Thread: bait set up for lakers?

Default bait set up for lakers?

Does anyone jig with whole whitefish, herring, or other small fish? I have some small herring i would like to try this weekend for lakers, but i cant figure out how i would rig them. I would use jigheads, but i cant get any in time. Any suggestions?

mooching rig just like for salmon.....4/0 and 5/0 hooks....with 15 or 25 lb leader.....thread the top hook thru the head, and the bottom hook all the thru the side just under the dorsal fin until its all the way out the other side just hangin.....you can either just let it sit on bottom or jig it slowly with little twitches to imitate a wounded whitefish... get the green label (medium) herring. red label is too small IMO.....youd probly do better to jig big hardware or soft plastics like a white tube jig...herrings a good bait for burbot but i never had much luck with em for lakers.

Good Luck!
    Jake

Release Lake Trout

If you are in a 1 per day area, be ready to leave after the first fish. They tend to swallow them hard. A small chunk on hardware will work and they rarely take a spoon or jig very deep.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    Bill Hicks

hehe Mike waitll you see what I picked up at BJ's today, youll either laugh at me and call me an idiot or youll be jealous cuz you dont have one ... also picked up a big "wobble" spoon in a new color pattern at sportsmans , mite be productive. Your right about BJ's they are low on stock.

Release Lake Trout

have you ever heard of a bobbing beetle. I made a few of my own. They work great for bait sets. Check out outdoorallure.com. Hope that helped