Thread: Pre-Deployment Fishing Trip - Need Help/Direction

Default Pre-Deployment Fishing Trip - Need Help/Direction

I am trying to plan a pre-deployment get together with a group of leaders from our company (FT. RICH), total will be about 10 guys. I am looking to see if there are any charters that could take us out 15-18APRIL, 7MAY, 10-12JUNE, 25-28JUNE, 1-13JULY, and 1-5SEPTEMBER. And no, I am NOT looking for all these dates to fish, these are simply the open dates that we have available from now until deployment. As far as payment is concerned, I am sure I get do a fundraiser or two through our FRG (Family Readiness Group) and possibly have the guys pitch in a bit in order to provide this outing for our leaders. That being said, I do not foresee us being able to afford an outrageous price and would love to get as much of a discounted price as possible. We are a good group of guys, I would just like to see us get some good "male bonding" time in pre-deployment.

If anyone here can help out with my plan, or atleast send us in the direction of a good charter that could accommodate our group size and low-end price range with a good fishing trip would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for the help!!

Quote Originally Posted by OutdoorGuy View Post
    I am trying to plan a pre-deployment get together with a group of leaders from our company (FT. RICH), total will be about 10 guys. I am looking to see if there are any charters that could take us out 15-18APRIL, 7MAY, 10-12JUNE, 25-28JUNE, 1-13JULY, and 1-5SEPTEMBER. And no, I am NOT looking for all these dates to fish, these are simply the open dates that we have available from now until deployment. As far as payment is concerned, I am sure I get do a fundraiser or two through our FRG (Family Readiness Group) and possibly have the guys pitch in a bit in order to provide this outing for our leaders. That being said, I do not foresee us being able to afford an outrageous price and would love to get as much of a discounted price as possible. We are a good group of guys, I would just like to see us get some good "male bonding" time in pre-deployment.

If anyone here can help out with my plan, or atleast send us in the direction of a good charter that could accommodate our group size and low-end price range with a good fishing trip would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for the help!!
    Where do you want to fish? And what do you want to fish for? All of those dates could include a number of different species, so it kind of depends on where you want to fish out of and what you want to fish for.
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com

Well as far as what we fish for, we are looking for Halibut mainly and any species of Salmon. I am new to AK and not sure on the most "exciting" species to fish for, however I do know that Halibut will be a species we are looking for. Also as for where we would like to fish out of, one of our leaders is leaning towards a charter out of Whittier? I think that anything within a short (2hr) drive of Anchorage would be suitable. We are looking to make the entire trip a one day adventure. Envolving waking up early enough to drive to the boat, fishing for the day, and driving back home afterwards.

P.S. Homer might be do-able, but only if the price of the charter was low enough that we could afford the hotel room to go along with a 4-5 hour drive.

Well, depending on the time I would highly recommend either Seward (a pretty easy day trip from Anchorage), or Homer with an overnight stay. There are plenty of places a bunch of military buds could stay in and have a pretty good time. Sure it adds a little to the cost, but it also adds to the fun of the whole trip. Why push it for just a one day trip?

Homer is going to get you halibut as well as kings in April, May or June, and then when you get into July you're going to find masses of silvers out of Seward. So it kind of depends on what you're looking for, as I said.

If you're interested in Seward I'd contact AKCAPT. I'm sure he could either accommodate you or at least help you find what you need. If you want to come to Homer, PM me and I'd be happy to give you some suggestions. People are going to get all up in arms about me saying this because they probably think I'm trying to promote myself, but, for one, I don't know if I'll even be able to fish for halibut this summer, and I only can take 4, or 5 at the most, on my boat, so I'm not looking to take 10 people. But I know charter operators that can do that and I'd be happy to help you out there.

Do you know about the Seward Military Resort? Get on it! It's a great place to stay with great facilities for putting up fish, etc.

I believe you can go out in Seward on the Base Boats for a decent price (I believe they still run them). Contact the Seward Military Resort and they can set you up along with room reservations for a decent price at a very nice place.....

I was not aware there was a Seward Military Resort.. Thanks for the info guys!

As much as I love boating out of Whittier, I'd say for a day fishing trip Seward wins hands down. Whittier really doesn't have a benefit for a day trip because the time you spend dinking around witht the tunnel and parking could be spent driving to Seward. And to get into good catchable fish from Whittier is a long boat ride. With Seward from mid july on you can catch salmon at the mouth of the bay, as well as halibut further out.

As far as catching fish, hands down the silver/coho on a salmon rod is 1000 times more fun than pulling up a halibut and several pounds of lead on a tuna stick, though many charters are going to lighter jigging rods for halibut.

OutdoorGuy,

If any of you have some boating knowledge, I would suggest checking with Outdoor Rec on Ft. Rich. They rent boats, I don't remember what they're prices are, but splitting the cost shouldn't be that expensive.

Combatfishing.org (http://combatfishing.org/) puts on an Annual fishing Tournament in Seward. They haven't put out the date yet for this year's event, but can probably give you some info on which charter to take. I missed it by 1 week last year coming back from Afghanistan

Also, I agree with Paul about going to Seward. You'll either spend more time on the boat to get to the fish out of Whittier, or spend more time in the car to get to Seward, but I think your chances of catching fish are better in Seward

Great info guys, appreciate the help! I will definitely be looking out of Seward then.. How is the fishing from Seward mid-end june? What could I expect to catch around that time frame?

Paul, you were saying mid-july on for Silvers.. How long does that run last? Would the Silvers still be in the first week of September?

Mid to end of June will be halibut and rockfish, there might be some early returning coho, but I wouldn't count on it. I believe some charters will head out to Montague for king salmon, but I'm not sure the timing of the run.

Lingcod season doesn't start until July 1. If you plan on using a military boat and going out on your own, make sure you thoroughly understand the fish limits inside and outside the bay, and how if you are over 3/person of salmon inside the bay, you can't fish outside of the bay, and if you've kept a lingcod outside of the bay, you can't fish inside the bay on the return trip. It's the most convaluted/confusing fishery in the state, and the State troopers are actively out inside and outside of the bay checking on peoples limits. Being unfamiliar won't cut you any slack, so make sure you thoroughly understand and follow the regs. Limits are different in different bodies of water, your limits in PWS, Reserection Bay and Homer and slightly different, and there can be emergency changes to increase or decrease limits.

Yes mid-july to through august for silvers. I've never fished for silvers in early September, but I believe there still should be fish in the bay, and they'll be at the head of the bay so you won't have to head out so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
    Yes mid-july to through august for silvers. I've never fished for silvers in early September, but I believe there still should be fish in the bay, and they'll be at the head of the bay so you won't have to head out so far.
    If you're looking to catch a lot of silvers I would NOT count on it in late Aug and into Sept. Some years they are nearly nonexistent by Sept. I'd shoot for the first of July so you can get those early schoolers and also the beginning of lings.

A 22' Aurora is pretty cheap to rent on post. I'd take it out of Seward (or Whittier, or Homer, or all) in Jul/Aug... in fact I'll probably be competing with you to rent one of these boats.

Im out of Seward and can help you out if the days are right. Check the take a soldier fishing thread you posted. I have been helping you guys get on the water for a few years.

Quote Originally Posted by OutdoorGuy View Post
    I was not aware there was a Seward Military Resort.. Thanks for the info guys!
    Don't know if this ph nr is good anymore... The USAF rec camp is 552-5526 I don't seem to have the Army's number anymore

I tried to send a PM, but you're profile doesn't allow them. I know of a cheap, consistent halibut operator in Homer if you're interested.