounds very counter intuitive-what say you? Only luck I've had with a quickfish was in Fairbanks for kings. Just doesn't sound like the right bait for chum.
    The dollies will be following the Chums upstream eating the eggs as they float by during spawning. Late July early August would be perfect for that. You're familiar with Monatan Creek, that's a real hot spot for dollies during that time of year.
    I'd agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong.

  7. #7
    Member L. G.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    N'ern S.E. AK
    Posts
    838

    Default

    Cohos are available around 4th of July, but I think you'd really need to be on a boat somewhere. Handtrollers Cove is a good bet.

    What do chums hit? Never caught one from shore in the salt. Chum Candy is a fly that they seem to hit. I recall being in Fritz Cove on the boat looking for kings late June. Was fishing a Hot Spot with a dark blue hootchy down pretty deep. Couldn't keep the brite dogs off the hook!

    They will hit a Flying C or Vibrax off the dock at DIPAC. I see a few catch 'em with fly swatters too.

    Too bad you could delay even a couple three more weeks! Mid to end of August is prime time.

  8. #8

    Default

    I do have access to a boat. I have a friend that lives and works in Juneau that has a boat that we fished from last year. We fished from Amalga up near Boy Scout Beach. And yeah-I did catch a bonus King at DIPAC last year using a rooster tail. I do have the flexibility to change my dates, but with my luck it doesn't matter when I come-last week or the week after is ALWAYS the week to be there!!!! LOL Never fails. "yeah-they're bighting great now-but you should have been here last week..." or worse... "yeah-they're bighting ok-but in a few weeks, it'll be red hot..." lol I can't win.... lol I want to maximize day length so that had a lot to do with why I scheduled when I did. I'll probably end up doing some trolling during this trip, but am going to spend the majority of my time going after pink, chum, and dollies. I've never caught a cut throat-so, I'll probably try that also.
    I enjoyed the fishing in Fairbanks probably a little bit more-but my friend lives in Juneau and I really enjoy the town and people. Great vibe there. Awesome people and the fishing is ok.
    As for the snagging-got caught doing it when I was 16 years old for shad. My dad beat my *** with a metal clothes hanger. I've had aversion to snagging since. I'm not going after food-although I will take some home-so the snagging just doesn't appeal to me. It's way cheaper to just go to the grocery store.

    BTW: this site rocks... Great advice on here. Somebody on here put me in a place to catch penty of pink last year. Had a BLAST!

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    1,283

    Default

    Like LG said, if you can manage...wait till the end of August....Dolly fishing will be awesome still. Cohos will be in in good numbers.

    You just can't go wrong...

    Oh...and don't forget, this year is DIPAC's first return of Taku River broodstock Coho.....Should be significantly bigger from what they're saying....

  10. #10
    New member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by L. G. View Post
    Cohos are available around 4th of July, but I think you'd really need to be on a boat somewhere. Handtrollers Cove is a good bet. What do chums hit? Never caught one from shore in the salt. Chum Candy is a fly that they seem to hit. I recall being in Fritz Cove on the boat looking for kings late June. Was fishing a Hot Spot with a dark blue hootchy down pretty deep. Couldn't keep the brite dogs off the hook! They will hit a Flying C or Vibrax off the dock at DIPAC. I see a few catch 'em with fly swatters too. Too bad you could delay even a couple three more weeks! Mid to end of August is prime time.
    My dad and I caught a couple chums on some Pixie's, that was back in late June though. Had lots of hits, and a few un-intentional snags but they were biting on the Pixies anyway. We were fishing from shore, into the salt.

  11. #11

    Default Caught some on #3 Mepps

    Quote Originally Posted by KyleB View Post
    My dad and I caught a couple chums on some Pixie's, that was back in late June though. Had lots of hits, and a few un-intentional snags but they were biting on the Pixies anyway. We were fishing from shore, into the salt.
    Thanks for the info-I haven't caught any chum on pixies but I did get several on #3 Mepps at the mouth of Montana Creek last week. Now I understand what the big fuss is all about. I've caught king, pink, silver, and chum. For my money, I'd rather target silver then chum in that order. Chums are seriously fun to catch but I'd have to give the edge to the silvers. Last week was the first time I've ever caught silvers. I'm addicted now!
    "...it's called fishing... it's not called catching..."

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    AK
    Posts
    147

    Default

    Some people get gold fever, other people get silver fever. I know the feeling. In my own experience the silvers are the most aggressive of the pacific salmon, seems like we can get them to hit anything if they are around. Just gotta find the fish.

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    1,283

    Default

    Yeah....Silvers are fun...

    Nothin' like showing up at the dock with a bunch of 'Hos...




Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •