Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sheep judging sticky?

Default Sheep judging sticky?

I know this comes up often and the posts are usually filled with a lot of bickering and it can be tough to get good info.

I'm going on my first sheep hunt this fall and trying to learn all I can about judging sheep. It would be nice if we could have a thread that just had a ton of pics with horn lengths, age, full curl, etc. Factual stuff to go off of.

It would be great if we could have a thread that had all of it in one spot that we could refer back to and find easily. And a thread that didn't have a bunch of pages with nothing but writing and bickering.

Is this possible?

Quote Originally Posted by mossyhorn View Post

"...It would be great if we could have a thread that had all of it in one spot that we could refer back to and find easily. And a thread that didn't have a bunch of pages with nothing but writing and bickering.
    Is this possible?
    Probably not! However - there may be several workshops on sheep and brown bear hunting conducted next month in the Anchorage area.
    Joe

It's certainly possible. Maybe we could restrict it to only sheep pictures with their measurements and descriptions? No commentary, no questions - just information along with pictures? If we're going to open it up to questions and commentary, eventually it'll get tough to follow and less useful as a long-term, persistent thread.

It would be cool to have photos of live rams too. That way the viewer could test their own sheep judging abilities.

I think that would be a great resource Brian.

I throw a vote towards that as well. Leave the soap boxes out of it :O) Would be nice idea.

If your gonna make a sticky for sheep might as well do one for moose, goats & bears also....their all helpful

Are you guys looking for a "Cheat Sheet" to replace experience? Look at a few photos on your computer and you're good to go? (grin)

Quote Originally Posted by SuperCub View Post
    Are you guys looking for a "Cheat Sheet" to replace experience? Look at a few photos and your good to go?
    Nothing wrong with studying during the winter months. Nothing tops experience, but for the fellas that are new to this, it can only be wise to look at sheep folks have harvested along with the official word from the sealers. Heck, even for those with experience, it can't hurt to look at more sheep.

Just be sure to deduct at least an inch off every dead Ram posted in a photo. They always seem to grow once they're dead. (grin)

Quote Originally Posted by wantj43 View Post
    Probably not! However - there may be several workshops on sheep and brown bear hunting conducted next month in the Anchorage area.
    Joe
    Joe, can you give any more info, would love to attend both of them?

Jason
    "In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks." John Muir

make it happen Brian, it's just another way for the newer generation of hunters to get an advantage in the field.
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

Uhhh... hoose35, The best way to give the newer generation an "advantage" is to get them out in the field! Not internet pictures of what they are going to expect, on their first trip. Granted, they DID ask their Computer "how" and "what does a Sheep look like?" First! I guess thats research...? I've turned in 2 newbies for killing illegal sheep. And will everytime I see one. Sheep are Not a "newbie" animal. Lot's of room for error.

And will everytime I see one. Sheep are Not a "newbie" animal. Lot's of room for error.
    I agree to a point, but every serious sheep hunter had to kill his first at some point. An educational thread isn't meant to be a substitute for field experience, but it certainly can't hurt to study at home as well.

I appreciate a doctor that has had lots of practice, but I certainly hope they read up and look at lots of pictures before working on their first surgical patient. They've got to make that first cut at some point, so perhaps a few pictures along the way couldn't hurt. Yep, following an experienced person is the best practice, but it shouldn't be the only practice. I don't see how a thread here is so terribly different.

Too many "Instant Gratification" hunters these days. It's a new way of thinking from generations past. Spawned by the internet.

Uhhh... hoose35, The best way to give the newer generation an "advantage" is to get them out in the field! Not internet pictures of what they are going to expect, on their first trip. Granted, they DID ask their Computer "how" and "what does a Sheep look like?" First! I guess thats research...? I've turned in 2 newbies for killing illegal sheep. And will everytime I see one. Sheep are Not a "newbie" animal. Lot's of room for error.
    Are you volunteering to get off your computer and go afield with a new guy to show him the ropes?

You first......... I show my friends and family. Just don't show every stranger, wannabe with an internet connection.

p.s. Did the Farmer tell you where to go? Ha ha

You first......... I show my friends and family. Just don't show every stranger, wannabe with an internet connection.

p.s. Did the Farmer tell you where to go? Ha ha
    Well, you sir are very fortunate to have friends and family to share hunting knowledge with, not everyone is so lucky.

Are you telling me that you have no friends? Or family? Come-on... I don't believe that.

I never said a thread with pics is the best tool, I simply said it was a tool. If there is nothing to be gained here on the forum, then why are you here?
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast