Thread: reels for salmon

Default reels for salmon

Hey guys I was hoping you could help me find a spinning reel for my Medium-heavy Ugly stik I will be using it for reds,silvers,pinks and other large fish like pike any info is greatly welcome.Thank you
    There's a fine line between fishing....

and standing on the shore like an idiot! ALLEN BRADLEY-TANGLE LAKES ADVOCATE/FANBOY

A 5000 or 6000 series reel would work well for this application. Plan on spending a little more for quality that will hold up to the wear and tear from constant use. Things to watch out for include a strong handle, ideally a through bolt type and a good drag. Some options include the Penn Sargus, the Pfleuger Trion or President, Shimanos Sedona and above. The internal gears will go quickly on your inexpensive reels as well.

Thank you I was thinking of looking at penn reels tomorrow at SW

and standing on the shore like an idiot! ALLEN BRADLEY-TANGLE LAKES ADVOCATE/FANBOY

I've been using a WaveSpin 5000 for silvers and kings for the last couple of years. They are an obsure brand but out perforn the Stratics I've used in the past that cost twice as much and have a butter smooth drag. Check them out at: http://www.wavespinreel.com/
    I'll hold on to my Bible & my Guns, you can keep the change!!!

man its weird to seeing almost everyone using spinning setups. here in the midwest everything is done with baitcasters. I used my Abu Garcia c4 last summer for silvers and pinks and it worked wonders. spinning i went with a BPS johnny morris

I've watched guys using bass type baitcasting setups on the kenai for reds & casting lures for silvers/pinks; looks like loads of fun as they seem to be able to cast effortlessly with a flick of the wrist easier than a spinning rod (I grew up on spinners).
    Anyway, it'd be good to get a reel that included an extra spool so you can load it with an alternate line and it'd be pretty quick to adjust on the spot.

"When in Rome" Low profile bait casters are the norm on most Salmon and Steelhead locals in Washington and Oregon. California has a mix, but still predominantly low profile baitcasters. The barrel baitcasters seem to be the standard in most areas for larger line (25# and up) throughout. Now, head into the New England states and you are back to predominantly spinning reels. The Salmon River in Pulaski New York for example...while fishing there one year for salmon using a low profile baitcaster, one guy joked "what are you Bass fishing?" my response of course was "you mean there is no bass in here??? When in Rome

For spinning reels Okuma has some sturdy reels that are not terribly expensive. they might match well with an ugly stick.

Quote Originally Posted by Stihl_header View Post
    For spinning reels Okuma has some sturdy reels that are not terribly expensive. they might match well with an ugly stick.
    thats good because i have around ten ugly stiks