Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bear hunting prep

Default Bear hunting prep

So I have been searching everywhere on line for DIY bear scent/attractant. Thanks to think forum, I found one. The crisco candles. I am going to try to make them and hopefully I can get that big 'ol boy come in. Second is a bear lollipop. I was looking for a way to make a scent ball and came across it. It seems way easy and pretty inexspensive. I make going to make both soon and will make sure I post the pics. If anyone has anything else they make please let us no. Once I make the lollipops, I will post how I made them. You can pm me and I'll send you the link if you would like. I cant wait till April!
    Hunt until you don't like it any more

check out baitem 907 products
    Do I give my friends advice? Jesus, no. They wouldn't take advice from me. Nobody should take advice from me. I haven't got a clue about anything..

IMO the candles have not been a big success among fellow baiters.

Baitem 907 has everything you need.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Sented candle are really worth the time if you ask me. I used to honey and the burn that. Until this last year i found baitem 907 stuff now I use her attitude adjustment formula works great. I pretty much use everything she sells.
    Do I give my friends advice? Jesus, no. They wouldn't take advice from me. Nobody should take advice from me. I haven't got a clue about anything..

Quote Originally Posted by akmike30 View Post
    Sented candle are really worth the time if you ask me. I used to honey and the burn that. Until this last year i found baitem 907 stuff now I use her attitude adjustment formula works great. I pretty much use everything she sells.
    Baitem 907 the only way to go Jess is good people she will do you right

I was looking for a way to make scents with out having to spent a lot of money. Bait 'em looks like a great product, and looks like it does the job, but I have a tough time spending the money if I can do it my self. If I could find a way to make a scent ball like theres, I would. I am not trying to be disrespectful toward there product, I am sure it is great, I just know I can make stuff for less money. If it works then I am doing something right.

I understand the money and I'm a do it yourself guy too.

If you find how to make bait balls let me know I would still get items from baitem but it would be cool to do with my son

jcorwin.....in your original post, you mentioned.....
    "I cant wait till April!" (for baiting)
    ...in my very limited experiences with baiting black bears......your first hits will be in mid May, early June activity heats up.
    ...in my more extensive experiences with spot & stalk southcentral black bears...my first sighting of a sleepy bear is always the first weekend in May.
    ...or I could be wrong....
    dennis

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaTrueAdventure View Post
    jcorwin.....in your original post, you mentioned.....
    "I cant wait till April!" (for baiting)
    ...in my very limited experiences with baiting black bears......your first hits will be in mid May, early June activity heats up.
    ...in my more extensive experiences with spot & stalk southcentral black bears...my first sighting of a sleepy bear is always the first weekend in May.
    ...or I could be wrong....
    dennis
    You are right, that's when it heats up. Baiting starts April 15. That's why I'm excited. I always try and put my bait out around the middle of April beginning of may. I will put out bait this year in April, and see of these new things I'm doing is gonna make a difference.

jcorwin...sounds like great spring time fun...Be selective....dennis

My first picture was May 18. A buddy of mine about 5 miles away got a picture on May 1. However, every year is different. I get my stuff in pretty early just for something to do.

Taylor

Quote Originally Posted by skybust View Post
    If you find how to make bait balls let me know I would still get items from baitem but it would be cool to do with my son
    Check your PM's
    "He should have been packing a more powerful gun...you have to be a very good shot or very lucky to stop a brown bear with a .357 Magnum." - Rick Sinnott, Alaska Department of Fish and Game biologist after a double attack by a grizzly.

So now I am taking 2 guys that have never bear hunted, baiting with me this year. I am excited to "show them the ropes" but a little nervus that they shot a bear and I won't. I am keeping my bear lollipops to myself, but will aide them any way possible

Quote Originally Posted by jcorwin4278 View Post
    I was looking for a way to make scents with out having to spent a lot of money. Bait 'em looks like a great product, and looks like it does the job, but I have a tough time spending the money if I can do it my self. If I could find a way to make a scent ball like theres, I would. I am not trying to be disrespectful toward there product, I am sure it is great, I just know I can make stuff for less money. If it works then I am doing something right.
    Not to take a contrary position or come off as aggressive, but it takes more than just mixing a few materials to make most, if not all, of Jess's products. Not only that, but quite often, DIY projects end up costing much more if you consider your invested time, product and material cost, related shipping charges, time spent researching, trial and error, etc. Another item to consider is the knowledge (or lack there-of) of the dangers of the required cooking and science behind the mixture (fumes, chemical reactions, fires, etc.) Bait'em 907's products are much stronger than a home-brew diluted artificial extract.

But, let's say I'm wrong. If you get lucky and find small quantities of product to buy on the cheap, don't blow yourself up or find yourself in police custody for the cooking process (espeically if you live in the valley) and make something close, I doubt it will end up having the same attractant strength or last as long. Case in point.. a friend tried to make a bear ball last year after I sent him one I got from Jess for his stand. He spent more than it would have been to buy one and after a week of rain his 'proven' mixture fell apart and melted. His second attempt lasted slightly longer, but failed in comparison to what I sent him and didn't put off much, if any, scent. I'm a do-it-yourself kind-of-guy but IMO when it comes to scents there is no comparison. If you buy and put one of Jess's bear balls up at a height browns can't get at and keep it away from nearby trees and cover it with a little plastic, it should last you the entire season if not longer. I picked up three last year from Jess and they are worth their money. Remember, there is a difference between 'something that works' and a commercial scent which IMO is the most potent and strongest scent available.

One last thing.. Bait'em 907 donates a tremendous amount to hunters and organizations who support hunting which is another reason why I support them. My/your/our purchase not only supports Alaska's small business community, it supports the Paralyzed Veterans Association and other worthy organizations around Alaska. Look at Bait'em 907's website for more information - you won't find that at Sportsman's Warehouse or from some online business. If it weren't for Jess's community outreach due to her sales, a number of organizations would receive less, if not all, available product and donations.

Products made by Alaskan hunters, for Alaskan hunters who also donate to the community and are 'good people' with great customer service... just a few reasons I give Bait'em 907 two thumbs up!

Just my $0.02 - good luck if you still decide to attempt to make your own.
    "He should have been packing a more powerful gun...you have to be a very good shot or very lucky to stop a brown bear with a .357 Magnum." - Rick Sinnott, Alaska Department of Fish and Game biologist after a double attack by a grizzly.

Let us know how things work out for you jcorwin. I would like to set up a station in the future, and would love to hear what works for you and what doesn't. Any pics of candles or balls you make would be great, too.
    I am a do it yourselfer too, so I understand the desire to do something on your own if it can be done. I'm sure you can find inexpensive filler to supplement your candles, scent balls, etc. Keep your eye's peeled for cheap marshmallows, dog food, and sweets. I have also heard of people soliciting local restaurants for their used cooking oil. I'm sure some would be glad to help a friendly local hunter.
    Good luck!

Outdoorsman, first I want to say thanks for doing the Alaskan small business and the hunter way of life a good thing. That being said, I dont expect to duplicate what they make or how they it. I am going to make a bear lollipop. I couldn't figure out how to make the scent balls they sell. This is a experiment and I am unsure if it will work. I have read other posts about the lollipops and they give a success story when it's done. If it doesn't work, I will have lost very little money, time spent with my wife, and the experience of trying. That's how people learn what works and what doesn't. If it doesn't work then Jess will be getting a call . So like I said, I will give it the 'ol college try and see if it'll work. If not move on.

I appreciate your enthusiam and originallity, but I don't think bears will lick a lollipop. It's a neat idea, but I think a bear would devour it after a couple "licks".
    I used a crisco candle last year and had really good results, but the only drawback was I couldn't leave it lit after I left. I will probably end up getting a scent ball specifically to keep them around when I am not there to provide bait every day.
    Good luck to you.

If you're up for a DIY project please be very cautious of FLASH POINTS on labels. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethanol

Skybust, Please keep yourself and son away from the melting pot. The flash point can happen in an instant. I would hate to see something happen to either one of you.

Be very careful doing this indoors as it can cause a house fire in an instant. Outdoors on a huge open flame is only inviting a faster response, because the alcohol(scent) mixes with the oxygen and ignites from the large open flame.
    I just don't want to see ANYONE get hurt.
    Please be careful
    This picture resembles what a flash point fire looks like.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Jess
    Bait Em 907
    Bear Bait & Moose Lure Company
    www.baitem907.com
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Bait-E...56572604387163

Thanks for you concern. The recipe I have found calls for sugar and jello. My wife says it's pretty much a giant piece of candy. It should be pretty easy. Anyway, if it works, great if not, no harm no foul. I am also going to make the candles if I can figure it out. I am excited to try it. I can't wait. I am trying to get others to buy Jess's product and see if it works (which by the way I am pretty sure they will). I am trying the DIY way first. I have had bears come in on just maple syrup. I am pretty sure it will work and it should be easy to make them come to the sweet smell of the lollipop. Pictures will lead us to the product and hopefully help everyone see what I am trying to do. Good luck to all.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast