Thread: ? How to convert a zodiac to a jet motor, 5'' lift

Default ? How to convert a zodiac to a jet motor, 5'' lift

Hi Guys, I'm looking for some help on how to make my zodiac fit a jet unit, I need to lift the motor 5'' I think and was looking for a picture of one, or how I can weld one up to place on the back of the boat, I would like it to be removable as well so I can go from a prop to a jet, by removing a few bolts. If you have any pictures, or plans or ideas on how to build one, I would greatly apre*****e it.
    Or if you know where I can buy one resonable let me know.
    Thanks

Thumbs up lift bracket

Try a Google on "CMC manual motor lift". I had one on my 18' flatbottom river boat. I seasonally swapped from prop to jet. The unit raises and lowers by putting a socket wrench on a large central thread bolt and has lock down bolts on the bracket sides so it stays secure. I was very happy with this set up and believe it would work equally well on a zodiak. It will extend the motor a few inches more past the transom, which actually improved the jet performance in shallow water on my setup.

Default jet powered inflatable

You would be wise to search this forum and read what other have experienced with running a jet outboard on a standard zodiac style boat.

I had one and it was nothing but problems with dismal performance. You will find that most others have had the same or very simular experiences.

There is a inflatable out there that is made specifically for jet units and from what I hear it performs quite well.

Don't get me wrong, it can be done and there are many out there who may tell you what a great idea it is. I for one am not, and all I am saying is make sure to do your due diligance before you invest a bunch of time and money setting your boat up.

Tom

Go to J kimberly services and have him build you a riser,you'll need 5'' on a 16'' transome...good luck

Default Inflatable Jet Boats

Quote Originally Posted by Gunner1 View Post
    Hi Guys, I'm looking for some help on how to make my zodiac fit a jet unit, I need to lift the motor 5'' I think and was looking for a picture of one, or how I can weld one up to place on the back of the boat, I would like it to be removable as well so I can go from a prop to a jet, by removing a few bolts. If you have any pictures, or plans or ideas on how to build one, I would greatly apre*****e it.
    Or if you know where I can buy one resonable let me know.
    Thanks
    Hi Gunner

There are a few problems that you have to over come when trying to adapt an Outboard Jet to a conventional built inflatable sport boat like a typical Zodiac. Building a transom riser to give you the extra 5Ē transom height needed for an outboard Jet is the easiest thing to change.

To build a transom Riser you just need;
    ; A piece of Marine Plywood, thatís the same thickness as your transom, to use as a filler
    ; 2- pieces of quarter inch marine grade aluminum,
    ; 6- Stainless steel hex bolts Size 14 or larger
    ; 12- Stainless Steel blat head screws size 10 or 12

The Marine Plywood should be cut like a puzzle piece to fit against the top edge of your boat transom and extend 5 inches above the transom and it needs to be about 12 to 18 inches wide. The Two pieces of Aluminum flat stock should be 12 to 18 inches square.
    Sandwich the ply wood filler and transom between the 2 pieces of Aluminum.
    Through Bolt the aluminum plates front and back of lower transom using Good quality Stainless steel bolt about a size 14 or larger. Through bolt in at least 4 places but 6 would be better. Then screw the marine plywood filler piece between the two pieces of aluminum so it fits above the transom. Use counter sunk Stainless steel screws about a number 10 or 12 and they should be long enough to penetrate the plywood about 75% through. And youíll need to screw through both sides in about 6 places each but be careful not to put screws or bolts where they will interfere with mounting the out board motor.

You can easily unbolt the riser when you donít need the 20í transom height

Getting the transom height correct for your specific inflatable boat is a trial and error process but you can use shims under your outboard motor mount to get the optimum transom height for your boat and motor combination.

The biggest problems youíll have when using an Outboard Jet to a conventional built inflatable sport boat is the bottom of the transom is the lowest spot in the boat and subject to taking quite a beating. Most inflatable sport boats just have a single layer of fabric that covers over the bottom transom this is subject to wearing through very quickly,

The other problem you have is getting rid of the cavitations caused by the swirling water that comes off the hull of a conventional built inflatable sport boat. This swirl of water is caused by the flow of water around the stern edge of the keel where it meets the fabric edge attached to the transom. You have to drop the suction foot of your jet below this swirl. When you drop your suction foot below this swirl the leading edge of the suction foot tends to scoop water and create a lot of spray. Itís a tough thing just right with out building trim tabs on the back of your transom to control the flow of water off the back of the transom.

Another issue is how are the oars and oarlocks built? Youíll need a rowing system that will handle river currents just incase your motor is having troubles.

You might want to look at how the Alaska Series, Alaskan Ranger and the Alaskan Jet Ranger are built to get ideas on what you need to do to the bottom of an inflatable sport boat to make it heavy duty enough for motoring on rivers. The Alaska Series, Alaskan Jet Ranger is specifically designed as an Inflatable Jet Boat.
    http://www.alaskaseries.com/alaskan_jet%20ranger.htm

I hope this helps.

Good Boating

Jim King
    Alaska Series Inflatable Boats,
    Commercial quality at Wholesale prices
    River Rafts, Catarafts, Inflatable Kayaks, Inflatable Canoes, Inflatable Sport Boats, Inflatable Jet Boats, Tenders and Dinghies.
    WWW.alaskaseries.com
    (907) 248-2900