Thread: Juneau Chum (Dog) Salmon advice

Default Juneau Chum (Dog) Salmon advice

I will be fishing Juneau 29 July-7 August 2011. I'm really interested in catching some chum/dog salmon. Last summer, I saw them by the thousands... hundreds of thousands at amalga bay on the right side of the dock and on the back side of the peninsula to the right of the dock. Even made my way around to the waterfall on the right. Couldn't get the chum to even look at my baits. Tried Flying C, pink spoons, silver spoons, rooster tails, meps, and every bait I brought from the lower 48.
    I do know that the treble hook unbaited works-lol-cause I saw tons of locals using it at DIPAC. Like I've written before-I'm not a snagger and I'm not going to start. Would love any advice on the chum. I keep reading about how tuff they fight and I really want to find out for sure. Feel free to email me at chris.joyner30@yahoo.com if you don't want to broadcast your mojo secrets. Really would love to hear the advice!!

Quote Originally Posted by krustydklawn View Post
    Like I've written before-I'm not a snagger and I'm not going to start.
    Resistance is futile! The force of the Dark Side is immense!

Don't knock it 'till you've tried it. They will fight just as hard with a 10/0 treb in their side as with a hook in their mouth.

I think you really need to be using a fly swatter tho and I think you want to intercept them before they start milling at the mouth of their spawing area. They will start getting lock jaw then.

I think OneLung can give you a recco on flies, depth and retrieve speeds. The rocks at the Shrine of St. Therese is a good spot. Dock at DIPAC is another. Best thing about there is you might get a nice, big king as "incidental" bycatch.

I've done well on pink bunny leeches on a moderate sink tip over at Amalga. You have to fish the incoming tide. I've been there where I'm catching a fish every cast right up till high slack. As soon as the water turns, the fish stopped biting. Flies are really good for chums. As Onelung said in the Coho thread. Low and slow for chums.
    I'd agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong.

If you have a boat, you can catch them trolling. The powertrollers load up on them. Troll as slow as you possibly can.

That being said.. why would anybody intentionally sportfish for dogs?!! Yuck

You can buy or tie lead-head jigs if flyfishing isn't your thing. Pretty much the same, just bounce 'em in nice and slow. Sometimes white works really well for me, but pink and poofy is usually best. I've never had much luck with spinners or spoons for chum.

The Shrine can be pretty fun for chum and pinks on a low tide. I used to go there quite a bit.
    Nice Marmot.

Quote Originally Posted by 270ti View Post
    That being said.. why would anybody intentionally sportfish for dogs?!! Yuck
    Cause I've never caught one. Nearly tore me out of the frame last year seeing so many huge fish just feet from me and I couldn't talk em in to bighting no matter what I did. It's so expensive to fly home with the fish, and my friend that lives in Juneau is only going to eat so much, so 1 king and a few days limit of pink maxed my luggage weight last year. That's all I really need for eating... The rest is just for fun.
    I was 100% sure I was going to die several times in Iraq and I've been divorced 2 times in the past 3 years. I'm all about experiencing life now that I'm medically retired from the Army. To be honest with you-fishing for any species in Alaska-is really what I live for. That and my faith. Except for running up with a brown bear, I'm all about experiencing Alaska. My favorite place on Earth. Any salmon on the end of my line is a prize that keeps me going all year to my next trip. Perhaps a brown bear will change my mind-but till then-I'm in search of all species of salmon in Alaska.

Thanks man-I have a fly tie kit that I use every now and again to fix banged up baits. I have probably 100 lead-head jigs in my 20 or so tackle boxes. I'll work them up. Thank you my friend!