Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 20A antlerless hunt

Default 20A antlerless hunt

Well it all started with a phone call from Bronco asking if I was ready to go on the 20A antlerless moose huntÖ I thought he was going to work on his broke down ford over the weekend but I guess hunting was/more important. So come Thursday after work we are running around on post getting things together. We get one sled loaded up and we take off to my house in Wasilla I realized I forgot to by a tow pintle for one of my sleds so we stop in Eagle River and they have none so we continue on to Wasilla. The wind is howling across the hay flats and the rented sled from MWR the windshield cracked/blew in half. We get to my house and Bronco and another buddy load my sleds on the trailer while I go get ready ie grab my gear and guns and get permission from the wife to go.
    So we load up and off we go first stop Glenn Allen well first stop was Wal-Mart so Bronco could get his McDonalds fix. So after McDonalds we are on our way to Glenn Allen. We get there about 1100-1130 that night well maybe it was 12 who knows. We stop at Mod-Elan place because he is going as well. Around 0500-0530 we get on the road stop at the hub for gas and take off for delta jct. We get their around who 0830-0900 I guess. We stop take advantage of fillíer up Friday so we top off the tanks and take off toward Birch Lake. We got to birch lake and go additional mile to the trail head pull off, and we down load the sleds and camping gear. We take off; current temp was cold around -28. We are headed up the little delta river and it is cold but we are bundled up pretty good so we go about 30 miles until we get to the east and west fork of the little delta. We set up camp and relax for the rest of the evening. Before we go to bed, we check the temp and it say -38. I said that cannot be right but everyone but me was in agreement that was the right temp. We get up in the morning and the temps are not improving it is now -44 holy $&!@ it is cold we get the sleds fired up fueled up and off we go moose hunting did I mention it was -44.
    So we go about 6 miles up the west fork of the little delta and get up on the high ground with Mod Elan breaking trail we went for awhile and we stopped and started glassing and a moose is spotted bedded down. So Bronco told me to take the other guy down who has never shot anything and try to get a shot on the moose. So we move on down on our sleds we get to about 200yds or so and the moose stand up and another shows up so two moose. I told the other fella to get up next to me and get ready to shoot I have no idea what he was doing I do know he asked me if I wanted him to shoot off hand I told him yes. By then the moose were getting nervous and starting to move. So I said heck with it and touched off my 350 mag next thing you bullets are flying one moose goes down the other is hauling @$$ leaving the county. We hop on the sled get over there and the one moose is trying to get up so I pop him in the head and it is all over with.
    So after picture taking we start the task off skinning and I will tell you it is not fun skinning a moose at -44 it took us about an 3 hours to do it, itís funny how a knife will stick to a moose meat like glue ( I know Vince will be by soon and tell us how he skinned 4 moose out in -60 weather by himself in 1 hour) So we got it done all loaded minus a few problems with a sled we had to leave up on the mtn over night things went okay. Next day we went up to recover the other sled and Mod Elan drug it back it work on it while Bronco and I did some moose hunting it was a balmy -30 something on Sunday. We hunted for a few hours and Mod Elan shows up and asks if we want to keep hunting Bronco said nah lets head back to camp. At this point the fun meter was on empty and I was not feeling very motivated about skinning another moose in negative anything weather.
    Cont.....

Yow...that's some chilly hunting! I've done a walk-in caribou hunt off the Haul Road in -30 temps, but I don't think I've ever even felt what -40 feels like, let alone hunted in it. Hats off to you!

(On second thought, you'd better keep that hat on. Sounds like you needed it.)

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Yow...that's some chilly hunting! I've done a walk-in caribou hunt off the Haul Road in -30 temps, but I don't think I've ever even felt what -40 feels like, let alone hunted in it. Hats off to you!

(On second thought, you'd better keep that hat on. Sounds like you needed it.)
    Brian I grew up in Delta and Fairbanks and thought I was accustomed to cold weather but obviously the years I have spent out of state and here in the banana belt have taken their toll on me, that was COLD! Then again I didn't go out hunting when it was that cold.

Cont....

So next morning get up early to head back to the trucks and it has warmed up it is now -14 with. So we get loaded up and off we go and overflow is bad Mod Elan takes off in lead. We hit the first overflow not bad we make it through no issues. Now this is where the hunt turned into $%&@ real quick. Iím the last sled so everyone else makes it through the next patch of overflow but it is pretty tore up now. Iím sitting there thinking man this is not good I look to my right nope not an option look to my left nope not na option. Well I guess I will put this whole Sleds can skip over water myth to test, so I punch it Iím going I hit the first part sled bogs down and the track is grabbing and Iím moving a good thing I can see the bank getting closer Iím almost there, I bog down again I have my sled pegged I slowly start moving again then the **** thing just stopped now power so there I sit my back end buried in ice and water the front is sticking up you can see one ski the other one is in water and ice as well. I step off to go ashore uh no water past my knee this is not good. So Bronco comes down Mod Elan shows up with his sled and throw a rope on my a- arm and they tug me out werer close enough to the bank I bail off and yes a boot load of water this is really starting to suck. We pull the cover on my sled and the clutch is broke, the engine sucked water wow at least it is only -14.
    So we get the track to spin on mine after we pulled a big chunk of wood out the track and thawed out the brake pads because they were frozen. So we hook up to Bronco sled and we begin the epic 30 mile journey back to the trucks. We made back around 1630-1700 to the trucks. Donít ask how the Tanana was or anything else I wonít divulge any info sorry but that is how it has to be! If you want to know take the drive down and look for yourselves!

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

LOL that figures... how come you took the long way up and around? afraid to come see me?... and it was 6 moose in 1/2 an hour get your stories straight, at least you finally shot something. LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!! sounds like fun ( NOT!)

ps

if you LICK your knife blade inbetween cuts to warm it back up it wont stick...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

congrats on filling a tag and hats off to you all for hunting at 40 below, but my fun meter gets pegged about 15 below, anything colder and I hunt in the meat section at either the commissary or fred meyers which ever is warmer.

I didn't kill anything I just help the other guy kill it... He was happy 1st anything he killed. I had a chance at the other one but it didn't come together.

Congrats to you guys! Sounds like a fun trip or not, well the first 3/4 sounded great.

Glad you all are alive!!!

Quote Originally Posted by northway View Post
    Glad you all are alive!!!
    Lol yeah and your theory is kind of right... I guess having a sled running right would of helped.

Great story - I guess we can excuse you for not taking any pics since it was a bit "chilly" !
    I tried to duck hunt one day at about 5 below in high winds - Mallards were pouring in - guns froze up, boat motor quit, wet pants froze solid, it went from fun to no fun in minutes - I cannot even imagine going out for a moose size critter in -44... Hopefully they have counseling on the post for you fella's!
    Thx for sharing....
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

We have a few pics waiting for Bronco to download them so I can post some the best one is a picture of temp guage. I seriously thought it was broke cause I figured there was no way in He!! that is was -38 when we got into the area we were going to hunt.

Pretty impressive to bag a moose in conditions like that. Congrats to you guys.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by 323 View Post
    We have a few pics waiting for Bronco to download them so I can post some the best one is a picture of temp guage. I seriously thought it was broke cause I figured there was no way in He!! that is was -38 when we got into the area we were going to hunt.
    i seen lots of dead moose pics... i wanna see the one of you stepping off the sled..
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

great post, sounds like a good adventure! What kind of tent did you guys camp in? I went out myself but only at 25 below...stayed home the day I had a chance to go out at 35 below. No moose for me and I blew out my cargo sled (hate that brittle plastic in the cold) but at least I didn't find any overflow. Hoping to get back out if jury duty and quota stars align and I get another chance! Glad you guys connected on a moose and survived with a good story to tell!

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    i seen lots of dead moose pics... i wanna see the one of you stepping off the sled..
    I will get the pics up as soon as I get a chance, you will get a laugh Vince.
    Quote Originally Posted by akjw7 View Post
    great post, sounds like a good adventure! What kind of tent did you guys camp in? I went out myself but only at 25 below...stayed home the day I had a chance to go out at 35 below. No moose for me and I blew out my cargo sled (hate that brittle plastic in the cold) but at least I didn't find any overflow. Hoping to get back out if jury duty and quota stars align and I get another chance! Glad you guys connected on a moose and survived with a good story to tell!
    We were in a wall tent with a nice big wood stove and plenty of good firewood around us. You have to watch it with sleds, the mass produced ones are not made for Alaska and back country use, try looking at Siglin sleds they will not crack on you, heck they can even support a snowmachine in a pinch!

Oh Bronco has one of me just me standing on the sled in the middle of the water...

no they sure don't...got some great tips to build one right here on this forum - just need a nice piece of UHMW to fall out of the sky! Only thing I don't like about the siglin style sleds is that it's much harder to cover anything (like a load of small stuff on an ice fishing trip). A bunch of action packers and big duffel bags is the way to go I guess. Maybe this summer I'll finally get around to building one. Wall tent with a wood stove sounds awesome - you get style points too now!

im suppose to go do this hunt this weekend but it dosent sound like any fun, sound like a good job for an airboat with an 8.1 in it.

Quote Originally Posted by akjw7 View Post
    no they sure don't...got some great tips to build one right here on this forum - just need a nice piece of UHMW to fall out of the sky! Only thing I don't like about the siglin style sleds is that it's much harder to cover anything (like a load of small stuff on an ice fishing trip). A bunch of action packers and big duffel bags is the way to go I guess. Maybe this summer I'll finally get around to building one. Wall tent with a wood stove sounds awesome - you get style points too now!
    If you want to cover things up just drill holes and strap a tarp down, one good thing about those style sleds is their versality you can do just about anything with them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast