Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What are the most common to find at most store, large or smal most anywhere in AK

Default What are the most common to find at most store, large or smal most anywhere in AK

I figure 30-06 and 338 win mag would be in a lot of stores.
    Probably 223, 308, 300 win mag too.

Any others that you can just find anywhere ??

These are all available calibers here in Dillingham (a hub village in the SW portion of the state). I'd add 270 Win, 30/30 & 375 H&H as readily available also. 45/70 is normally a stocked item here as are a few handgun cartridges and of course 22 long rifle. Most everything that is available is on a limited basis; normally a single loading is available and oftentimes a single box. For example, you can nearly always find 30/06 ammo in town, but it may be 150, 180 or 220 grain bullets and could be from almost any manufacturer. There will not be options between various manufacturers or choosing whether you'd prefer a 180 Nosler Accubond or a 180 TSX. Your option will likely be a 180 Winchester Power Point; take it or leave it. There is also the issue of cost. Prices are commensurate with accessibility; you should expect prices to be double (frequently triple) for the same ammo you find in Anchorage.

Handloading is a blessing for those of us that live off the road system.
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

How about 44 magnum handgun ??
    I think that would be popular ??

How about 458 win mag ammo ??

I am just changing my rifle battery around a bit and intend to move to AK one day.
    Have a couple of savages so I can swap the barrels around.

Right now I have these barrels
    458 win mag
    338 win mag

Have a control feed long action and a short action right now.

Will probably swap my short action and sell the 308 sporter barrel and buy another long action
    and set that up as a 264 win mag or 7mm rem magnum.

Probably set up a 308 target barrel for target shooting.

I reload, but its nice to be able to pick up some ammo if an emergency or if your ammo gets lost
    on a trip.

Thanks for the info

I would probably add 7mm Remington Magnum to the list of "can find it almost anywhere". Also 12 and 20 gauge shotgun shells and 22lr.

Quote Originally Posted by tammons View Post

How about 458 win mag ammo ??

Thanks for the info
    This is sometimes hard to find in Anchorage and impossible to find in anything other than 500 grain loads.
    I may be slow, but I get where I'm going!

.30-30 can be found in any interior village store.
    Now what ?

If your going to live in Ak off the road system I suggest you start reloading. Stop in Anchorage on your way to where ever and pick up a supply of powder, primers and bullets for whatever you shoot. You are not going to find a reliable supply of the ammo you want in any of the villiages. And, if it's not a normal round, you may not find it in Anchorage. 264Win isn't real common here and 458Win isn't exactly piled on the shelves either. Three days after Obama was elected you couldn't find ammo for anything in Ak. including the lowly 22LR. We are in times of serious political unrest. Do not depend on stores continuing to have ammo on the shelf, or groceries or clothes or gas or anything else that you depend on. I hope I'm wrong but I think it's going to get worse before it gets better.

I reload 99% of my cartridges anyway.

Just curious about what is common up there.
    Think I am going to end up with 338 WM and 7mm Remington magnum
    barrels.

Probably will keep the 458 since I already have it.
    Its fun to shoot with 600 grain solids.

As below think I will pick up a 308 varmint contour barrel for target shooting and I just like the 308.

As far as politics, who knows what will happen.
    Pretty scary right now.
    I still have my Bows.

Does it drive anybody nuts that these forums are upside down ??
    Most go from top to bottom.

Quote Originally Posted by tammons View Post
    Does it drive anybody nuts that these forums are upside down ??
    Most go from top to bottom.
    You can change that. Click on "Settings" at the very top right of the page. Scroll down the left column and click on "general settings". Scroll down again and under Thread Display Options you'll see a pull-down menu labeled "thread display mode". Select "linear - oldest first". That should make it go in the correct direction for you.

(Note to self: I should probably change the default setting on that.)

As for your selections, seems like a good choice. I love my 30-06, but ever since I filled out my collection with a 7mm mag and a 338, I rarely take my 30-06 out anymore.

Its a real mixed bag... the gunstore in my town has just about anything you'd want and will get the rest. I was also in a village a few years back that unless it was .223 UMC Ball you were out of luck.

.22mag, .243win, .44mag, .45acp, .38spl and .357mag also very common.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by 1Cor15:19 View Post
    Handloading is a blessing for those of us that live off the road system.
    Isn't there a problem in taking powder on the Airlines?

IIRC, someone on this forum was using creative means, loading it temporarilly into large case cartridges to transport it.

How do you get your powder, and primers?

Thanks
    Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Will be interesting to hear how 1 Cor 15:19 gets his out to the bush, Standard air cargo ?

as for Loading on an Island, we can buy it at the local store (quite a bit less selection as well as about 15% higher prices)

so, the Air Cargo company, "Ace Air Cargo," working Kodiak run will bring Hazmat stuff down real inexpensively and quickly
    all the convenience of living in the city, well,...................plus a few bucks

plus the fun of traveling north, and "Driving in the City"
    Woo Hoo, these roads go on and on and on.......... Hmmm, I think maybe I need to try some 7828ssc
    Hey, Honey,....... what do YOU think, should we go shopping in Anchorage ??? Do we have any business we need to do in the City ??
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

270,223,308,30-06 and .22 in the villages around here.

It all depends on what is owned in the bush villages. Elim had .303 British, .35 Whelen and .35 Remington. The other mainstays wee there too. Shaktoolik had mostly the common ones. The needs dictate availability.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    Isn't there a problem in taking powder on the Airlines? ...How do you get your powder, and primers?
    Quote Originally Posted by kodiakrain View Post
    Will be interesting to hear how 1 Cor 15:19 gets his out to the bush, Standard air cargo?
    Smitty I've never attempted to take bulk powder on a commercial airline. I've no doubt hazmat items make it on planes into the bush, but I've not done it and of course cannot recommend it. There are several freight companies that deliver hazmat items to Dillingham, but I've only used a couple. I can recommend Everts Air and their prices are competitive. Buy powder in ANC, best to buy a bunch so I try to get several guys in DLG together and get a fairly large order. Everts charges a flat hazmat fee of $30 and then for shipments under 140# it's another $35-$80 depending upon fuel charges and whatnot. I figure $100 shipping from ANC split 3-5 ways (between several bush handloaders) is very reasonable. The only caveat is that you better have a fairly large powder stock. While the exact amount is not important, you should trust me when I say I have enough staple powders (RL22, IMR 4350, RL15) to last a long while, even at my shooting rate.
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Thanks 1Cor:

Where there's a will, there's a way, I reckon.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

When I lived / worked out in the villages it was easy to find 22 LR, 30-30, 30-06, 308 and 223. Plus 12 gauge of course.
    Generally speaking nobody needed or used anything bigger unless they were fairly well off. Some of the old timers still had caches of 30-40 Krag ammo stuck away for use in their Model 95 Winchesters.
    For some reason 357 Mag was very popular in Fort Yukon and Galena, over 20 years ago. A bunch of folks had Ruger Blackhawks in 357 and the A.C. store sold a bunch of Rossi M92 carbines in that caliber as well.

When I lived in South-East, it seemed like 44 mag was very easy to find in Petersburg and Wrangell. And oddly enough there were still quite a few boxes of 348 Winchester for the old , but deadly, Model 71 Winchesters.

The calibers always get bigger the closer you get to Anchorage.
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Float Pilot View Post
    The calibers always get bigger and cheaper the closer you get to Anchorage.
    Fixed it for you!
    I may be slow, but I get where I'm going!

Quote Originally Posted by Float Pilot View Post
    The calibers always get bigger the closer you get to Anchorage.
    Now that, is a classic line, Float Pilot

I'm finding, looking around Kodiak Island, Large Bear country if ever there was,
    that the shelves have mostly 30-06 of every grain and Factory imaginable, tho it is mostly Rows and Rows of 180 grain options.

The Old timers I know, they're all about the 30-06,
    "yeah, you can carry a few 200gr loads in your pocket, if you feel the need may arise, but the 30-06 will do the job fine"

Since you are looking beyond that in your OP, I'd probably add .270, .243,
    Well there's a lot of stuff here in the main stores, lots of .300Magnum of one sort or another
    Fair amount of .375, I think the govt folks issue those to F&G employess, not sure
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast