Thread: 300 win to 375/416 ruger?

Default 300 win to 375/416 ruger?

I have beater Rem 700 in 300 win. I have 4 other .308 rifles besides this one, and one of them is an unfired 300 win. I really don't want or need it. So what to do?? Sell it for peanuts and buy another gun or use it as a donor action and build another gun.

I was thinking of making it into a 375 or 416 Ruger. What do you think? I was reading the recent post on the 358 Norma, and that has me intrigued as well. I don't really want a smaller bullet than a .308.

I am thinking of using it for bear hunts or dense cover moose hunting with a bear population. Maybe bring it down to Oregon and let 'er rip on an elk. Give the .270 toting folks something to think about.

Honestly for a dangerous game rifle I would prefer a rifle with a better extractor/extraction system than the remington. The trigger and safety mechanism also aren't as beefy as desired for mean animals.
    I'm not knocking Remingtons, heck I owm 14; but none are carried into the woods after dangerous animals. I do use them however stand hunting for black bears and wild hogs.
    To this end I would work a trade for a Ruger Hawkeye in your chosen caliber or find a nice commercial mauser to build your dream rifle on. These both contain many desireable features, you will realize why the military choose the mauser in 1893 and nearly every nation on earth has used it as a main battle rifle since.

Beast of luck !!
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

That 300 winnie would be a good donor for a 350 rem mag. Normally they are built on a short action in a Remington but with that long action yo could seat the bullets out further and really get a hold of its true potential. The 358 Norma is pretty cool to though, mine is built off of a rem 700 that started life out as a 7mm mag. Good luck with whatever you decide.
    LIVE TO HUNT....HUNT TO LIVE!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Daved View Post
    I have beater Rem 700 in 300 win. I have 4 other .308 rifles besides this one, and one of them is an unfired 300 win. I really don't want or need it. So what to do?? Sell it for peanuts and buy another gun or use it as a donor action and build another gun.

I was thinking of making it into a 375 or 416 Ruger. What do you think? I was reading the recent post on the 358 Norma, and that has me intrigued as well. I don't really want a smaller bullet than a .308.
    The advantages fo the 375 Ruger case is OAL length. Your 700 is a long action so a 375 H&H or 416 RM is probably an easier build. Nothing wrong with the 375/416 Ruger, but action rails and follower would likely need adjustment for the conversion. A traditional long magnum would likely be only a new barrel.
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.