Thread: Load Data Question

Default Load Data Question

First of all I am planning to reload ammo for my 44 mags. Mainly practice ammo and eventually I would like to load some 300 grain cast bullets with H110 for bear protection. Right now I have two boxes of 44 mag bullets, the first being Sierra 240 gr JHP and Speer 300 gr JSP. For practice ammo I would like to try the new Trailboss powder, but I cannot find any load data with this powder and these specific bullets. I know this is a big deal with rifles but can I take the trailboss handgun load data with a 240gr. lswc and use that data with my Seirra 240 gr JHP? Or should I buy exactly what is listed in the data when using trailboss powder? I am also considering Hodgdon Universal.

If I cannot use the Seirra 240 gr JHP in place of the LSWC's please explain why.

I went to the Hodgdon site and selected Trail Boss for the 44 Mag and got the following. Not sure how well the copy/paste is going to do for keeping it organized, but here's a summary:

Looks like TB loads are kinda mid-range in terms of both velocity and pressure, so you aren't likely to get in trouble using the Sierra 240, even if their data were developed using cast bullets. Note however that there is no data listed for your 300 grain Speer.

I've not used TB, but I understand that it was developed for the kinds of velocities used in cowboy action, all with lead bullets. Deciding to use TB without a better source of info seems kinda arbitrary to me, and in your shoes I'd look into the Sierra manual for their bullets and the Speer manual for theirs.

My favorite powder for moderate practice loads is Unique. I use it for both jacketed and cast, though I don't usually use jacketed for my practice rounds because they are so much more expensive than cast.

As I guessed the chart didn't come out clear enough to decipher, so I deleted it.
    Last edited by BrownBear; 02-22-2007 at 14:55. Reason: chart didn't print worth a hoot

I'd simply stick with unique for practice loads. Yes it's been around for about 100 years, maybe more, but it is an outstanding powder for milder revolver and rifle loads. I've used it in the 357 mag, 44 mag, 480, 35 whelen and even the 500 Jeffrey.

Not saying the newer powders won't work well, but therre is so much data for unique, and it produces so many accurate loads, I see little need to change. My most accurate 480 load is with unique, and it put 3 shots into a 1 1/2" wide 1/2" high horizontal group, at 100 yds.

Quote Originally Posted by Water_Gremlin View Post
    First of all I am planning to reload ammo for my 44 mags. Mainly practice ammo and eventually I would like to load some 300 grain cast bullets with H110 for bear protection. Right now I have two boxes of 44 mag bullets, the first being Sierra 240 gr JHP and Speer 300 gr JSP. For practice ammo I would like to try the new Trailboss powder, but I cannot find any load data with this powder and these specific bullets. I know this is a big deal with rifles but can I take the trailboss handgun load data with a 240gr. lswc and use that data with my Seirra 240 gr JHP? Or should I buy exactly what is listed in the data when using trailboss powder? I am also considering Hodgdon Universal.

If I cannot use the Seirra 240 gr JHP in place of the LSWC's please explain why.

email Sierra. They will email you a pdf with load data. I just got one today for 8mm 220 gr GameKings. Plus I gave her some specifics and they are working up and mailing me ballistic info for my 325.

carroll@sierrabullets.com

Carroll Pilant
    Media Relations Manager
    Sierra Bullets
    1400 W. Henry St.
    Sedalia, MO 65301
    Phone: 888-223-3006

Default 44 loads

use the TB for the 240gr and the H110 for the 300's. I shoot the 320 LBT bullet over 22gr of H110. It's a handfull and I wouldn't feed my gun a steady diet of them. I have found that if you go to the bullet manufacturer they will often times give you reloading data that's not currently in the manuals.
    Hope this helps.
    Good luck.
    RIDE TALL, SHOOT STRAIGHT AND ALWAYS TELL THE TRUTH