Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Having Fun Out Getting Wood

Default Having Fun Out Getting Wood

Went out waay above Bethel today for some wood for the maqi. Found a good, standing dead tree in an area of poor growth, making this one very old. The rings were barely visible when I eye-balled the 18" base. I was going to get a couple more but it was getting late. I found this place yesterday when it was -22* F outside. I love it when it is cold. I never see anyone. But then, that's why I like living here. Didn't see anyone on this trip too.
    For you guys with the fancy very high-dollar me-gotta-have-it-too plastic sleds, check out my very fancy $200 sled. I have had it three deep with logs before. It's 12-feet long, and the runners are 3" wide. I'd prefer 4", but this is all that was available at the time. You can't see it, but the hitch is made so the drawbar pulls against a shock absorber off a Polaris XLT with the Xtra-12 suspension. I chose that one as it had 8.9" of straight-line compression available. The 80#/inch spring is kinda weak, so I'm checking eBay for a 100#/inch spring.
    Set-up is 2007 BearCat 570 fan-cooled. Those bulldozer Bearcats would never make it back into the trees like this one can. In order to get the tree, I first have to locate one, then walk back through the trees to map a path for the snogo, then I drive over the path I've made a couple times to compact the snow, then go in with the sled. On this trip I was scraping the sides of the sled (42"), on the trees. Very tight quarters. But I made it, getting stuck only once. That's when the rope come-a-long makes its appearance. All I need is a tree to act as anchor and pull myself out of the hole. This time it was the sled that got stuck, went down into a lower area and didn't apply first rule of wood-getting: GO FAST!
    Saws I use are Husky 394 and 3120.
    Quiq River Jan 18-11.jpg
    Amazing, the sizing program on this site really makes them small. This is a 429k file, it was sized down to 29k! You can't see very much, but better than nothing I guess.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Nitroman, How about posting some good close up shots of that hitch set up. Sounds like you had a good time with the wood.

Quote Originally Posted by Nitroman View Post
    Went out waay above Bethel today for some wood for the maqi. Found a good, standing dead tree in an area of poor growth, making this one very old. The rings were barely visible when I eye-balled the 18" base. I was going to get a couple more but it was getting late. I found this place yesterday when it was -22* F outside. I love it when it is cold. I never see anyone. But then, that's why I like living here. Didn't see anyone on this trip too.
    For you guys with the fancy very high-dollar me-gotta-have-it-too plastic sleds, check out my very fancy $200 sled. I have had it three deep with logs before. It's 12-feet long, and the runners are 3" wide. I'd prefer 4", but this is all that was available at the time. You can't see it, but the hitch is made so the drawbar pulls against a shock absorber off a Polaris XLT with the Xtra-12 suspension. I chose that one as it had 8.9" of straight-line compression available. The 80#/inch spring is kinda weak, so I'm checking eBay for a 100#/inch spring.
    Set-up is 2007 BearCat 570 fan-cooled. Those bulldozer Bearcats would never make it back into the trees like this one can. In order to get the tree, I first have to locate one, then walk back through the trees to map a path for the snogo, then I drive over the path I've made a couple times to compact the snow, then go in with the sled. On this trip I was scraping the sides of the sled (42"), on the trees. Very tight quarters. But I made it, getting stuck only once. That's when the rope come-a-long makes its appearance. All I need is a tree to act as anchor and pull myself out of the hole. This time it was the sled that got stuck, went down into a lower area and didn't apply first rule of wood-getting: GO FAST!
    Saws I use are Husky 394 and 3120.
    Quiq River Jan 18-11.jpg
    Amazing, the sizing program on this site really makes them small. This is a 429k file, it was sized down to 29k! You can't see very much, but better than nothing I guess.
    That reminds me of old times out in Bristol Bay. Now I have it easy: I walk 50 feet off the road and fall beetle-kill, buck it up and fill up my pick-em-up. Kinda miss the snowgo wood hauls though.

Flatsled 3.jpg Nitroman, here is a sled I built for hauling maqi wood. It is 10ft long, 36in wide, 9.5in high. Used 2"x6"s to make the runners. I like your idea for a 4" runner. Nothing like a sled load of dry black spruce logs hitched up to the back of a snowmachine. For a lot of us out here that is "living the good life". Would be cool to see your sled hitch, sounds like a good one.

For us southern folk, what is a maqi?
    I'd agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong.

Me Too, what is a Maqi ???

Nitroman, that is some serious logging going on, Cool Pic, show us more,

Looks like a Real day, Living Great,

PS if you can take the time to get started with Photobucket, you'll really like it, very easy, makes huge pics or you can size them anyway you want for detail pics etc of rigging, it is THE way to go.

Brian M did a detailed thread in Forum Tips I think, on Posting Pictures, easy to figure out, check it out

I'd love to see more of your stuff on life up there,
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

Lets see some close-ups of the hitch please.
    BK

Quote Originally Posted by kodiakrain View Post
    Me Too, what is a Maqi ???

Nitroman, that is some serious logging going on, Cool Pic, show us more,

Looks like a Real day, Living Great,

PS if you can take the time to get started with Photobucket, you'll really like it, very easy, makes huge pics or you can size them anyway you want for detail pics etc of rigging, it is THE way to go.

Brian M did a detailed thread in Forum Tips I think, on Posting Pictures, easy to figure out, check it out

I'd love to see more of your stuff on life up there,
    You know it as a banya. Same thing.

Ok, put the pix up on Hunt101.com and the BIG pic is 1600x1400!! You'd need a 24" monitor to see it. So I scaled back:

Here is a photo of the sled hitch:

You can see the two arms of the hitch come up from the sled and are welded to the tube on which is mounted the shock. The drawbar floats inside the tube. The other end of the shock is mounteed to a short piece of tube maybe three inches long. The end of the drawbar terminates with a large washer securely welded on.
    When you have your welder set this up you must make sure of your measurements. I cut off the rubber snubber that comes on the shock for another 3/4" of travel, but the idea is to have about 1/4" of travel left when fully compressed. If you tow a load, and suddenly compress the shock against the internals = bad. So measure carefully so that you come up against the drawbar stop (washer), and can still see a little chrome on the shock-rod. You are good to go.
    The best thing about this set-up is the sled is never "hunting" back and forth as they do with just a spring, which will wear out your clutch real quick. And unlike a solid mount, this doesn't shock-load the drive train on the snogo. Most of the time, you'll never even know you are pulling a sled behind you.
    The steel is one-inch (1"), diameter solid bar.
    Polaris part number for the shock is 7041385. This is the longest shock used on Polaris, and came on several different machines: XLT, RXL (anyone remember those?), and Indy 500. Make sure you ask for the part number to be sure. I just checked eBay and there are lots posted from $25.00 and up.

A maqi is Yup'ik for steambath, and a maqi'viik is "the" steambath.

Here is a better pic of the hitch:
    I will measure the pertinent stuff for you guys once I get the load off.
    Last edited by AKmud; 01-20-2011 at 07:56.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Nice Job on the pics, Thanks,

and all that detail, Excellent post
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

Quote Originally Posted by Nukalpiaq View Post
    Flatsled 3.jpg Nitroman, here is a sled I built for hauling maqi wood. It is 10ft long, 36in wide, 9.5in high. Used 2"x6"s to make the runners. I like your idea for a 4" runner. Nothing like a sled load of dry black spruce logs hitched up to the back of a snowmachine. For a lot of us out here that is "living the good life". Would be cool to see your sled hitch, sounds like a good one.
    These designs are bomb-proof! Carry huge loads year-after-year, be flexible over the terrain, and slide easily. There are a few places on the internet you can order 4" wide by 1/2" thick UHMW runners any-length-you want for reasonable. The outfit in Palmer or Fairbanks is pricey, but will ship the next day from the day you order. Also, I found out the hard way that it is best to glue 3/8" or even 1/2" plywood to the sides of the 2x6 as a reinforcement to keep them from breaking. I was coming back from Kwethluk drove onto the main trail of the Y coming from Akiachak and of course the sled swung out to the right, hitting a chunk of ice frozen into the trail. It instantly (I had a big load of wood), broke off the last four feet of my right 2x6. No way to repair it, I just slowly cruised all the way back to Napakiak praying the whole side wouldn't collapse.

P.S. Use Titebond III Ultimate Wood Glue. Everything else (and I've used them all), will fail, even the Gorilla Polyurethane glue.

Nice Job on the pics, Thanks,

and all that detail, Excellent post
    Thank you. I should add the short piece of tube is also floating on the drawbar so your snogo and sled can move around independently of one another and not stress the shock.

Is it attached to the machine with a pental type of hitch?

Nice hitch set up Here,s link on some of the ways they built those style sleds.
    http://www.dootalk.com/forums/index....ic=303314&st=0

My heavy load sled uses a hydraulic steering damper in a similar setup. The springs are on my bolt and the damper slows things down. It's served me well for a long time. My favorite sled these days uses a yoke that eliminates the need for a dampener. The yoke serves as a sled brake, too. I've always enjoyed building freight sleds. Thanks for sharing pics of yours.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by sayak View Post
    You know it as a banya. Same thing.
    I think "banya" is a Russian word which most people don't know....

Quote Originally Posted by akav8r View Post
    I think "banya" is a Russian word which most people don't know....
    Unless you happen to be from Kodiak/Lower Cook Inlet/PW Sound (like Kodiakrain is).

Banya, bania, banja. Google it. There's a lot of info.

Quote Originally Posted by sayak View Post
    Unless you happen to be from Kodiak/Lower Cook Inlet/PW Sound (like Kodiakrain is).
    That's funny, I'm from Finnish heritage, yet, down here on Kodiak,
    I can hardly believe, nobody seems to know what a Sauna is,....

they're ALL Banyas,........
    (and I had never even heard of a Maqi before, hmmmm ?)

It's bad too, like if I mention Sauna in conversation, I'll get corrected, "You mean Banya, right?"

So, I'm curious now as an avid Sauna guy, is there anything different about the Maqi tradition?
    How, it's done ?

That's funny, I'm from Finnish heritage, yet, down here on Kodiak,
    I can hardly believe, nobody seems to know what a Sauna is,....

they're ALL Banyas,........
    (and I had never even heard of a Maqi before, hmmmm ?)

It's bad too, like if I mention Sauna in conversation, I'll get corrected, "You mean Banya, right?"

So, I'm curious now as an avid Sauna guy, is there anything different about the Maqi tradition?
    How, it's done ?
    Yeah, and the story behind that is that, even though "banya" is of Russian derivation, it was the Finns working for the Ruskies that brought the concept to Alaska. Native people already had larger versions for the men (kasgiq), but adapted the smaller size for smaller groups.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast