Thread: Winter Kayak Fishing in SC Alaska?

Default Winter Kayak Fishing in SC Alaska?

Does anyone do it out of Whittier, Seward, or Homer? I've heard of it being done in South east Alaska.

Wondering how do-able it is with a good drysuit and if you got out there, would you catch anything?

Hey Kardinal84. Do you kayak fish? I'm new to the website and area, but not to kayak fishing (though not in these waters). I'm pretty passionate about it, but tough staying that way when it seems like you happen to be the only one who is and you just happen to be in the largest state in the country! Get back to me sometime...

I would be interested in trying it out if there is anything to catch. It would be great to extend the paddling season a little bit and catch some fish at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by EglinRed View Post
    Hey Kardinal84. Do you kayak fish? I'm new to the website and area, but not to kayak fishing (though not in these waters). I'm pretty passionate about it, but tough staying that way when it seems like you happen to be the only one who is and you just happen to be in the largest state in the country! Get back to me sometime...
    I thought maybe I was just nuts thinking about fishing in the winter since this post had gone so long without an answer. But yeah, I am getting into it as much as I can.

I only have a malibu mini-x so it takes twice the effort of a touring kayak to go anywhere but it is stable. Still I have flipped it so I am investing in a drysuit this year. Though I am sure it works GREAT on lakes, my goal is to fish the saltwater. I started in Washington a few years back fishing the jetties. Here I have only really tried it in Whittier. My goal is to hitch a ride farther out of Whittier or Seward and fish salmon and bottom fish.

Once I got comfortable, I think another do-able adventure would be to launch off the beach near Deep Creek and try for Kings and Chicken halibut. That might be best with a support boat since the inlet runs faster than most rivers.

I used to fish a lot more. I am trying to get back into it. Bored with the old stuff so trying things like fly fishing and kayak fishing.

Have you seen the this video? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vLe77liVE-U

How could you not want to do that! lol.