Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: light weight overboot waders.

Default light weight overboot waders.

Last fall I bought a set of Wiggy's overboot waders for about $60. They lasted 4 days on kodiak crossing a river in the bottom of a valley before they started to leak. I was wary of the soles when I bought them but they were the best that I could find at the time. I found these tonight. Although the online add doesn't show the sole the catalog does show them. More expensive than Wiggy's but they have a solid boot type sole and should last longer. What's your opinion?

http://www.benmeadows.com/search/jb1-174533/33915902/

I'm not sure of the ones in the ad but I bought a friend a set of Wiggy's overboot waders. He used them on a drop off hunt and they did not survive the first use, a 3 yard walk in water from the float plane to the beach. No sharp rocks but it didn't matter.
    I bought a set at Mountain view sports last year, they have a regular sole and so far have worked great. Can't remember who made them tho.

Bill do you remember what they cost?

I've been using Neos River Trekkers for the last couple of years and they work well for stream crossings and so forth. I don't believe I would use them for standing in water for hours on end like fishing but for crossings I think their great.

I have used Neos River Trekkers (your link reference), Barney's Sourdough Slippers, as well as the Wiggy's overboot. The Wiggy's boot, though less expensive didn't last. They leaked the first time they were put to use. Mine also did not have a way to attach the overboot to your belt - just a cinch type string at the top of the wader which the river current attempted to pull them down.

The Neos River Trekker and Sourdough Slippers are the same from what I could tell. The Neos River Trekker seem to cost a little less than the Barney's Sourdough Slipper. Both overboots have worked well, but with age the one pair of Sourdough Slippers are starting to leak. I would go with either of these two overboots if you're doing short stream crossings - I would not attempt to walk any distance in them as I think the sole will attempt to separate from the legging portion (that is where one pair is leaking).

Default "Lightweight overboot waders"

1. Neos: People posting on these forums like the Neos: http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...highlight=neos and: http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...highlight=neos

2. Less weight: Neos favored, but definitions of "light weight" can differ. If you own any titanium utensils, the Neos weight (5 lbs?) might be an issue.

Cabela's Tundra Hip Boots: Here's an interesting option we saw another hunter wearing while waiting in Bettles, a boot with a built in, pull-up hip wader: http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/searc...h-All+Products. They were new and I did not get to ask him about the boots after his hunt.

Glacier Socks: Barney's Sports Chalet also carries a pair of polyurethane-coated nylon socks, meant to be worn under a pair of shoes. Mrs. Hodson told me that guys would just carry an old pair of sneakers to wear over them for stream crossings.

3. Minimal weight options; rubber bands or duct tape: good alternatives if only short, shallow crossings anticipated. Two interesting comments by Buck Nelson in his gear review (http://www.bucktrack.com/Alaska_Back...st_Review.html) were his raves on a brand of rain pants hardly ever mentioned on these forums (Red Ledge) and how he solved stream crossings with very lightweight gear - see "rubber bands". He does also explain somewhere that he anticipated only small, relatively shallow crossings. Wolfkiller (post#5) uses duct tape over his rain pants: http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...highlight=neos

Quote Originally Posted by 6XLeech View Post
    2. Less weight: Neos favored, but definitions of "light weight" can differ. If you own any titanium utensils, the Neos weight (5 lbs?) might be an issue.

Glacier Socks: Barney's Sports Chalet also carries a pair of polyurethane-coated nylon socks, meant to be worn under a pair of shoes. Mrs. Hodson told me that guys would just carry an old pair of sneakers to wear over them for stream crossings.
    I talked to another hunter who used the glacier socks... I think some of those and some type of shoe like crocs would be a really lightweight option and give you a set of camp shoes as well.

I also use the Neos with a long rain jacket and elminate rain pants so that helps alleviate a bit of the weight.

I think the Neos are great. I question that they actually weigh 5 lbs even though that's what the specs say. I probably wouldn't take them on a backpacking sheep hunt, but they are great to have around base camp especially if you are by a creek.

I have the Cabelas boot wader and took them to Kodiak this fall. They held up and were comfortable. Now I'll see how long they last. It was nice to walk around without a heavy Lacrosse boot. The wader part was light enough to not worry about pulling or rolling down while walking. So far so good. Someone might come up with a better mouse trap but these do work.

I bought a set of Wiggy's waders for a sheep hunt in the fall of 2008. I have used them on a sheep hunt in the Brooks range, two sheep hunts in the Eastern Alaskan Range, a goat hunt on the West side of Kodiak and a deer hunt on Montague Island. All with the same set of waders with no repairs. I am very careful about where I walk when I have them on. I put them on just before crossing water and take them off immediately after I'm done. My only complaint with them is I have long legs (I'm 6'1") and it is hard to get them secured to my belt to keep them up.

I was tempted to keep them at home on my last hunt and just bring a set of Teva sandals. I was thinking I could just roll up my pants and put the sandals on. They weight a little more than the waders (maybe 1 pound more), but then I would have something to wear around camp in the evening. In the end I went with the waders.

Also a friend of mine who is pretty crafty copied the design and made his own two years ago before our sheep hunt. He spent almost as much money as I did and his leaked on the 2nd or 3rd crossing we made.

If I ever decide to start using a double boot, I'll probably get the glacier socks from Barney's.

Default The Red Green way

Quote Originally Posted by 6XLeech View Post
    Wolfkiller (post#5) uses duct tape over his rain pants:
    I have duct taped my rain pants to my waterproof hiking boots to successfully cross very deep (too deep) water in my ATV without getting my socks wet. Works great, and of course stylish too.

For those that had the wiggys leak, how sever was the leak? Are we talking pin hole that got your pants a little wet or did the wader will with water and allow water to get over your boots?

So far mine has a hole that allows about 1/4" of water in the bottom of the wader while crossing a 25' wide stream that is about 20" deep at it's deepest point. Takes about a minute to cross with the flow speed.

Default what?

Quote Originally Posted by Casper50 View Post
    So far mine has a hole that allows about 1/4" of water in the bottom of the wader while crossing a 25' wide stream that is about 20" deep at it's deepest point. Takes about a minute to cross with the flow speed.
    Waaaaat wader willed wit wata weely wick.

I'll second the Neos. I also have the ones from Cabela's and they have lasted for about 8 years of duck hunting on the Stikine Flats. Jim

Quote Originally Posted by whitepalm View Post
    Yeah the wiggys dont hold up for nothing but they are light and seem to do well enough to get me through the hunt. When I get home I do necessary repairs. They are fast and easy and protect to upper thigh. I keep them strapped to the outside of my pack, easy on, easy off, give them a quick shake and we are moving on. I dont want to carry anything that weighs any more then they do. They are probably overpriced however for what you get.
    So you were able to fix those ones after the swamp run? Good to hear.

Being as I own the river Trekkers I can say I really like them for moose hunting as well as loading and unloading float planes. That said I would never backpack with them simply too heavy. White palm was kind enough to let me use his wiggy waders one our sheep hunt. We carried one pair between the two of us. One guy would cross then put them over the top of a trekking pole and spear them back across. I was impressed with them for sure. However I wouldn't bring crocs AND the waders. I like the wiggy waders cause the are fast on and off and dont require taking your boots on and off like you would if you brought some camp shoes.

I will be buying a pair of the wiggy waders myself I am sure at some point. But for now I will likely continue to use boots that fit well wet or dry and have some camp Booties like this to jump into every night to let my boots and feet dry out.

http://www.zappos.com/sierra-designs...n-bootie-black

Just finding boots and shoes that fit you well wet or dry and don't cause blisters is the fastest way to cross country. Wet boots isn't as scary as many make it out to be IME. Just having some booties with a sole to wear around in the evenings to let your feet breath works great plus the are comfy warm to sleep in too.

Last year I got two complaints on these waders. That was one more than I could stand, so I approached Wiggy about a more waterproof material that would hold up longer. The Cagoule (raingear) material in Marpat Camo everyone was thrilled with, so I went with that and had a prototype made.

Much better product and I just replaced my inventory with the new material. Matter of fact, Alaska_Lanch was in moments ago for one of the first pair. We agree that this material will be the answer.

So, if you've got a pair of the Lightweight Waders that you are not happy with return them to me and I'll give you a brand new set (new material) for HALF (not free, sorry) price. Sorry, I've sold hundreds of these waders and I truly cannot afford an all-out return as I've only had a handful of unhappy customers. Although, if you know me, that's too many already.

I got it taken care of. Very sorry for inconveniencing anyone.

Taylor

Convinced me!! I just called to order a pair of the NEW Wiggy's..........Thanks for the info in this thread.

Mike

As usual stand up service from Wiggys AK! I plan on picking a set up before my sheep hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Taylor View Post
    Last year I got two complaints on these waders. That was one more than I could stand, so I approached Wiggy about a more waterproof material that would hold up longer. The Cagoule (raingear) material in Marpat Camo everyone was thrilled with, so I went with that and had a prototype made.

Much better product and I just replaced my inventory with the new material. Matter of fact, Alaska_Lanch was in moments ago for one of the first pair. We agree that this material will be the answer.

So, if you've got a pair of the Lightweight Waders that you are not happy with return them to me and I'll give you a brand new set (new material) for HALF (not free, sorry) price. Sorry, I've sold hundreds of these waders and I truly cannot afford an all-out return as I've only had a handful of unhappy customers. Although, if you know me, that's too many already.

I got it taken care of. Very sorry for inconveniencing anyone.

Taylor
    I have a religious pair (holey ones)of Wiggy's waders that did not make one sheep hunt. They did last longer than my partners. I used gaiters to hold mine in place, this helped a lot. Tim's got sliced open on the first day and were useless, mine just got holes worn through the bottom, but would last long enough to get across before water got over my boot tops.

Marc, do you have any pics of the new ones???

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast